Replacement Striker?

us2

I see Billy Mckay has been dropped from the latest NI squad. At least his bank balance has grown though... There's more to life(and career!) than money

Just goes to show you actually.  Liam Boyce is playing for a far smaller club in a less fashionable league but he's in the squad.  Would Mckay be in the squad if he was playing for us or some other 'unfashionable' club but playing and scoring fairly regularly?  Probably.

I see Billy Mckay has been dropped from the latest NI squad. At least his bank balance has grown though... There's more to life(and career!) than money

Just goes to show you actually.  Liam Boyce is playing for a far smaller club in a less fashionable league but he's in the squad.  Would Mckay be in the squad if he was playing for us or some other 'unfashionable' club but playing and scoring fairly regularly?  Probably.

Mckay was taken to Wigan in hope of saving them from drop. Unfortunately he never too his scoring boots with him. He only started one game for Wigan and doesn't seem to have impressed. Now Caldwells in charge it seems Billy is even lower down the pecking order so not surprised NI have dropped him. Billy was very good for us but much of that was down to the players around him and the service he got. I'd like to see him back on loan so get on the blower Yogi. I'll even get you Caldwells number if you've not got it already

• Agree 2

Just read on Sky Sports News that Sheffield Wednesday allowing clubs to contact them regarding loaning Stevie May.

Get on the phone John, he is the Striker we are calling out for!

Gone a bit quiet regarding Ajala and Darren Murray which is worrying, a bit of news regarding these 2 wouldn't go amiss!!

Just read on Sky Sports News that Sheffield Wednesday allowing clubs to contact them regarding loaning Stevie May.

Get on the phone John, he is the Striker we are calling out for!

Gone a bit quiet regarding Ajala and Darren Murray which is worrying, a bit of news regarding these 2 wouldn't go amiss!!

Quite happy to offer to drive Stevie May from Sheffield to Inverness myself.

• Agree 2

Mckay is heading for Dundee United according to The Sun. £200k fee agreed with Wigan.

Might be prudent to wait until the story appears in a newspaper before giving any weight to it.

Of course the Sun is not a newspaper.

Latest rumour on radio Tay is that Hibs are also bidding for him.

Must admit that i'm getting a bit concerned, in fact a big bit concerned, Yogi said on TV tonight that is was quite a problem getting players to come to Scotland, and that the last target didn't want to come here.

Now other teams have managed this, so it is Inverness? But players sign for Dungwell (albeit they all live in Inverness).  So why the hassle?

Also other teams seem to attract players of a decent standard on loan, given our horrendous injury situation why cant we go down the loan route to help us out?

• Agree 2

The whole striker situation is rather concerning.    We lost Billy in January and knew we would be losing Marley at the end of last season, so there has been plenty of time to seek replacements.  A few weeks ago Yogi said that by having signed Lopez and Mutombo our signings for front men was completed.  No sooner was he saying that than suddenly we are in panic mode begging the Chairman to release funding to sign a much needed striker.  The transfer window will be shutting soon and whilst teams around us seem to be able to make decent signings, we are still searching.  I dread to think what this must be doing to the confidence of the strikers he has signed.

We can talk about our very serious injury crisis but the injury crisis actually has relatively little bearing on our failure to score goals.  Yogi said that Mutombo could play anywhere along the front line, so presumably he considers him as a striker when need be: he is not injured.  Lopez may have picked up a slight injury against Hamilton but nothing that will keep him out for long, and Ferguson and Sutherland were on the bench at the weekend and so were presumably fit.  So why the last minute panic to sign a striker?

The fact is that Yogi has signed Lopez and Mutombo this season and has given contracts to the youngsters but yet seems to have no real faith in them.  Needing to chase the game against Hamilton and not putting either of the youngsters on when Lopez had to come off seems, on the face of it, to be an extraordinary statement of lack of confidence in them.  If Yogi now feels the players he has signed are not good enough then one has to question why he signed them. 

• Agree 3

i personally think we should have tried to get shankland from aberdeen on loan. could maybe have been a good grace from the dons seeing as they keep kicking our players. would have been better for him than playing down a level

That's a good deal imo. As long as we start looking for a replacement for Christie and a replacement for Stokes for next season straight away...

Stokes certainly sweetens this deal - there's no doubt he's a quality striker, although I don't care much for some of his antics off the field. Right now, however, he'll give us exactly what we're missing and the rest of the season will look a lot brighter.......until he gets injured, of course!

• Agree 2

If Ryan goes then money is there to sign Darren Murray as well, surely board will give 25k to John for him?

That would mean Murray, possibly Stokes (please come haha), Mbuyi-Mutombo, Ferguson and Sutherland as our Strikers.

Not sure whats happening with Darren though as nothing been said since he returned to Ireland, don't think he left for a new club in Ireland yet.

If we got Stokes on loan for the season, when you think of that financially, ie: how much his wages would cost us over a season it works out financially as a very god deal.  Providing we still get at least £500,000 for Ryan of course.
(I'd still rather we didn't sell him to Celtic)