IBM Transport

4 hours ago, Robert said:

I preferred the old ones: more character and some real engine noises!!

It was the same with cars and with a lot of them you could tell what car it was by the noise of the engine.  They all sound the same now and as for the electric you can't even hear them :ohmy:

With lorries and buses it was more difficult as many used the same engines but the one you could easy hear was the Commer QX TS3 (known as the knocker) when my Dad drove one in the early 60's you would hear him coming home about a mile away! 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:06 PM, IBM said:

That's much better than some of the old buses that Lochs used to run :lol:

Not Lochs but Galson (who just seem to have minibuses now) and this did not end its days as a bus, but this one would have made authentic noises (a 1974 Leyland Leopard with Alexander bodywork, new to Western SMT):

68F08ACA-F74F-4D19-BE8C-EB257E90CB05.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Meanwhile, a reminder of bygone days with produce waiting for the driver to return to load it on at Tarbert:

9FA5FFEB-F3D2-48C3-8FFF-14272D8BCECF.jpeg

That's the good thing about the islands, good honest folk that will leave things where they are not like some places on the mainland :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Robert said:

It’s seen better days! Not sure if its a Commer or an Austin, quite possibly neither.

Where did you come across it?

I don't think it's a Commer or Austin with the grill that it has but am no expert in the bus world.  It could have any running gear and built with a different body.  I would guess it is somewhere on Lewis :wink:

11 hours ago, IBM said:

I don't think it's a Commer or Austin with the grill that it has but am no expert in the bus world.  It could have any running gear and built with a different body.  I would guess it is somewhere on Lewis :wink:

Back in the day, people would tow their old vehicles out to where their peat banks were, so they had somewhere to shelter in a shower. I probably took this about 1980 and it’s not there anymore.

19 hours ago, IBM said:

I had a suggestion it was a Trojan. Somebody on the Stornoway page.

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, IBM said:

You have posted this one before Mantis, I remember the registration number :wink:

IBM Transport - Page 26 - Olde Inverness - CaleyThistleOnline

Your task next week is to find another one in Lewis :smile:

So I did. Auld age doesnae come itsel’. I’ll have a good look. Not much wrong with your memory anyway 😉

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, TheMantis said:

7562.jpg

7563.jpg

The Landrover 101 known as the forward control which were well used in the army. Big 3.5 litre engine with lots of power but were a bit top heavy and rolled quite a bit (like a ferry in the Minch) 🤣🤣