IBM Transport

7 hours ago, Robert said:

I will show how sad I am, but the Eastern Scottish ones were most likely AECs. Bristol single deck vehicles were primarily operated south of the border, although some did appear for Scotland - London services from the mid 60s. 

You’re right. I googled Eastern Scottish earlier and it was mainly AEC, I’ll maybe put some pics up later.

Edited by TheMantis

On 9/24/2021 at 10:04 PM, TheMantis said:

Who do you think made decent cars back then? I was always a bit of a Rootes fan as my first car was a Hillman Minx and my mate had a Humber.
I remember I had a customer who ran limos which were Fords. I managed to upset him and the son when I repeated my dad’s opinions that Fords were heavy on petrol and hard to start 😂

I had an old Corsair then a 1973 Ford Capri 1600 which was good then bought a Mk3 Cortina 2000GT which went through 3 engines and had 2 new front wings when the outer sills rusted I patched it up and traded it in and it was under 6 years old!  Back then I thought the cars were good but looking back you were always working at them and mostly outside on cold winters nights, ah the good old days :lol:

I had a Chevette, a MK2 Capri before going on to VW and Audi.

You can't do anything to the new ones now not even a dipstick to check the oil but boy they are much better :wink:

• Agree 1

Thanks for posting these.

The top one is Bathgate, not sure about the second one.

I was brought up on MacBrayne Reliances in Fort William although Highland took over when I was still very young.

Highland inherited D-reg Reliances from Eastern when they were only a few years old which I used to get to and from school most days. They were massively overpowered and flying machines. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Robert said:

A clue: Service 22 followed the old A9….

You are on the right road :smile: what about the buses?  

The one facing is an AEC, I think the cream and red might have been a Ford and the double deckers are likely to be Leylands.

The one facing is an AEC Reliance with Alexander body. The other side deck is a Ford with Willowbrook body. I think the double decks are both Albion Lowlanders with Alexander bodies, although some had Northern Counties bodies. They looked quite similar. 

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

The one facing is an AEC Reliance with Alexander body. The other side deck is a Ford with Willowbrook body. I think the double decks are both Albion Lowlanders with Alexander bodies, although some had Northern Counties bodies. They looked quite similar. 

Thanks Robert I am glad I was right with the Ford although I don't remember many Albion badged buses you are more likely to be right as I was more interested in cars and lorries :smile: and before Mantis asks I think the car is a Mk3 Cortina :lol:

All we need now is the location. 

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Came across this near Edinbane this afternoon, parked up ready for its work tomorrow. A Volvo B7 with Wright bodywork painted in the old Highland livery to commemorate 50 years of Highland and successors (Rapsons then Stagecoach) operating on Skye.

Apparently only one experienced driver is allowed to drive it to keep it in pristine condition.

The sun did not help the photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.b5438b4f6c629ff89640b12e93d532b2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, weeman said:

Lots of local bus photo's on here;

https://victoryguy.smugmug.com/Highland-Scttish-Omnibuses/

A lot of good photos and how Inverness has changed over the years.  Wm Low on Bridge Street and the Coop furniture & electrical on the corner of Academy Street and Margaret Street, I worked in both.

A winter project for Robert to name all the buses :lol:

On 3/31/2022 at 4:33 PM, Robert said:

Not got a picture, but there’s a double deck in an older Highland livery (1952?) now running in Inverness. Saw it when heading into Tesco at the Shopping Park today. 

And here it is. Not the best picture given the light, and no prizes for knowing where it was taken!

I’m told it was the initial livery used in 1952 when Highland Omnibuses was formed.

And in case IBM asks, it is an ADL E400.

A932BB77-2C78-4BC8-9A0B-EBCCB724213A.jpeg

Edited by Robert

5 hours ago, Robert said:

And here it is. Not the best picture given the light, and no prizes for knowing where it was taken!

I’m told it was the initial livery used in 1952 when Highland Omnibuses was formed.

And in case IBM asks, it is an ADL E400.

A932BB77-2C78-4BC8-9A0B-EBCCB724213A.jpeg

Just the wrong time of the day Robert sunny one minute and hail the next, the new ones don't have a badge like Albion, Leyland or AEC so I haven't a clue :lol: 

I would think the folks with a bus pass would hop on this one without a glance but younger ones might wonder if it is the right one.  I wonder if there is a special reason for the old colours on this one :ponder:

On 3/31/2022 at 9:49 PM, IBM said:

Here is a nice Volvo 141 that's over 50 years old seen this morning at Simpsons garden centre Inverness.  It has non standard wing mirrors though!

Volvo 141.jpg

Remember when you had to cut a hole in the wing if you wanted to fit an aerial 😱 Sure fire way of starting off the rust...

16 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Remember when you had to cut a hole in the wing if you wanted to fit an aerial 😱 Sure fire way of starting off the rust...

And for fitting wing mirrors they were not standard fit until the late 70's.  You had to remember to put a bit of tape on the wing so the drill would not slip :wink: and of course it was a hand drill, remember them :lol:

The wing mirrors on the Volvo are Ford Corsair mirrors.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Robert said:

Pictured close to the photo I’ve just put on the “Let’s go out of sneck” thread, a very rare bus type in Scotland and a type I’d never seen before:

7C2F6816-F813-403F-AE3A-213E8F93572E.jpeg

A big change from AEC, Albion, Bristol and Leyland.  Buses now from China what next?

• 3 weeks later...