Inverness - the City of today

Unbelievable

But in post #9 which one is the Legion?

And is the Palace cinema showing in any of these?

Scarlet.. going down Huntly Street from the Ness Bridge in #9, the Glenalbyn is on the corner, then there's the kilt shop which is the next white building. The next two brown sections are the Legion (the gap between them is the entrance) before you get to a new restaurant on the other side of the lane that leads to King St. I've forgotten what the fairly small white building after that was, but next along - ther large structure with the sloping roof - is the now demolished former Palace Cinema which has been replaced by a hotel. After that you have STV, Run4It and other shops/offices and then there's a long string of buildings associated with the Catholic Church before the former West Church on the corner of Greig St.

maybe this will help Scarlet ... for some reason my missus took these pictures when we visited in 2012

post-2-0-43277600-1424295114_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-05113800-1424295123_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-92844000-1424295131_thumb.jpg

the Glenalbyn is on the corner,

I used to call into the Glen Bar on the way out at weekends, I don't remember the barman's name but he used to go wild and threaten to ban whoever put it on when One day at a time by Lena Martell was played on the juke box!  I would put my 10p in select the song when it came on wait for the reaction and quietly finish my drink and slip out the door :whistle:

I think I've got it now  Charlie and Scotty.

Your pictures sure open up the vista and the mind. Wouldn't recognize the place for goodness sake.

The river looks Fantastic though and these shots looking downstream are awesome.

Must say, if these photies are anything to go by then Inverness seems a really cool place to stay these days.

I don't know how I would settle in though, having lived in, or close to, big cities for the last many years. And the cost of living was higher than here in Canada when I was back in 2006.

With the oil crisis in the headlines the Canadian dollar is taking a pounding and the rate of exchange in terms of dollars is climbing faster than I like. It's O K if you want to cash your pension but for Liliya to come over to the U K later this year I think to buy pounds now is going to cost us a pretty penny. Already the cost of 100 pounds is almost double that in Canadian dollars.  Apparently a decent (say new) 3 bedroom house is not cheap in the town either ...

Thank you, gentlemen.  I appreciate your consideration in posting these great photos.

Must say, if these photies are anything to go by then Inverness seems a really cool place to stay these days.

I don't know how I would settle in though, having lived in, or close to, big cities for the last many years.

Scarlet, it is a cool place to stay in many ways I am sure you would settle in fine as it is a city now and we have a great football team to go an support :smile:

• Agree 2

I don't know how I would settle in though, having lived in, or close to, big cities for the last many years.

Scarlet, it is a cool place to stay in many ways I am sure you would settle in fine as it is a city now and we have a great football team to go an support :smile:

I am currently in Armagh NI at a road race. Two English runners at our BandB asked where we came from. Their immediate response tp our answer was "Ah! Inverness Caledonian Thistle!" Speaks volumes.

• Agree 1

And where many were born

I think the maternity dept was in the old Raigmore brick building until at least the end of 1985 because my son was born there then - or at least the maternity wards were in the old building, but I think the labour suite was as well.

So although many have indeed been born in the new Raigmore, I suspect that not many contributors to this thread will have been!

PS - I'm trying to place exactly from where that photo may have been taken? Given that you can see Dalneigh Road bottom centre, just becoming St Andrew Drive at the very bottom, I reckon it must have been on or above the canal banks, just a bit to the Muirtown side of where St Andrew Drive intersects St Valery Avenue.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

My son was born in 1984 and my daughter December 1986 both in the old one and the new one opened not long after so would be 1987, and I was born in Dunoon a long way from Raigmore.

My son was born in 1984 and my daughter December 1986 both in the old one and the new one opened not long after so would be 1987, and I was born in Dunoon a long way from Raigmore.

That makes sense because my son was born in the old one in Dec 1985 and my daughter in the new one in Oct 1987. I was born in the old Raigmore.

The spire is St Michaels Church in Abban Street and to the left below the tree line is the old Balnafettack Farm, the photo must have been taken from the roof of the Rose St car park.

Friars Bridge apparently but does it not look like Austria / Switzerland ?

That's exactly what I first thought but, assuming something relatively local, began to drift towards the Aviemore area. I have to say IBM, apart from his encyclopaedic knowledge of old motors, is pretty sharp at identifying bits of Sneck!

• Agree 1

That's exactly what I first thought but, assuming something relatively local, began to drift towards the Aviemore area. I have to say IBM, apart from his encyclopaedic knowledge of old motors, is pretty sharp at identifying bits of Sneck!

Good observation skills Charles :wink:

Funny you should say that. i was watching tv one day....and saw this pictured below. Does the treeline/horizon remind anyone of anywhere?

PS, ironically enough, this was filmed in Austria lol

10616049_10204139547664905_6406911285764