IBM Transport

On 9/25/2021 at 10:36 PM, IBM said:

I had an old Corsair then a 1973 Ford Capri 1600 which was good then bought a Mk3 Cortina 2000GT which went through 3 engines and had 2 new front wings when the outer sills rusted I patched it up and traded it in and it was under 6 years old!  Back then I thought the cars were good but looking back you were always working at them and mostly outside on cold winters nights, ah the good old days :lol:

That reminded me of the Cavalier I had, WKS 164V, bought at 2 years old from an old fella in the Borders, £2200 and he would only take cash. I had it about 10 years. Great car, and I did loads of jobs on it. Replaced the wings and patched up the inner wings with fibreglass. Decided to leave the headlamps off for a day till it was well hardened. Drove to work and was stopped at lights when I saw a polis car turning the corner, so I edged up close to the car in front. Saw them pass me then in my mirror I saw them stamp on the brakes 😂

One annoying thing about these traffic cops is, they would just swarm around your car as if you weren't there, rude bar stewards. Anyway, got off with one of those bits of paper that you had to present to a garage within 7 days.

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Thought you'd probably like this one.crowlista2.jpg

BT had these vans as well as the Post Office the Dodge was an updated version of the Commer PB.  They were terrible to drive heavy steering, clunky four speed gearbox, a very narrow wheelbase and very low to the ground so you had to be careful if you were pulling of the road onto a grass verge.  I had a spare one in 1982 when my Bedford TK was in the garage and decided to try and cross the Kessock Bridge before it opened.  Coming from the Black Isle the road had been tarred and guys were starting to fit the barriers in the middle with no one even looking at the van.  A bit further on the tar changed to bare metal and I noticed they were tarring from the Inverness side :ohmy:  I looked across and the other side had been all surfaced and with no barrier in the center decided to cross over but with a very high kerb I was struggling to get across but made it :smile:  Once over the bridge a guy stopped me and asked what I was doing?  I said I was a planner measuring for the BT cables and drove past him :blush:  So my claim was that I was the first BT engineer to cross the bridge.

• Funny 3

• 1 month later...

The Rotary Club in Harpenden, a neighbouring town, resurrected their "Classics on the Common" fundraiser last week.  An informal classic car show, they had everything from a 1923 Model T Ford to current day Ferraris and Lambos.

I'll be gobsmacked if anyone knows the one below.  I've taken the maker's name off it, and I don't think the badges will help.  Will reveal all in a day or two, but if you are desperate you can always look up the reg no at the DVLA.

276296472_P1020055-Copy.thumb.JPG.59b558ab8e12e92b7393416f32efe4c0.JPG

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
corrected name of event
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

The Rotary Club in Harpenden, a neighbouring town, resurrected their "Cars on the Common" fundraiser last week.  An informal "classic car" show, they had everything from a 1923 Model T Ford to current day Ferraris and Lambos.

I'll be gobsmacked if anyone knows the one below.  I've taken the maker's name off it, and I don't think the badges will help.  Will reveal all in a day or two, but if you are desperate you can always look up the reg no at the DVLA.

276296472_P1020055-Copy.thumb.JPG.59b558ab8e12e92b7393416f32efe4c0.JPG

Looks Italian Alfa or Lancia type will have a proper look on the PC later 

The words "Fiat Abarth" come to mind from my I-Spy book of cars but if IBM doesn't know there's no hope for me 😂

Edit - ah yes, used the reg, I remember that one being in the I-Spy book too 😎

Edited by TheMantis

27 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

The words "Fiat Abarth" come to mind from my I-Spy book of cars but if IBM doesn't know there's no hope for me 😂

Edit - ah yes, used the reg, I remember that one being in the I-Spy book too 😎

Having a proper look on the PC it's nothing like a classic Italian car :ohmy: looks more like a Lada or a Skoda which it is not either and I never had the I-Spy book of cars like Mantis so I have no idea:sad:

I had a look on the DVLA and reading up on Wikipedia and all I can say is it would take a long time to drive from Harpenden to Inverness in that car:lol:

I was beat on that one!

