Replacement Striker?

us2

You would think we were bottom of the league the way a lot of folk on here are speaking. That or we were Billy Mckay FC. He's at Wigan now deal with it. We have goals in the team and we are 3rd because the team got us there not one guy. He doesn't need replaced we need to play to the strengths of the players we have. As for saying the club is actively trying to stop us getting into Europe that is a total joke. And our younger players are in a Development League if I'm not mistaken where individual development is more important than the standings in the league. But aye our club is doomed because we never signed a random below average guy that is deemed to be a striker in a small transfer window just to appease all the Football Manager fans we appear to have.

• Agree 7

Not sure if it was this thread or the one specifically on Billy Mckay but I recall one poster stating that his goals weren't that important anyway.

If we took away Mckay's goals this season we would be 11 points worse off compared to where we are now. He's played a major role in getting us where we are now and I think a lack of a replacement of giving fans justifiable cause for concern.

• Agree 3

People said last year that we would struggle without the leadership and drive of Foran when he got injured, however we seem to be doing ok. Football is a team game and as a club we have a squad, it not and never has been a one man team, Billy was an important player but he is gone and with the performances and results this season there are probably at least 11 other squad members on here cited as being great this year so I'm sure as a club we will cope. As posted earlier we were still scoring and winning when Billy went on a barren run after scoring in the opening wknd, so why without him can we not still do this?

• Agree 2

It's not as straight forward to say that we did fine without his goals earlier this season so it doesn't matter he's away now. His game wasn't just scoring goals. He was still playing in those games where he wasn't scoring and contributing massively to the team. We won't just miss his goals. We'll miss his hold up play, his tireless running, his ability to link well with team mates. Yes other players can perhaps cover but can they do it effectively? Will the team be overly stretched as a result?

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 7

Spot on RIG but let's say that Marley Watkins gets a knock on Saturday and is out for 2-3 games ? What would have happened if we didn't have Ryan to come in for Deano ? Do we not have "cover" for most other places on the park ? Call me old fashioned but the position at other ends of the park are essential. Every team needs a steady and reliable goalkeeper and a goal scorer. I also felt that last season one of the reasons that we fell away is that we were relying too much on Billy and he got washed up.

Anyway I will hold back until the end of February becos we really need to stay in the Cup and there really are NINE possible points up fer grabs. This could be another unbeaten month. And that would give us time to find some kind of cover and would leave us sitting relatively pretty - especially in the League and hopefully through to the QF 's, a favourable draw and the third semi on the trot.

It's a funny old game.

• Agree 1

Not sure if it was this thread or the one specifically on Billy Mckay but I recall one poster stating that his goals weren't that important anyway.

If we took away Mckay's goals this season we would be 11 points worse off compared to where we are now. He's played a major role in getting us where we are now and I think a lack of a replacement of giving fans justifiable cause for concern.

You can't know that...because if Mckay hadn't been playing then someone else would have and we have no way of knowing what they would have contributed directly in terms of goals.

• Agree 1

It's not meant to be a cut and dry "this is where we would be without Mckay". Of course we have no way of knowing exactly how things would have panned out. It's merely a hypothetical scenario and should only be taken at face value.

It's not meant to be a cut and dry "this is where we would be without Mckay". Of course we have no way of knowing exactly how things would have panned out. It's merely a hypothetical scenario and should only be taken at face value.

If that is how you meant it, perhaps it would have been better to say " we could have been 11 points worse off" rather than "we would have been 11 points worse off"

What does it matter how it's said precisely. We're all old enough and ugly enough to know that on this forum especially that anyone is stating a fact and saying that's the be all and end all.

I understand where folk are coming from saying whether Mckays goals were or were not important. Had he been playing and not scored those goals he did, then yes we would be 11 points worse off, I think that's the point some were trying to make. Pretend he played all those minutes and just couldn't find the net, no replacements, nothing he was just plain, straight up garbage then aye, that's where we would be at.

I don't think at any point, that anyone has hinted that we would get by without Mckays performances entirely. Just his personal goals. 

All I'm saying is that both players were with is at some point and both left for nothing. It's frustrating to see united take in 2 million for them when potentially they could have been ours regardless of situation.

Getting 150k is reasonable for the amount left on his contact and I understand that's all he's valued at now. But that's where we go wrong, Hamilton and united etc sell when players value is high and take in replacements. We tend to let contracts run down and let players leave for nothing or for nowhere near their true value due to the duration left on their contract. Again frustrating.

Our next investment must have to be this:

post-4927-0-95008900-1423138565_thumb.jp

As our man-up-front, it would be daft to say his goals were not important - of course they were.  That, after all, was his job and he was expected to deliver on a regular basis.

However, what I think the poster may have meant was that they were not essential in that we had others getting in on the act and were / are also able to score, so easing the pressure a little on Billy when he was out of form, which is inevitable for every player.  Once he was back onto scoring ways though, these goals were as necessary as every other one that gets banged in.

