Inverness - the City of today

We also used to go sledging at a hill  above the Lions Gates (remember the old house at the top of the driveway there) just West of the canal road bridge as much as my fading memory serves me ... :lol:  Good slopes there. Once, I abandoned the sledge in favour of attempting to curl up and roll down the slope and ended up looking like a very large snowball. S'now right I know, but I was having a ....ball.!!

:clapoverhead:  :wave:

We also used to go sledging at a hill  above the Lions Gates (remember the old house at the top of the driveway there) just West of the canal road bridge as much as my fading memory serves me ... :lol:  Good slopes there. Once, I abandoned the sledge in favour of attempting to curl up and roll down the slope and ended up looking like a very large snowball. S'now right I know, but I was having a ....ball.!!

Would that have been somewhere between the Muirtown Motel and Blackpark filling station ? I do remember as a kid that there was a steep hill leading down to the road in between those two points (just past the motel chalets before they replaced them with a hotel block). At the top you were near the last few houses at the bottom of scorguie, at the bottom, you were basically almost on the (old) A9. Many a fun afternoon there sliding down the hill on a tyre or on a tin tea tray (nowadays that would be luge I guess !) .......

Could be Scotty but I thought it was closer to the bridge than the motel.  And there were no houses at the top of the hill except the one I remember seeing in the distance at the end of the road in from the gates. There was a stone lion on each of the stone mantels down at the  roadway entrance. For all the world the entrance gate made you think you were entering a mansion property.Maybe that place had been deserted or  just left to decay since the owner had got old or something and could not afford to keep it up. 

See if I can find some info online. Nice park-like setting though. Ideal for little people to sledge on --steepish at the top and a nice gradual flattening out from half way down to the bottom. :wave:

Would that have been somewhere between the Muirtown Motel and Blackpark filling station ? I do remember as a kid that there was a steep hill leading down to the road in between those two points (just past the motel chalets before they replaced them with a hotel block). At the top you were near the last few houses at the bottom of scorguie, at the bottom, you were basically almost on the (old) A9. Many a fun afternoon there sliding down the hill on a tyre or on a tin tea tray (nowadays that would be luge I guess !) .......

Late 60s to early 70s we used to go the fields up behind the big house on Firthview Road, I think it was called Charleston House which is now flats (escaping demolition) before Macrae built all the houses further up Firthview Road, Drive and Avenue.

Speaking of the Boating Pond. Passed thro it last week, after the flooding the previous week. The council have a bit of work to do to get the paths safe again for the public, after big chunks were washed away. Im suprised it has allowed to be open this past week tbh

Lovely looking bit of grass soon to be where the new ring road is going to run!  Speaking of the electric burn did I read somewhere recently that they were going to put in a mini hydro scheme in there or was it just a dream?