Lovely car.  This, too, was known as a "boattail" - it's a 1972 Buick Riviera.   By coincidence, I discovered the other day that the founder of Buick was born in Arbroath, with his family moving to Detroit when he was two - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dunbar_Buick

And no prizes for guessing the car that is off the right hand side of the first picture 😉

P1020078.thumb.JPG.e3d18727c817a08c4210049bc66f1ef4.JPG

P1020051.thumb.JPG.a86dce1ef4ab2347c683a9846bfec79f.JPG

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

37 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Lovely car.  This, too, was known as a "boattail" - it's a 1972 Buick Riviera.   By coincidence, I discovered the other day that the founder of Buick was born in Arbroath, with his family moving to Detroit when he was two - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dunbar_Buick

And no prizes for guessing the car that is off the right hand side of the first picture 😉

P1020078.thumb.JPG.e3d18727c817a08c4210049bc66f1ef4.JPG

P1020051.thumb.JPG.a86dce1ef4ab2347c683a9846bfec79f.JPG

That door is easy but is it a Mk1 or Mk2 😜 I know the answer but will see if Mantis can find it in his I-Spy book!

• Funny 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, snorbens_caleyman said:

There was one of these at the show - a white one.  The one below was my wife's company car in 1990, in the boom years after Big Bang (financial deregulation) in the City.

1132502166_536edit.thumb.jpg.b050cfc0441b7daa15abd552207216e2.jpg

That was, of course, a Renault 5 GT Turbo.  This one appears to have been a special edition called a "Raider", though I don't remember that.

My wife was on the right side of 35 at the time - as was I 😥 - and grew wearily used to boy racers catching up, having a look, seeing "a bird!", and cranking up their souped-up Novas and Fiestas to show her what they could do  :lol:

I was never keen on it - never felt totally safe.  Tiny wheels, little suspension, low down - I always felt I was sitting on an uncontrollable rocket-powered rollerskate.  Turbo lag was significant - you put your foot down and then had time for a shave or a look through the newspaper, before you were suddenly kicked in the back.

A magnet for criminals in the station car park, too.  Someone tried to nick the stereo, but couldn't get it out and also probably realised that it was custom built for this car and would be useless elsewhere, so they left all the parts very neatly on the passenger seat.  Another time we were driving to the station in the morning when suddenly there was a hideous metallic clattering from under the back of the car.  The spare wheel was on a cradle under the back, which you lowered from inside the boot.  Someone had cut through the cradle from the outside, nicked the spare, and then tied the cradle back up, until their knots came apart this morning and the cradle fell down to be dragged along the road.

Had the usual Renault electrical problems, an over-sensitive alarm, and I remember the clutch cable failing too.  Good fun, if someone else was picking up the bills!

• Like 1

A couple of Morgans that were touring round northern Spain a few years back. Two English middle aged couples, can’t say I envied them much, but they’d been all round Europe over the years, Poland etc…

I think that’s probably my hire car with the silver paint.

53C8FB3D-25AD-41EA-B7C4-D5FD67C4B4D1.jpeg

45E0B69B-7D6D-4915-8BE1-F86DB3F66557.jpeg

6AFC3886-65DE-4ED2-841D-93BCCC1BF750.jpeg

Edited by TheMantis

Can't check that one on the DVLA website :lol: but it's an Alvis TD or TE from the late 50's or early 60's slightly different for export.  A beautiful car but you had to be well of to own one of them.

24 minutes ago, IBM said:

Can't check that one on the DVLA website :lol: but it's an Alvis TD or TE from the late 50's or early 60's slightly different for export.  A beautiful car but you had to be well of to own one of them.

Google is your friend.  See https://alvisarchive.files.wordpress.com/2021/09/td21-register-170921-.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_TD_21  

Series II Alvis TDI Coupé, chassis number 26777, despatched (presumably just the chassis) 29 Dec 1961, body built by Swiss coachbuilder Graber, body number 757.

14 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Google is your friend.  See https://alvisarchive.files.wordpress.com/2021/09/td21-register-170921-.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_TD_21  

Series II Alvis TDI Coupé, chassis number 26777, despatched (presumably just the chassis) 29 Dec 1961, body built by Swiss coachbuilder Graber, body number 757.

Thanks snorbens I was nearly right didn't know there were different body builders although that was common practice with lorries and buses.  The TD is not an early diesel it had a beautiful sounding 3 litre straight six engine.