IBM Transport

When I was a boy in the 60's and first seen the Macbraynes buses they were that colour but not got a clue where it came from but I don't think it has anything to do with the Highland Rugby Club but CB might know different.  I liked the colour red, cream and green and also liked the highlander with the shield and sword on the side. 

When I was a boy in the 60's and first seen the Macbraynes buses they were that colour but not got a clue where it came from but I don't think it has anything to do with the Highland Rugby Club but CB might know different.  I liked the colour red, cream and green and also liked the highlander with the shield and sword on the side. 

Certainly both have been red and green for as long as I can remember.... which is longer than I care to admit!

A Ford Consul followed by a Standard Vanguard both from the 50's and behind an AEC Mantador which would have been ex army or RAF and yes Scarlet it is the Culcabock crossroads looking east :clapping: , the two houses are still there with another in between!  Looks as the water is running down from Culcabock Avenue on the right in the days before Kingswell Filling Station. 

IBM

IHE. Thanks for replying And IBM thank you also for your kind reply.

I am extremely indebted to you. And it's a huge emotional experience for me right now--something that I could never have imagined. This means so much to me since my mother was born in the left house with her 3 brothers and her sister , my Auntie Neen, who married the American serviceman in the nineteen forties. She lived there, I think, until she married my father and then of course, moved to Dunain Road.

I visited the house called Spring Cottage with my mother as a very young boy but not often. We took the bus from Dunain Road to the Station Square where we got another bus up to Culcabock. 

I remember my grandmother but not my grandpa since he had died about a year or so before I was born in 1938. And certain features of the insides such as the old fashioned range in the kitchen where Grandma did her baking and which was a very large metal stove with an equally large stack pipe disappearing into the ceiling. Downstairs, there was a  front parlour on the right side (looking at it from the front), a bedroom on the left and bedrooms upstairs which I never entered for some reason. The pantry was off the kitchen at the back and there was a little garden at the back where I used to run up to the wire fence, climb on it and look over the field to the hospital area. The only other occupant of the home was Princey, their black and old dog .

Also, I would run round the house and stare down King Duncan's well situated a few yards to the left of the house, just left of the wall-end and telegraph pole just out of site in this photograph. There were hedges at the front on the left and right of the gate and exiting the gate could be very hazardous since there was no pavement and the roadway more or less ran right up to the edge of the front pathway. Needless to say there was very little traffic but my folks must have had a lot of faith in me, the very little fella, since they never did try to restrict my movements around the house although I am sure they somehow kept an eye on me.

IHE I will send you a PM and I would like to ask if  you can please send me a copy of that photo since it brings back so many memories. Many, many thanks .

Roderick (aka S.P.)

• Agree 1

The buses at the top of this page are in Grantown, at the top end of the High Street and the Square, opposite what would have been Waterford Hotel, Jimmy Calder senior's old place. Flats now.

Triumph Herald with an Austin or Morris 11 or 13 hundred behind.  They were the panda cars when I moved into Inverness in 1968 they were light blue with white doors.  I don't remember Lipton off sales up stairs but I was just a boy then!  Clydesdale TV was there for a long time, the Army Careers is now for all Armed Services and Lipton supermarket closed in the 70's.

Triumph Herald with an Austin or Morris 11 or 13 hundred behind.  They were the panda cars when I moved into Inverness in 1968 they were light blue with white doors.  I don't remember Lipton off sales up stairs but I was just a boy then!  Clydesdale TV was there for a long time, the Army Careers is now for all Armed Services and Lipton supermarket closed in the 70's.

Was it really as early as the 70s? That means it can't have occupied that site for much more than 10 years but it felt like longer than that. Did Liptons then move to the current Tesco Metro site when that was developed after Rossleigh's Garage disappeared?

The photo must have been taken before the Library moved to Farraline Park but I'm not 100% sure when that was. Certainly it would have been after Eden Court opened in 197?6 because the former Farraline Park School (of which my dad was Dux in 1932) housed the Arts Centre for as long as that was the only theatre Inverness had.

The only other observation I would make is that the bird crossing the road seems to have pretty fat legs (or has being allowed to say that been banned since that photo was taken?) :lol:

I will claim freedom of speech on the grounds that, after all..... "Je suis Charlie"!

Was it really as early as the 70s? That means it can't have occupied that site for much more than 10 years but it felt like longer than that. Did Liptons then move to the current Tesco Metro site when that was developed after Rossleigh's Garage disappeared?

The photo must have been taken before the Library moved to Farraline Park but I'm not 100% sure when that was. Certainly it would have been after Eden Court opened in 197?6 because the former Farraline Park School (of which my dad was Dux in 1932) housed the Arts Centre for as long as that was the only theatre Inverness had.

The only other observation I would make is that the bird crossing the road seems to have pretty fat legs (or has being allowed to say that been banned since that photo was taken?) :lol:

I will claim freedom of speech on the grounds that, after all..... "Je suis Charlie"!

Yes Charles I worked in WM Low which was across the road on the corner beside the river 1972-73 and I am sure it was closed then with Low's being the largest supermarket in the town then getting 2 artic deliveries a week plus fresh foods!  It was Low's that moved to the Rossleigh site I think the early 80's and was then taken over by Tesco.