IBM Transport

I think the one under the tree is a Vauxhall  Cavalier,  Ford Cortina Mk3, Volvo 240 estate and Fiat 127.

That's the easy bit :smile: I knew it wasn't Culloden House but not sure on it at all.  Thought it was the Loch Torridon Hotel.

Edited by IBM
more info

It’s Allean House near Pitlochry. It’s been the Queens’s View Hotel and now a private house, but I stayed there in 1972 when it was Strathtummel Youth Hostel. 

Edited by TheMantis

12 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

It’s Allean House near Pitlochry. It’s been the Queens’s View Hotel and now a private house, but I stayed there in 1972 when it was Strathtummel Youth Hostel. 

You got me with that one but which car was yours?  I didn't think it was a posh country hotel with that cars outside :lol:

11 hours ago, IBM said:

You got me with that one but which car was yours?  I didn't think it was a posh country hotel with that cars outside :lol:

I was just passing, took that photo from the road sometime later 😂

Can’t remember any cars when I stayed there, we were walking/hitching. I was too young to drive 😜

Edited by TheMantis

22 hours ago, Robert said:

Don’t know where is it taken but that’s a Leyland Titan from the Alexander Northern fleet. 

Robert you know your buses well when you can tell it's a Leyland Titan from the back without seeing a name :ohmy: 

It's at the top of Mackay Road leading on to Oltown Road with Evan Barron Road on the right.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robert said:

In ICT colours an AEC Reliance on the Highland fleet. No idea where though. 

I only knew it was an AEC :furtive:

It's on the old A9 outside the old primary school at Muir of Ord.

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Robert you know your buses well when you can tell it's a Leyland Titan from the back without seeing a name :ohmy: 

It's at the top of Mackay Road leading on to Oltown Road with Evan Barron Road on the right.

I should do. It’s been my working life for 35 years!

Goodness knows why a Northern bus was on a Highland town (at that time) service though!

Edited by Robert

• 3 weeks later...

While heading north on the A9 one morning north of Helmsdale I overtook a slow moving lorry with no markings with a van travelling close behind so I stopped a the Berridale Braes to take a photo.  As it rounded the hairpin bend it had to stop for a car coming down the hill.  When the car was clear driver started to move again and the lorry was loosing traction where the shellgrip was worn away on the road which seemed to cause a panic with the men in following van.  The guys jumped out then running back for their yellow jackets, one rushed up the road to stop any more traffic coming down the hill while the driver got out of the lorry to check out the situation.  After reversing back down the hill a few meters and three attempts the lorry got grip by going right over on the opposite side of the road and made it's way up the hill.  I managed to get a photo of the detail on the back of the trailer which was going to a Colin Macdonald at UKAEA Dounreay and the weight 50 tones.  With the lorry and trailer weight included would be near 80 tones I wonder what was in the trailer!

PICT0262.JPG

PICT0267.JPG

PICT0278.JPG

PICT0286.JPG

The container looks the same style as the ones you used to see 20 or 30 years ago in newspaper articles about trainloads of nuclear waste etc. Maybe fuel rods or whatever if it was going north?

Yes. I imagine that would have been fuel rods and an awful lot of lead lining.  The rods themselves weren't particularly radioactive before they went in to the reactor, but what came out of the reactor was a very different beast.  The materials which went South to Sellafield for re-processing went by sea.

Yes it was going north and there was nothing said to me about taking the photos but there was a lot of panic when the lorry got stuck and there was a lot of work on the brakes to hold it on the hill and the clutch to get it started again.