IBM Transport

Two beauties

The Vauxhall Cresta, I have never seen an estate, nice cars but a lot of chrome to polish!

Aye and a lot of rust thereafter !!

They were all prone to rust in them days, as a boy I seen one Cresta with huge holes inside the boot at each side of the lower rear wings.  They were known to be light in the rear when cornering and this one had been filled with sand on each side which got wet and caused the rust.  The owner traded it in for a brand new red Ford Corsair!

Was transport different in Beauly ?

The Square in Byoolee where the Highland Cross finishes. I will not tempt the correction of IBM by suggesting early 1980s on the basis of the motors.

Could be Charles but more likely to be mid to late 70's.  The small brown one coming out of the square is a Simca 1000, the white one behind the Mini is an Austin/Morris 1800 which was a big flop for British Leyland, the yellow Austin Maxi was a revolution in the late 60's a hatchback with 5 doors and folding rear seats but the build quality of BL let it down.  The yellow Reliant Scimitar across the road was a great performance car in contrast with its baby brother the Robin!  The light blue van at the front is a Hillman Imp built in Linwood. 

Was transport different in Beauly ?

The Square in Byoolee where the Highland Cross finishes. I will not tempt the correction of IBM by suggesting early 1980s on the basis of the motors.

Could be Charles but more likely to be mid to late 70's.  The small brown one coming out of the square is a Simca 1000, the white one behind the Mini is an Austin/Morris 1800 which was a big flop for British Leyland, the yellow Austin Maxi was a revolution in the late 60's a hatchback with 5 doors and folding rear seats but the build quality of BL let it down.  The yellow Reliant Scimitar across the road was a great performance car in contrast with its baby brother the Robin!  The light blue van at the front is a Hillman Imp built in Linwood. 

I'll go with that. I simply guess on the basis of what the cars sort of look like. You know what they all are!

• Agree 1

LWB Landrover, Bedford HA van, 4 Ford Cortina Mk1's, Vauxhall Viva HB & Jaguar Mk2 parked on the east side of the castle with the roofs of the shops on Castle St just behind the Jag!

IBM, I have to hand it to you .      You certainly know your onions. :smile:

But, then again, so did Onion Johnny from France a lonnnnnnng time ago. And he rode only a bicycle with wide handelbars. :clapping:

I was just talking about the Onion Johnny last night when I was about 6 year old there was one who came round Fort Augustus and I thought it was a long way to cycle from France with a load of onions on your handlebars :ohmy:

• Agree 1

Ha! Ha!  Ha!  ...... You are a wag.

Says something for your imagination though. :lol:

I told you he had large handelbars on the bike. Rumour has it that OJ tossed onion seeds onto the handlebars and they sprouted and were large and ripe by the time he had pedalled across the Channel from Normandy. Ahhhhhhhhhh :crazy:

Ha! Ha!  Ha!  ...... You are a wag.

Says something for your imagination though. :lol:

I told you he had large handelbars on the bike. Rumour has it that OJ tossed onion seeds onto the handlebars and they sprouted and were large and ripe by the time he had pedalled across the Channel from Normandy. Ahhhhhhhhhh :crazy:

I never herd that one but I am sure some kids would believe it!  Mind you young lids would not know what an Onion Johnny was because like everything else you get them in a supermarket...........opps going of topic.

LWB Landrover, Bedford HA van, 4 Ford Cortina Mk1's, Vauxhall Viva HB & Jaguar Mk2 parked on the east side of the castle with the roofs of the shops on Castle St just behind the Jag!

IBM...........Where are the thirty nine steps.............................................................?