IBM Transport

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:06 AM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Tahat show would have been downt the Longman where the stadium is today

If so then I think it would be nearer mid  fifties as I am pretty certain the Highland show moved from the Bught park to the Longman around that time.

The price however confuses me !

10 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Beauly cars.jpg

Ford Popular on left, Ford Pilot in middle & Jaguar Mk9 (I think) must be late 50's as I don't remember the Esso Pumps.

9 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

If so then I think it would be nearer mid  fifties as I am pretty certain the Highland show moved from the Bught park to the Longman around that time.

The price however confuses me !

The Shooting brake was well priced. 

1947 Austin Sixteen Countryman Shooting Brake, and thought it was worth sharing on my blog.  Its sales were still directed at the landed gentry, describing the Countryman as: “Something to haul the guests around the country estate, when they came for a tad of shooting!” The brochure proudly states: “ The Austin Sixteen Countryman is the ideal vehicle for farm and estate transport.

Priced at £565 (English Pounds), it was an expensive option in post-war Britain. The Purchase Tax added another 160 Pounds to the final price, making it affordable only to the wealthy.

At today's prices it would be people like CB that would be able to afford it :wink:

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, IBM said:

The Shooting brake was well priced. 

1947 Austin Sixteen Countryman Shooting Brake, and thought it was worth sharing on my blog.  Its sales were still directed at the landed gentry, describing the Countryman as: “Something to haul the guests around the country estate, when they came for a tad of shooting!” The brochure proudly states: “ The Austin Sixteen Countryman is the ideal vehicle for farm and estate transport.

Priced at £565 (English Pounds), it was an expensive option in post-war Britain. The Purchase Tax added another 160 Pounds to the final price, making it affordable only to the wealthy.

At today's prices it would be people like CB that would be able to afford it :wink:

I bow to your superior knowledge IBM so maybe that event was held at the Bught

Your footnote     :lol:       agreed.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

image.jpg

Looks like the Britannia heading down the Ferry! A bit of Googling suggests that this will be the Queen visiting Inverness in June 1964. I certainly remember getting paraded down from Dalneigh School to the Bught to indulge in an episode of involuntary sycophancy.

You are right Charles it is the Britannia and it is the early 60's but it's not heading down the ferry :lol: it's Aberdeen Harbour from Greyhope Road on the south side of the Dee.  Now the cars for IHE, front row from the left Vauxhall Cresta and Victor, Ford Cortina Mk1 and Anglia, Triumph Herald, Austin Cambridge (A60), Hillman Minx, Triumph Herald and Herald estate.  Middle row Austin A35, Austin A55, VW Beetle, Rover 90, Bedford Dormobile, Wolseley 4/50, Vauxhall Victor, Austin Cambridge, Austin A40 Somerset, Vauxhall Cresta and Ford Anglia.  I cant make out the others at the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Macgregor's garage after he moved from the Haugh (soon to be Macgregor's Bar).............Mercedes, Volvo P1800, Rover 75, MGB, another Merc behind the E type Jag.  The Volkswagen garage behind which is now the Ironworks, I can't remember if it was Hawco before they moved to the longman.

You are getting better Charles I have not been along Ardconnel Terrace for years but remember the old garages, in front of the mini's is a Ford Anglia van and on the left is a Vauxhall Victor and Triumph 1300 I think as the photo is not very clear.

• 2 weeks later...