Let's go out of Sneck

Nearly forgot to say, that was the Forsinard Flows Lookout Tower.   Or "viewing platform Highlands Scotland", if you're searching for it.

And just when I think I'm running out of photographs, I rediscover another of my Dad's.  This one is from 1954 or 1955.  Should be meat-and-drink for all you ferry fetishists  :lol:

2139240613_0190sml.jpg.1b55cb8ecb70da5400bbc3687493bda0.jpg

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
forgot to identify previous photograph

14 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Nearly forgot to say, that was the Forsinard Flows Lookout Tower.   Or "viewing platform Highlands Scotland", if you're searching for it.

And just when I think I'm running out of photographs, I rediscover another of my Dad's.  This one is from 1954 or 1955.  Should be meat-and-drink for all you ferry fetishists  :lol:

2139240613_0190sml.jpg.1b55cb8ecb70da5400bbc3687493bda0.jpg

It's here, replaced by a bridge

7J1A8440.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

Looks like Mallaig to me. I’ve not been there for many years but spent my school years 40 miles east of there along the A830. 

That is indeed Mallaig. 

I've never been there, and eventually worked it by figuring out that other pictures on the same roll of film were of Fort William, and then looking to see what places had both large CalMac ferries and a moored lifeboat.

53 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

That is indeed Mallaig. 

I've never been there, and eventually worked it by figuring out that other pictures on the same roll of film were of Fort William, and then looking to see what places had both large CalMac ferries and a moored lifeboat.

It's like the rest of Scotland if the weather is good it's beautiful, a nice run from Fort William and in the summer you can time it to see the steam train or have a day trip on the train which I have not done yet!

When the fishing was at it's peak there were 40 lorry loads going out daily and the road was mainly single track then.

I once asked a policeman where was the worst place in the north he was stationed and he replied Mallaig, it was a wild place when the pubs were full of fishermen according to him.

It was cold at Loch Ashie that morning but here is a colder one at the same place when I was on my way back from Gorthleck one frosty morning.  When I sent the one showing the temperature outside the van to my colleagues one from Edinburgh phoned me and asked how managed to do that :lol:

PICT2429.JPG

PICT2431.JPG

PICT2422.JPG

• Agree 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:18 PM, IBM said:

I think this one might be a bit tricky but it might not for some 

That was one that I didn't have to search for - just used Google Streetview to confirm my first thoughts.  I used to live up Culduthel Road, so often used to head out on the roads up to Ashie and Duntelchaig, by bike or by car.

That view hasn't changed, but I was just looking at the MacBean Memorial Park on Streetview, and hardly recognised it.  All those trees!  It was bare, open countryside when I used to go there.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Not easy, but I have worked it out.  I think you're showing us only half of it.

Will leave it for a while in case anyone else is looking at it.

Can't figure out where you took it from.  Were you on a boat?

It's taken from the shore road and that's the east side.