Let's go out of Sneck

Only been to this ground, perhaps 4 times, but I'm familiar with this enclosure, fondly known as the 'cowshed'!

Apparently, today was the last time it will be seen, as it's now to be demolished and replaced with a 'safer' alternative. I know we live in a 'Health & Safety' culture, but it's always a shame to see historical structures succumbing to the rules.... 

Anyway, I assume today was this clubs last home fixture of the season - fans were crowding in there (with phone-cams aloft) taking final pictures for posterity!

So...which ground is it?

post-3020-0-93932400-1428167602_thumb.jp

Edited by Sneckboy

Only been to this ground, perhaps 4 times, but I'm familiar with this enclosure, fondly known as the 'cowshed'!

Apparently, today was the last time it will be seen, as it's now to be demolished and replaced with a 'safer' alternative. I know we live in a 'Health & Safety' culture, but it's always a shame to see historical structures succumbing to the rules.... 

Anyway, I assume today was this clubs last home fixture of the season - fans were crowding in there (with phone-cams aloft) taking final pictures for posterity!

So...which ground is it?

attachicon.gifstand.jpg

Station Park Nairn if I'm not mistaken, where I believe the fans have been mounting a major fundraising effort for new spectator facilities.

In this instance, i would have to quote the unnamed worthy who asked why a club which is claimed to have an extremely generous player wage structure has to rely on its fans to hold fundraisers to improve its ground?

PS - much of the time Elfin Safety is a complete pain in the backside and a tragic symptom of the Politically Correct obsession which our society allows itself to become subject to.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

That's correct indeed!

Station Park, Nairn. A lovely wee 'traditional' football ground where one can still stand on a grassed embankment and walk around during the game.

Watching the game behind the goals at the 'end' your team were attacking - in each half (after wandering round to the other end of the ground at half-time) must seem such a bizarre and alien concept for those accustomed to all-seater stadiums!

• Agree 1

Nor me, I presume the building must have been a weather station or research station, did not know there was ever a building up there although I knew there was a Model T Ford driven up!

That very much looks like a WW1 photo, especially from the design of the ships. The Cromarty Firsth was a naval base from WW1 right through until, I believe 1957 and I just remember ships there when I used to visit my aunt and uncle.

The main base at Scapa Flow was just that bit too far North to grab "the Hun" if his fleet came out of Wilhelmshaven so there were also bases at Cromarty and Rosyth on the Forth where some of the larger RN ships were based. One promlem with Rosyth was that if anyone contrived to destroy the Forth Rail Bridge, the ships would have been stuck there.

One memorable incident at Cromarty/ Invergordon was when a cruiser, I believe the Natal, blew up in port in about 1917. I remember interviewing an eyewitness about 70 years on for the BBC.

Then there was the "Battle of Jemimaville" when they imagined that a U boat had got into the first and they started plastering the area with gunfire, with minor collateral damage on shore.

In WW2, by which time all ships were oil powered and there was (and still is) an extensive array of oil tanks just above Invergordon High St, the Luftwaffe tried to bomb this fuel supply and hit one tank..... number 13. The gap can still be seen.

Ross Sutherland Rugby Club and Invergordon Academy are both built on the former Admiralty playing fields where I remember my uncle playing cricket. My aunt and uncle lived in a cottage on a scheme originally built in WW1 for Naval officers but which were sold after the war.