IBM Transport

D&E have this new Mercedes coach for the Citylink service to Ullapool.

It started on that route on Monday after a day out in Glasgow last Saturday carrying the youth teams. 

F2A5709E-A35E-4B1D-9EF1-863166A45C14.jpeg

I overtook it on the way home and was trying to think why D&E had a Citylink coach not knowing they had a contract.  That is good news for a local firm good luck to them.

I hope you were not taking photos of all the buses :lol:

No, just that one as it was its first day in use. I was tipped off.

They’ve had that contract for a number of years and it is replacing an older coach as I understand it. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Robert said:

That’s going back a few years!!

Yes it is good to see and it is going back a few years I was young then :lol:  I don't know who has it now though.

Ugly Caddy - hope it's not yours!    Never seen those cat's whiskers before, and I find that they are known as "curb feelers".   Learn something new every day.

And I presume that Glashan Court is named after William Glashan, the architect, who recorded many of the old buildings of Inverness before they were lost forever?

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
spilling

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Ugly Caddy - hope it's not yours!    Never seen those cat's whiskers before, and I find that they are known as "curb feelers".   Learn something new every day.

And I presume that Glashan Court is named after William Glashan, the architect, who recorded many of the old buildings of Inverness before they were lost forever?

No it’s not mine never seen one before a Coupe Deville. You could have a hot tub in the boot 🤣

I never even knew about Galashan Court just thought it was still Church Street when they built the new flats. Glad you pointed it out 😃

• 4 weeks later...

Not the best photo as I didn’t want to get knocked down, but the coaches that operated the extra Citylink and Megabus journeys to Glasgow for the cup final loading up after the match (with apologies for someone wearing a Celtic top being in the image!):

2F471965-6E8E-4D20-828D-0BBCB8E2D97A.jpeg

Edited by Robert

• 1 month later...

Annual "Cars on the Common" day just up the road from me in Harpenden.  Full marks to the local Rotary Club for picking the only decent day in July!

Here is one of the first cars that I saw - with an Inverness registration.  Not that this will help you, but I used to own one of its direct descendants.

P1030011 sml.JPG

14 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Annual "Cars on the Common" day just up the road from me in Harpenden.  Full marks to the local Rotary Club for picking the only decent day in July!

Here is one of the first cars that I saw - with an Inverness registration.  Not that this will help you, but I used to own one of its direct descendants.

P1030011 sml.JPG

A fine looking Lancia Beta. I don’t recall seeing that one about Inverness although I remember two Lancia Fulvia cars about that time Gordon Thompson had a green one and crashed into the river and Roddy Matheson had a red one and crashed it out the Nairn road and lost his leg in the accident. 

Losing your touch!  That's a 1973 Mazda RX-3 - scroll down at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Grand_Familia  -  though admittedly there weren't many sold in Europe.  Most were in Japan, USA, Auz and NZ.

"RX" meant that it had a rotary engine.  The original engine in this one has been replaced with the engine and gearbox from a 1975 RX-7.

The last production car to have a rotary engine?  The RX-8.  I had one for 5 years.

IMG_1381 edit sml.jpg

Losing your touch!  That's a 1973 Mazda RX-3 - scroll down at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Grand_Familia  -  though admittedly there weren't many sold in Europe.  Most were in Japan, USA, Auz and NZ.

"RX" meant that it had a rotary engine.  The original engine in this one has been replaced with the engine and gearbox from a 1975 RX-7.

The last production car to have a rotary engine?  The RX-8.  I had one for 5 years.

IMG_1381 edit sml.jpg

My excuse is I was using my phone 🤣 I looked at the shape of the badge but they do look similar. 

This one is probably more recognisable, though there is of course a twist!

P1030012 sml.JPG

That’s a Vauxhall Wyvren convertible which I didn’t know they made. 
Now you better tell me the twist!

3 hours ago, IBM said:

That’s a Vauxhall Wyvren convertible which I didn’t know they made. 
Now you better tell me the twist!

It's actually a 1950 Vauxhall Velox.  No points off for saying Wyvern.

The twist is that this open-topped model - the Caleche - was only produced in Australia. Vauxhall shipped the chassis out, and the coachwork was built by the the Australian company Holden.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

It's actually a 1950 Vauxhall Velox.  No points off for saying Wyvern.

The twist is that this open-topped model - the Caleche - was only produced in Australia. Vauxhall shipped the chassis out, and the coachwork was built by the the Australian company Holden.

You are being very harsh as the Velox an Wyvern shared the same chassis and body similar to the Ford Zephyr and Zodiac. I hope you will give me a bit of slack 😜

Here is my 1973 YST 344M which was registered in November. I bought it in a private sale from Roddy Wood who worked in Burnetts for £1100 in 1975. It was a 1600xl and Cordiners had a similar 1600l on sale for £1395 so I got a good deal. It was a good car apart from having to replace the calmshaft which was a common problem.

I was chuffed when I got it thinking I had the best car in town but there was a guy Raymond who had one the same colour but it was a 3000gxl. 

Lesson learnt there is always someone with a better car than you!

File1344.jpeg

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Look again!  I said "No points off..."  :wink:

And of course, you, Bodie and Doyle weren't the first to have a Capri...

P1030030 sml.JPG

I thought you had taken points off 🤣

As a young boy I loved that Capri which was better looking than the Classic but most were scrapped by the time I started driving. 
That’s not standard wheels although they suit the car. I think it was plain steel wheels with a centre plain hubcap that they had.