Having said all that, I am also concerned that we do not have a known striker who is the obvious point man for our attack.

Watching with interest to see how Yogi juggles the team to compensate for the loss of Billy.

We lost our only striker, we may have to get by for now, we may find a gem in the team who fits in well up front, we may have to wait to see who can be brought in.

That's about it really.

In the mean time Come on the Caley.

Together we believe.

• Agree 1

We lost our only striker, we may have to get by for now, we may find a gem in the team who fits in well up front, we may have to wait to see who can be brought in.

That's about it really.

In the mean time Come on the Caley.

Together we believe.

Or even...Come on the Jags !

• Agree 3

You would think we were bottom of the league the way a lot of folk on here are speaking. That or we were Billy Mckay FC. He's at Wigan now deal with it. We have goals in the team and we are 3rd because the team got us there not one guy. He doesn't need replaced we need to play to the strengths of the players we have. As for saying the club is actively trying to stop us getting into Europe that is a total joke. And our younger players are in a Development League if I'm not mistaken where individual development is more important than the standings in the league. But aye our club is doomed because we never signed a random below average guy that is deemed to be a striker in a small transfer window just to appease all the Football Manager fans we appear to have.

I would just like to see ICT get into Europe within my lifetime and without doubt this season is the best chance we will ever have with our league position and Hearts, Hibs and Rangers out the league.  If the board were also really pushing for this dream they would never have let Billy go without having a replacement lined up - they're inactivity is as good as saying that it is too much of a financial risk .. Butcher as good as said it for them last time we missed out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22589505

I definitely didn't say we were doomed but would prefer to aim for something other than mid table obscurity even if it meant we streched the balance books for one season.  The way I see it the club don't want to take that risk or they would have got someone in... the only reason they would need to sign a below average striker is if the scouts weren't doing their jobs and they can't say it was a surprise that McKay would leave.. it's been on the cars for the last 2 season ffs!

If Yogi doesn't manage to get someone in on a free then we will be relying on Ross, Watkins and Foran for the rest of the season - all of them can do a job but even the happy clappers have to admit that this was a shitey January for the club.

If you look at just two recent examples, I doubt we would have got more than a draw out of the St Mirren and Kilmarnock games without Billy. His goals in those games were exceptional, and if anyone (like Malky MacKay) had seen those goals I have no doubt they would have said sign up immediately. I was expecting him to go, it is just a great pity that it couldn't wait until summer, since he was really hitting a scoring streak, and we have our best chance to finish top four. So i think it is likely that some games will end in draws, not wins, without his ability. He's been such a stalwart for us, I will miss him and his great attitude and application.

• Agree 1

If that is how you meant it, perhaps it would have been better to say " we could have been 11 points worse off" rather than "we would have been 11 points worse off"

Hmm. If pedantry is the point, I think RiG originally describes the simple of subtraction of points based on the simple removal of McKay's goals. So his sentence was pretty accurate in itself, and more to the point the gist of what he was getting at was also pretty apparent.

But I love pedantry, and think everything everyone posts should be qualified so exhaustively there can be no misundersandings and each thread is over immediately.

Anyway. Really looking forward to Saturday's game. Could use some football after this week's worry and speculation.

[quote name="Morgan Spice" post="426015"

If Yogi doesn't manage to get someone in on a free then we will be relying on Ross, Watkins and Foran for the rest of the season - all of them can do a job but even the happy clappers have to admit that this was a shitey January for the club.

I'm afraid Januarys will always be shitey if we're doing well! Were a small "selling" club, so will lose good players to wealthier teams. We might be p!ssed off with our lot, but Hamilton have done even worse. Not many fans of Scot Prem teams are very happy - Celtic and Aberdeen were the only winners.

• Agree 1

I'm afraid Januarys will always be shitey if we're doing well! Were a small "selling" club, so will lose good players to wealthier teams. We might be p!ssed off with our lot, but Hamilton have done even worse. Not many fans of Scot Prem teams are very happy - Celtic and Aberdeen were the only winners.

Hamilton, however, have a million pounds in the bank to ease the pain...more once the development fee for Stephen Hendrie is added.

• Agree 1

If Yogi doesn't manage to get someone in on a free then we will be relying on Ross, Watkins and Foran for the rest of the season - all of them can do a job but even the happy clappers have to admit that this was a shitey January for the club.

Hamilton's bank balance will be a winner and also in my opinion Dundee United have made a good signing in Robbie Muirhead also bringing back Paul Dixon could be a good thing for them.

I agree it's been a terrible window for long term thinking but short term we will cope. I trust the club will be doing their due diligence on finding a replacement with good potential value for long term thinking instead of adding a random punter on the free agent market.

Read on P and J phone app that Hughes is still looking at one or 2 players coming in. It was from 6hrs ago so not sure if it was in today's paper or to be in tomorrows?

Still, we will have to do with another makeshift forward for weekend trip to Partick but tbh, I am not worried, we just have to put up with what we have and trust John to keep our push for Europe going :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

Edited by Shaun