Let's go out of Sneck

39 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Clue

6262FFFF-DEE1-4297-AD34-856DC6385743.jpeg

Tarbet Ness

13 hours ago, IBM said:

I know that one although it looks different from where you took the photo.  

There is a weeman that should get it as well if he has been on :smile:

Didn't get it actually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2015 at 9:19 AM, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Yes, I think that is Castle Stuart G C.

It reminds me of a house from my childhood, on Culduthel Road, way past Burn Road and Lodge Road.   This house was owned by one of the many Italian shop/cafe owners we had in Sneck (Frankie Rizza?,  possibly).  He named it 'Over and above', not for its imposing position on high ground, but because, during its development, every time he talked to the builder the price went up, with the builder saying "over and above there's this to pay for" and "over and above there's that to pay for" etc.

Funny what sticks in ones memory!

It was my great grandads, Francesco Rizza. He designed and lived at 125 Culduthel Road. 

• 1 month later...

Used to end up at that church sometimes when we were having a run in the car.

Probably quite a few of my mothers' ancestral relatives buried there, not to mention clan chiefs.

My wife traced my mother's family.  Earliest records for her father's side have them in the Moidart peninsula.  Then they gradually moved eastwards, eventually coming up both sides of Loch Ness, with my great-grandfather being married in the Abbey at Fort Augustus not long after it opened.  A couple of years ago my wife had us traipsing round the burial ground at Boleskine, looking in vain for a specific grave, and we also visited Drumtemple, where we were in luck.

What's Mantis got against McGillivrays?  :lol:

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Used to end up at that church sometimes when we were having a run in the car.

Probably quite a few of my mothers' ancestral relatives buried there, not to mention clan chiefs.

My wife traced my mother's family.  Earliest records for her father's side have them in the Moidart peninsula.  Then they gradually moved eastwards, eventually coming up both sides of Loch Ness, with my great-grandfather being married in the Abbey at Fort Augustus not long after it opened.  A couple of years ago my wife had us traipsing round the burial ground at Boleskine, looking in vain for a specific grave, and we also visited Drumtemple, where we were in luck.

What's Mantis got against McGillivrays?  :lol:

The burial place of many of them!  Dunlichity Church.

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

Edited by IBM

Sorry guys, came on to wake the thread up out of hibernation and obviously it's me been doing the hibernating... 

Here's one from last month. I'll need the 4 letter name of the house. It's by a main road.

R5__9339.jpg

On 11/19/2020 at 11:14 PM, IBM said:

My first trip "Doon the water" was in 2012 a beautiful sunny day Glasgow, Greenock, Helensburgh, Dunoon to Rothsay and return.  A great trip on a fantastic old steamer, fantastic watching the engines working!  I had a second trip in 2017 on a wet day from Kyle, Portree, Gairloch to Loch Torridon and return.  The photos below are after my first trip there was then a Booze Cruse in the evening.

IMG_8798.JPG

We were in Glasgow in January. You must have seen the Riverside Museum as it opened in 2011. I went over the other side for a photo and seconds later the lights went off

R5__7574.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Sorry guys, came on to wake the thread up out of hibernation and obviously it's me been doing the hibernating... 

Here's one from last month. I'll need the 4 letter name of the house. It's by a main road.

R5__9339.jpg

I know it well what a good photo without the road :smile: you must have taken a detour when heading for the ferry.

I will give anyone else a chance, I know weeman has passed it often.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, IBM said:

I know it well what a good photo without the road :smile: you must have taken a detour when heading for the ferry.

I will give anyone else a chance, I know weeman has passed it often.

This one was 5 minutes earlier 😂R5__9333.jpg