IBM Transport

My favorite one there is the Blue Jensen CV8 which was the forerunner to the Interceptor.  The sound of the Chrysler V8 was magic to a young boys ears compared to the average family cars.  Here is an Interceptor and a few others from the Inverness Classic Car Show this year.

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6167.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

10 hours ago, IBM said:

My favorite one there is the Blue Jensen CV8 which was the forerunner to the Interceptor.  The sound of the Chrysler V8 was magic to a young boys ears compared to the average family cars.

And for the record, from the top left we have:

• - Daimler SP250 - 1960
  • - Shelby Cobra - 1972
  • - Jensen CV8 - 1965
  • - Iso Grifo Series 2 - early 70s
  • - Vauxhall Victor - 1962 - in 1974, I passed my test (first time!) in a 1962 Victor similar to this one
  • - Chevrolet Corvette - very late 1950s - my favourite - I'm not normally a fan of American cars, but this one was drop-dead gorgeous.

My next door neighbour in St Albans used to keep an Interceptor in his garage, as "an investment".  However, the galloping tin worm was advancing rapidly across it.  And the engine, when he fired it up, sounded like a collection of nuts and bolts inside a tumble dryer.  Now I can't remember what happened to it.

Going back into the mists of time, our family car was once a black 1953 Velox, identical in appearance to that Wyvern, with all that metalwork at the front.  We once collided head-on on our driveway* with a Post Office Morris Minor van.  There wasn't a mark on the Velox, but the front of the Moggie van was in a very sorry state.

*driveway - not as posh as it sounds - we lived in a flat in what used to the Highland Orphanage at 71 Culduthel Road.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

On 7/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

And for the record, from the top left we have:

• - Daimler SP250 - 1960
  • - Shelby Cobra - 1972
  • - Jensen CV8 - 1965
  • - Iso Grifo Series 2 - early 70s
  • - Vauxhall Victor - 1962 - in 1974, I passed my test (first time!) in a 1962 Victor similar to this one
  • - Chevrolet Corvette - very late 1950s - my favourite - I'm not normally a fan of American cars, but this one was drop-dead gorgeous.

My next door neighbour in St Albans used to keep an Interceptor in his garage, as "an investment".  However, the galloping tin worm was advancing rapidly across it.  And the engine, when he fired it up, sounded like a collection of nuts and bolts inside a tumble dryer.  Now I can't remember what happened to it.

Going back into the mists of time, our family car was once a black 1953 Velox, identical in appearance to that Wyvern, with all that metalwork at the front.  We once collided head-on on our driveway* with a Post Office Morris Minor van.  There wasn't a mark on the Velox, but the front of the Moggie van was in a very sorry state.

*driveway - not as posh as it sounds - we lived in a flat in what used to the Highland Orphanage at 71 Culduthel Road.

The Interceptor might be the one that was in Inverness because the owner rescued it from scrap and changed the colour I can't remember what he said it was :lol:

The woman standing beside the Wyvren was waiting for her husband to come back with the keys and asked if I wanted to buy it!  The new building which is going to be flats and shop units below in Academy Street where the old SMT showroom/Farmfoods was is going to be called Wyvren House so the powers at be are getting something right.

i was looking at an old map of Inverness last week and noticed the Highland Orphanage which I didn't know about and doing a bit of investigation tonight found this.......... every day is a school day :smile:

https://www.cookcollection.co.uk/highland-orphanage/

And I forgot to mention the cars I would never have got the  Iso Grifo Series 2 - early 70s ?

My ones were Jensen Interceptor, Humber Scepter, Lotus Cortina which is owned a raced by a local Charlie Donaldson, Vauxhall Wyvren and Rover 75 beside the Macbrayne's buses at the castle.

15 hours ago, IBM said:

I was looking at an old map of Inverness last week and noticed the Highland Orphanage which I didn't know about and doing a bit of investigation tonight found this.......... every day is a school day :smile:

https://www.cookcollection.co.uk/highland-orphanage/

In case you, or anyone else, is interested, I have just posted some stuff under the heading "Highland Orphanage - Culduthel Road".

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 7:30 PM, IBM said:

Having never herd of a DKW before I had a look on Wiki and after reading about them I think the Anglia 105e would have been a much better car.

Glad you are not getting bored weeman :wink:

Never seen a DKW but I remember it was in my I-SPY book of cars when I was at school ?

Here's my first car. CFS 816B, bought for £85 in 1975. And IBM can say what the other one is.

Untitled (2).jpg

Oh Mantis what a rust bucket and being your first car you would have been proud as punch :lol: I bet it was rotten under the bonnet as well.  It would have been a good runner though and quite comfy with a good size boot.  It looks strange seeing the old cross-ply tyres where as now on a family saloon now would be twice as wide!

The car behind is an Austin A40 Farina.

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Oh Mantis what a rust bucket and being your first car you would have been proud as punch :lol: I bet it was rotten under the bonnet as well.  It would have been a good runner though and quite comfy with a good size boot.  It looks strange seeing the old cross-ply tyres where as now on a family saloon now would be twice as wide!

The car behind is an Austin A40 Farina.

Yes it was a trifle rusty at the wings and sills. I think I got it through one MOT but the next time it went to the scrappy and I got a fiver for it ?

A kind of strange thing that happened in the 90s... I got a Citroen BX diesel at the auctions at Ingliston. C782 YST which had been bought new at Pedigreed Cars in Forres. On one of my trips to Lewis I drew up at the Uig Community Shop which is in the middle of nowhere. The car I parked next to was C783 YST, same model, same dealer.

33 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Yes it was a trifle rusty at the wings and sills. I think I got it through one MOT but the next time it went to the scrappy and I got a fiver for it ?

A kind of strange thing that happened in the 90s... I got a Citroen BX diesel at the auctions at Ingliston. C782 YST which had been bought new at Pedigreed Cars in Forres. On one of my trips to Lewis I drew up at the Uig Community Shop which is in the middle of nowhere. The car I parked next to was C783 YST, same model, same dealer.

They were all rust buckets back then, In 1974 I had an old Corsair which required a lot of welding!  Back in the early 60's my father had an old Commer van AS2967 which he put windows in the side and seats in the back and we thought we had an estate car :wink: and at the same time My Grandfather had a Standard Vanguard NS2967.

• 2 months later...

Good photo and good timing IHE.  That would be the early fifties some older than me might remember the parts & accessories building.  The car emerging from School Lane is a 1952 registered Vauxhall Wyvren and the new building that is being built on that site just now is going to be called "Wyvren House" which will be retail units and flats.  The flatbed lorry is a Bedford RL and the tanker is a Bedford O series. 

• 2 weeks later...

They must have been short of the red ones :lol: that was the days of the Scottish Bus Group.  The van is an Austin or Morris J4 (the badge is missing) at the junction of Mackay Road and Evan Barron Road in the early 70's.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Plus a petrol station to guess as well.

blackpark.jpg

It's a Singer 9 registered in Surrey in 1935 which looks in great nick as the one behind looks like a 1954 Hilman Minx V11.  The filling station is Blackpark.

• Agree 2