Replacement Striker?

us2

BBC article on Miles Storey joining us on loan. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34108542

Elsewhere, the Swindon Advertiser says today that he was on trial with us back in January. Was he, or did they mean to say St Mirren? (All wee Scottish clubs look the same.....)

Interesting article on Storey's rise and fall at Swindon. 

http://www.swindon.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=409051

Good luck to him, hope he can relaunch his career up here, but at the same time I'll be very disappointed if he's the only striker we sign this week.

Edited by Yngwie

Swindon Advertiser match report from Storey's last game:

With Town still looking blunt up top Cooper introduced Storey, but the move backfired. Not only was Storey ineffectual, he gave away the ball which led to the Blades’ opener.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Disagree 1

Swindon Advertiser match report from Storey's last game:

With Town still looking blunt up top Cooper introduced Storey, but the move backfired. Not only was Storey ineffectual, he gave away the ball which led to the Blades’ opener.

Where do we find these strikers who cannot score goals?

Comes in with similar credentials as billy did. Not scored many but has done it on a big stage down south (Billy scored at anfield, and storey got a double against villa a couple seasons ago). definitely worth a shot and hope he does well. 9 goals in 66 games isn't great but billy wasn't much better when he joined (16 in 84). 

If we have money I'd like to see us try and get El Bakhtaou (sp!) from Dunfermline.
(If we don't he'll just end up at Hearts)

Agreed.  It would be good to sign a player that has some sort of goal scoring record no matter what level he is at, he must be buzzing at the moment and we could do with someone on form and ready to start sticking it in the back of the net. 

We could probably pick him up for £10- £20k, which is a gamble worth taking

Firstly congratulations to Ryan on securing a four year contract playing for the team he supports at more than ten times his rumoured salary. Nobody can blame the lad for accepting that.

Secondly, thanks to him for his contribution to our recent unprecedented success and his role in creating those very special Hampden memories for us all.

As far as the club is concerned, £600,000 and the player back for at least half a season is probably the best that could be negotiated from the position we found ourselves in. I am assuming we have been prudent enough to negotiate additional payments based on first team appearances and a full international call up as well as at least 20% of any future transfer fee.

That said, we should never have found ourselves in this position. We have lost the best player we have ever produced for well under a million pounds. It was clear two years ago that Ryan was a very special talent. Prudence and caution are, of course, desirable but it was over cautious in the extreme to offer the 17 year old Ryan only a two year contract even if it was going to cost the club an extra few hundred pounds a week. I have little doubt that we could have secured Ryan for at least another season and probably two. For an extra forty grand or so in salary we could almost certainly have banked at least another million pounds.

No use crying too much over spilt milk as far as Ryan is concerned but a lesson we must learn for the future.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 5

Definitely agree that the money we are receiving from Celtic should be put back into the squad. Faissal El Bakhtaoui should be a viable option for us considering Hibs were interested but now are going for Freuz.

I think we should also look at the option of getting a centre back and also a left back until at least January. I would be disappointed if we don't make any movements today. 

If we have money I'd like to see us try and get El Bakhtaou (sp!) from Dunfermline.

Agreed.  It would be good to sign a player that has some sort of goal scoring record no matter what level he is at, he must be buzzing at the moment and we could do with someone on form and ready to start sticking it in the back of the net. 

Agreed! Agreed. Now go get him Yogi!!

Robbie Muirhead to Partick on loan from the Arabs. Another one missed?

Firstly congratulations to Ryan on securing a four year contract playing for the team he supports at more than ten times his rumoured salary. Nobody can blame the lad for accepting that.

Secondly, thanks to him for his contribution to our recent unprecedented success and his role in creating those very special Hampden memories for us all.

As far as the club is concerned, £600,000 and the player back for at least half a season is probably the best that could be negotiated from the position we found ourselves in. I am assuming we have been prudent enough to negotiate additional payments based on first team appearances and a full international call up as well as at least 20% of any future transfer fee.

That said, we should never have found ourselves in this position. We have lost the best player we have ever produced for well under a million pounds. It was clear two years ago that Ryan was a very special talent. Prudence and caution are, of course, desirable but it was over cautious in the extreme to offer the 17 year old Ryan only a two year contract even if it was going to cost the club an extra few hundred pounds a week. I have little doubt that we could have secured Ryan for at least another season and probably two. For an extra forty grand or so in salary we could almost certainly have banked at least another million pounds.

No use crying too much over spilt milk as far as Ryan is concerned but a lesson we must learn for the future.

Good point well made.

Glad to finally have some decent money in the bank for a player but just think we could have done better.

Just hope this money is reinvested.

• Agree 1

I think Dunfermline will demand more than that. Wouldn't be surprised if they demand over 100k

Definitely agree that the money we are receiving from Celtic should be put back into the squad. Faissal El Bakhtaoui should be a viable option for us considering Hibs were interested but now are going for Freuz.

I think we should also look at the option of getting a centre back and also a left back until at least January. I would be disappointed if we don't make any movements today. 

Agree - El Bakhtaoui should be the prime target + some backup in defence. If no sensible re-investment today, the future will look very bleak indeed.

Kevin Mchattie has been released from Hearts. Very decent young left back worth taking on considering our problems at the back.

Considering he had interest from down South when he was playing regularly at Hearts, I'd be surprised if we could manage to get him. Would be a good signing though.