IBM Transport

Nah you had to buy from their catalogue, same thing with Kensitas, Fags followed by greenshield stamps with which if I remember rightly you could part exchange for petrol costing under 4/- a gallon

You're going back a bit! I think I have a vague early memory of 5 bob and when I worked in the Millerton filling station at Torvean in 1969 it ranges from 6/3d for 91 octane through to 6/7d for 99 octane on the mixer pump and 6/8d for 101 on a separate pump.

The Americans were so dismayed that these "high" prices that they would inevitably tell you to "fill it up with regular" - in other words the least expensive 91 octane, irrespective of what their hire car really needed.

When I was very young, we stayed briefly in Balloch before we moved back into Inverness.  I remember travelling in 'Jimmy's bus' when I went shopping with my Mum to town.  It was an old Bedford bus, older than the one at stance 6, but not unlike it. 'Jimmy' was a private operator with just the one bus.  He lived in Croy and travelled back and fore from Croy to Inverness several times a day.  I doubt that there was an official timetable.

Great thread.

Can anyone (Charles?) answer the questions I asked in post # 26 please?

thanks.  S.P.

My guess would be the Eastgate Hotel but Charles might know beter, he is older than me :wink:

Good pictures Tichy!  The first 2 show the old ramp at Macrae & Dicks from different sides, I have seen the one of the Albion double decker before with the tin garage behind which was Macrae & Dick's as well.  The minister beside the Bedford j series bus looks happy, note the Bedford Dormobile Black Maria parked outside the police station, anyone going to admit to being in the back of one of them?  Did anyone have a Honda 50 like the one beside the red & blue Highland AEC?  

I remember when I was very young going into McGruther and Marshall's there in Station Square with my mother when she went to pay the coal account - back in the days when you used to get handrwitten bills and go to the company's premises to settle them in cash. What I didn't remember was that MacRae and Dick had a taxi office in the corner there.

I initially thought that was Station Square but didn't recognize the building on the right.  After what Charles said I had another look and realized he is right :smile: on looking closer you can see the Railways War Memorial which is still there on the wall above the old Austin Taxi.  Looking at the Taxi Office it looks like there was a lane between the two buildings.

I recall seeing old photos that showed horse and cart taxis outside the station - must have been pre 1920s.

There have been various taxi ranks in Inverness over the years. The back of the Caley Hotel was one, and I have seen photos of that as late as the 1950s. There were also horse drawn taxis at the Town House and the Station is another place where they would inevitably have been. I'm not sure about any more.

I initially thought that was Station Square but didn't recognize the building on the right.  After what Charles said I had another look and realized he is right :smile: on looking closer you can see the Railways War Memorial which is still there on the wall above the old Austin Taxi.  Looking at the Taxi Office it looks like there was a lane between the two buildings.

IBM, the building on the right is the old station facade which was replaced, I think in the 60s, by what we have now.