Let's go out of Sneck

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Nope, me neither.  Odd - large house, but corrugated iron roof.  Built-up area - pavement, and services under the pavement.

Is that a large vertical sign at the right-hand end of the house?  Under magification, it looks like some kind of stylised script - maybe the alphabet we use, but possibly Hebrew or further east, a Runic script, or even something invented by Tolkien.  Very little on each line - is it a list of names?   Looks like a pattern of red and green things down each side - can't make them out - some sort of gourd or chili pepper?

Go on - tell me how wrong I am  :lol:

It’s just a few lines about how valuable art is iirc. A bit more than half an hour south from Sneckie if you stick to the speed limits…

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

It’s just a few lines about how valuable art is iirc. A bit more than half an hour south from Sneckie if you stick to the speed limits…

I have it now and passed it many times without noticing it, just along the road from Laurence the bookseller who used to post on the forum, he might even stay next door.

24 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Ah! I was going to guess Aviemore area. But I know where Laurence used to be - may even have bought a book or two from him - so I'll have a closer look on Monday.

Never bought a book from him but know where he stayed can't remember how I worked that out :lol: it's further along the line :wink: 

1 minute ago, IBM said:

Never bought a book from him but know where he stayed can't remember how I worked that out :lol: it's further along the line :wink: 

weeman will be having a look as well but I don't think he has worked in the jointbox on the footpath as the cover is on :lol:

• Funny 1

Looks a wee bit different on Google Maps.  The lines about art in what I thought were a funny script start off "Art is the Flower - Life is the Green Leaf.".  This is a quote by Charles Rennie Mackintosh - https://libquotes.com/charles-rennie-mackintosh/quote/lbw6u1j  .  The red and green things down the edges of the board, that I thought might be chili peppers, are presumably Mackintosh roses, and the funny-looking script is reminiscent of the fonts associated with him.

Annoyingly, I can't read or find the name of the cottage, and I can't find any actual connection with CRM.

1291635571_crmcottage.jpg.73c6f24f8e797d274c930f408d5fa943.jpg

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Looks a wee bit different on Google Maps.  The lines about art in what I thought were a funny script start off "Art is the Flower - Life is the Green Leaf.".  This is a quote by Charles Rennie Mackintosh - https://libquotes.com/charles-rennie-mackintosh/quote/lbw6u1j  .  The red and green things down the edges of the board, that I thought might be chili peppers, are presumably Mackintosh roses, and the funny-looking script is reminiscent of the fonts associated with him.

Annoyingly, I can't read or find the name of the cottage, and I can't find any actual connection with CRM.

1291635571_crmcottage.jpg.73c6f24f8e797d274c930f408d5fa943.jpg

Firhill cottage. It's the brown bit above the mailbox, behind the branch.

13 hours ago, weeman said:

Here's another claim for the centre.

Image 1 - Vintage Photograph Tigh-Na-Geat; Pitlochry Scotland (860)

I have no idea where that house is.  I was told a story many years ago from a man who did work for a previous owner of Glentruim house who I think he said was a doctor and he claimed there was a spring in the grounds that was the centre of Scotland.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:43 AM, weeman said:

Here's another claim for the centre.

Image 1 - Vintage Photograph Tigh-Na-Geat; Pitlochry Scotland (860)

11 hours ago, IBM said:

I have no idea where that house is.  I was told a story many years ago from a man who did work for a previous owner of Glentruim house who I think he said was a doctor and he claimed there was a spring in the grounds that was the centre of Scotland.

The house is still there anyway...

https://goo.gl/maps/dbrmx5ykS3QXGhZXA

Edited by TheMantis

On 6/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, weeman said:

Maybe one just for Mantis,

WR.jpg

Looks like Shenavall bothy. Is this your own pic? In which case well done on getting there. 
I was there in April 1988 and I regret that I'll never make it back now. My knees were like jelly carrying about 40lbs in.

dia_0172-1 (dragged).jpg

Here's 3 of us after a 12 1/2 hour day out on 4 Munros. Jim in the middle is 85 this year and Ian on the right died from cancer about 20 years ago.

shenavall.jpg