IBM Transport

13 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

There were a few Mustangs of various vintages at the Harpenden show.  They are not uncommon down here, so I don't have any photographs of them.

So here's another four-legged beastie - a 1959 Jaguar XK150.  I wonder which is worth more - the car or the number plate.

P1020085.thumb.JPG.b31478cde12a09f02957f1a05ca8ba91.JPG

Another cracker and it would be a lot of money for both.

14 hours ago, IBM said:

This one is owned by a local from Inverness who's father is a secondhand car dealer and grandfather was a scrap metal merchant!

I presume everyone in Sneck knows who that is?  Sadly, I am long out of touch.

The Harpenden show had stands from some of the local luxury car dealers, including Bentley.  They had a white convertible, and were letting kids sit in it and have their photographs taken.  You realise when you are close to one how big they are.   I quite fancied it but my wife didn't, so we won't be getting one  :lol:

19 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

You  realise when you are close to one how big they are.   I quite fancied it but my wife didn't, so we won't be getting one  :lol:

A child or a Bentley?

Edited by weeman
Misquote
  • Funny 3

On 8/6/2022 at 11:44 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

I presume everyone in Sneck knows who that is?  Sadly, I am long out of touch.

The owner of the Bentley is Gavin MacDonald who has a flooring company in Inverness.  His father John (Jojo) is the second hand car dealer and Jojo's father was John (Jock) Macdonald who lived in Cameron Square and had a scrapyard in Lotland Street.

About 1970 Jock bought 2 old oil tanks on the shores of Loch Ewe on the Inverasdale road for scrap but to protect them they were surrounded by brick.  My father who worked for Willaim Tawse had experience with explosives while doing road building with the Forestry Commision got the job cash in hand to blow away the brick.  During the week the jelly and fuse wire were delivered to our next door neighbours shed in Benula Road as he was helping out.  Jock provided a Blue Austin Cambridge full of fuel for the job and on Saturday morning the stuff was loaded in the boot and away we went along with the neighbour and his two sons.   While my father was setting the explosives we were sent round the local houses to say there would be a loud noise but it was nothing to worry about!  After the big bang the bricks crumbled in the dust exposing the steel tanks ready for cutting with the blowtorch, job done without health and safety :wink:

• Thank You 1

You always had a good look under the bonnet when you were buying a car but now the re is no point it's all plastic covers.  There is not even a dipstick for checking the oil and there is a warning for everything even when your screenwash is getting low!

John Player and Sons (aka Player's) were the first commercial sponsors in F1, with Gold Leaf Team Lotus.  You'll probably also remember the black "John Player Special" cars from the early 70s.

I would have been about 11 or 12 at the time of Gold Leaf Team Lotus, and I wasn't a smoker then or now  :lol:

22 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

John Player and Sons (aka Player's) were the first commercial sponsors in F1, with Gold Leaf Team Lotus.  You'll probably also remember the black "John Player Special" cars from the early 70s.

I would have been about 11 or 12 at the time of Gold Leaf Team Lotus, and I wasn't a smoker then or now  :lol:

I do remember the black JPS ones.

Did anyone have one of these?  A good car in their day and this one is over 40 years old :ohmy:

439700746_1980VolkswagenGolfGLS.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 10:04 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

A Mk1 VW Golf.  Nope, never had a Golf.

I did once work with someone who had a heavily customised VW Caddy pickup.  Until I met him I never knew that such things existed  :amazed:

When I went to the Faroe Islands my rental car was changed to a VW Caddy. I hadn't kept the email and i assumed there was a rental desk at the airport. But there wasn't and I had no idea where to pick it up or what it looked like. The nice wee lassie at the tourist desk was able to sort it though and the keys were on the sun visor...

My son has this 1988 BMW 3.5 litre which is a sort of hobby car as he seems to spend all his time working on it. He never seemed interested in cars till a few years ago. It only cost him £1750 though he makes up for that in parts etc.

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, TheMantis said:

When I went to the Faroe Islands my rental car was changed to a VW Caddy. I hadn't kept the email and i assumed there was a rental desk at the airport. But there wasn't and I had no idea where to pick it up or what it looked like. The nice wee lassie at the tourist desk was able to sort it though and the keys were on the sun visor...

That sounds like the old days in the Western Isles!  About 30 years ago we stayed in Port Ellen Islay where the owners had converted the old school to holiday homes and he ran a new Toyota Landcruser for towing his boat and his wife a new Sierra Cosworth and the keys were in the ignition all the time even down the main street :ohmy:  Although if you stole it you would not get far.

7 hours ago, TheMantis said:

My son has this 1988 BMW 3.5 litre which is a sort of hobby car as he seems to spend all his time working on it. He never seemed interested in cars till a few years ago. It only cost him £1750 though he makes up for that in parts etc.

image.jpeg

It's in good nick for 34 years old!  I am not sure what the white one in the corner is looks a bit like a Ford Taunis or Mustang, it's not Brittish.  The shell is a Ford Cortina MK2 and the easy ones are a Mini and Ford Anglia.

19 minutes ago, IBM said:

It's in good nick for 34 years old!  I am not sure what the white one in the corner is looks a bit like a Ford Taunis or Mustang, it's not Brittish.  The shell is a Ford Cortina MK2 and the easy ones are a Mini and Ford Anglia.

Just a bit of rust around the sills which I think he fixed, he’s had it a couple of years. The photo was taken in the yard where this guy sells classic cars. He’d probably remember the white car if I asked, it’s only a couple of miles away 😉

I might post a photo of my son’s other car (once Mrs Mantis gets off the computer), although he’s now selling it as it broke down in Lewis the other week and he had to leave it there. I took him up to Sneck on Monday and he went on to Ullapool on the bus and picked it up. It’s a 5litre Mercedes, 2004.

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Merc - E500 estate

image.jpeg

Looks good for a 17-18 year old car and it will be very comfy as well good for a long run although when they start to break down it's not so good.  In our day you would be lucky to have a car still on the road as good as that!

• 2 weeks later...