Replacement Striker?

us2

Think heffernan would do well, our build up play is decent, it's having someone to target in the box and someone who'll make that late run that we miss...and he can finish a chance! 

Whats been missing for him the last 2 years has been good chances being created for him to take...he'll get that service here. 

But Riordan is a big gamble, free or not! But then again if Hughes trusts him and can get decent performances out of him then I'd taken him cause I'd rather have him than no striker! 

I don't think Deek has it any more. And he's widely regarded as a bit of a twonk down in the Burgh (barred from nearly every club in the city) 

There's surely better options out there. No kids on loan available? Wyness still playing? 

He was on trial at Brechin a couple of weeks ago and didn't make an impression - and they're almost as desperate for a striker as we are. 

Brechin manager Darren Dods on Riordan appearing for them in a bounce game v Falkirk at Stirling Uni:

“Derek came in as we were a bit short of players and he lives quite close to Stirling. He was doing us a favour and we were doing him a favour in terms of giving him 90 minutes. He wants to play abroad or secure a full-time team here so we have not pursued his signature."

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

Billy McKay not even getting a game for Wigan against bury and has had no.10 taken off him for another striker...surely he'd rather a loan move back to us with some game time more than available instead of sitting on the bench for the next 12 months 

Billy McKay not even getting a game for Wigan against bury and has had no.10 taken off him for another striker...surely he'd rather a loan move back to us with some game time more than available instead of sitting on the bench for the next 12 months 

We don't have the funds for Mckay.

Also, Marley Watkins was on the bench for Barnsley at the weekend in a 3-1 defeat. Both him and Mckay have ruined any chance that might've had of playing at the Euros next year by chasing the money.

We don't have the funds for Mckay.

no but if football had any impact on players decisions then game time would be more important to him! A loan move would surely suit him and Wigan for more game time 

Also, Marley Watkins was on the bench for Barnsley at the weekend in a 3-1 defeat. Both him and Mckay have ruined any chance that might've had of playing at the Euros next year by chasing the money.

Watkins is playing tonight 

Noticed this in Yogi's post match BBC Comments.  Clearly another striker to come in if possible.

"We're still trying to add to the top-end, that's for sure," he said. "It's not rocket science - we're needing a physical presence, or a real quick runner that wants to chase lost causes so we can stretch the game a little bit."

Edited by Hiro
  • Agree 1

Noticed this in Yogi's post match BBC Comments.  Clearly another striker to come in if possible.

"We're still trying to add to the top-end, that's for sure," he said. "It's not rocket science - we're needing a physical presence, or a real quick runner that wants to chase lost causes so we can stretch the game a little bit."

.....So, we haven't signed a target man, but we do have a boy with pace on the bench in sutherlansd, so why not bring him on. It seems JH does recognise the problem, but refuses to respond to it.

So what he is in effect saying is that Lopez does not have a physical presence, isn't a quick runner and doesn't want to chase lost causes.  It therefore rather begs the question of why he signed him.

Possibly out of desperation given time was running out for the game against Astra. 

Kris Doolan from Partick Thistle would be a decent signing for us . I think his contract runs out soon and he might not be first choice for Thistle when Pogba is fit. He did well when he came on last night and certainly provides the tenacity up front which we lack.

I know it's a division below but Hibs have Cummings, Keatings and Malonga on their books and Farid El Alagui is still there too. Would it be worth trying to get him on loan maybe? Very capable player. 

I'm not sure why JJ Hooper wasn't considered for a contract. Young player who scored in each of his pre season trial games.. What we need up front is somebody who knows where the back of the net is. By all accounts he wasn't technically gifted but Billy Mckay was FAR from the finished article when he joined, took well over a year for him to find his feet in the premier league

I'm not sure why JJ Hooper wasn't considered for a contract. Young player who scored in each of his pre season trial games.. What we need up front is somebody who knows where the back of the net is. By all accounts he wasn't technically gifted but Billy Mckay was FAR from the finished article when he joined, took well over a year for him to find his feet in the premier league

He may have scored but he wasn't good from what I saw.. He is however now playing in the same division as Marley and Billy so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on there. Also it was mentioned but somebody that he was actually offered a contract but when his agent found out he'd be playing in Europe he asked for a ridiculous offer so we withdrew from negotiations.

• Agree 1

We have Toby Ajala on trail as yogi tries to add to our strike force , a winger with 5 goals in 45 appearances for Torquay 

If he is not an out and out striker and has a fairly poor goal scoring record we will almost certainly offer him a contract......

• Agree 2

For those getting on the back of Dani Lopez plus Yogi (as early as August)...................... ......................4 Dec 2011 'Going nuts at McKay on his first start over nothing in particular was unnecessary. McKay seems to have something and came into it a lot more as the game went on, but I feel that, as he is more of a Dargo type striker, could do with someone up there with him - he ain't the type to play the lone frontman role.' A short time later he scored and became a hero. He later became a lone frontman and then went onto play for his country.

• Agree 2

Quite right CC 1 - 3..I was one who started getting peed off with Mac small c just before he started coming good,( For the benefit of those who generally jump down my throat ) I am not saying  that Mr Lopez will become the same type of player as Mackay But he is already showing that he can find space and with fast wing play to feed him  he coiuld start getting shots away and finding the net.

I really cannot understand why so many posters are so ready to blame Yogi for any mishaps on and off the field, touting names that he should be looking at etc etc. surely they should understand that he knows what he is looking for and has his reasons for his decisions. It would ;have been great to have kept all the players we ;had but this is football life and it a'int easy on our budget. John is building our team to a shape that he wants and knows can be successful.We will see a difference as the league progresses, it is early days league wise.

An example is the current criticism of Tansey and good explanation has been given of that in another post. John builds teams he doesn't collect individual stars and primadonnas.When our team starts to gel then the naysayers will be happy again, probably only 'till the next glitch arises, but some might just start believing again and maybe one day togetherNess will return.

• Agree 7

Common sense  and good post Bughtmaster.

Surely we can give Mr.Hughes just a WEE chance to settle a disrupted team.

Remember the negativity thrown his way by some posters at the start of  his tenure here and how well he shattered all that baloney by hard work, sticking to his policy and plan and getting the players to buy into his beliefs.  So much so that we then end up with the Scottish Cup. No!!!!!!! 

Rome wasn't built in a day and it's not his fault at all that so many valuable players left all at once.

• Agree 3