Dundee Utd -V- Inverness CT

CaleyD

Having been at the game, got home late (approx. 2am)  and had to be up early (6am) for work, I was thoroughly cheesed off reading the comments of those on this forum who seemed to believe the rubbish spouted by the commentators at the game - utter tosh for the most part.  Surely, by now, those who listen to radio commentary, must know the bias against ICT.   We, at the game, were very vocal regarding a referee (usually reasonably good) who (as Yogi saw) seemed to believe every United player who play-acted, moaned, waved their arms, complained, whatever.   Ciftci, for example, should have an Oscar for his play acting - he was involved in virtually every incident - he is a cheat, (remember the day he nearly throttled Graeme Shinnie but got off with it later), and will always be a cheat.  Leopards don't change their spots and unfortunately Gary Warren is now red-carded for this United players actions.   Surely it is time that the "high heid yins" in the SPFL were brave (as if) and made a stand (huh, again as if) to stamp out these actors/histrionics.   They are a disgrace and have no place in football.   

Sorry for this rant - overtired due to lack of sleep, but......ever an avid ICT supporter, despite Ciftci and Dundee United.   Onwards to Mudderwell on Saturday and then stopping any dancing in the streets of Raith!! the following Saturday. 

• Agree 4

saw Richie foran at inverness leisure pool tonight. was with his son in the kiddies pool, walking about.

he has a brace on from his thigh to his ankle, keeping his leg straight and looks like the sides of it are screwed into either side of his knee.

didn't recognise him at first, only when he said something to his son I heard the irish accent.

not being active he has put on " a bit of weight "

cant see him returning this year, but hopefully sometime after.

• Agree 1

saw Richie foran at inverness leisure pool tonight. was with his son in the kiddies pool, walking about.

he has a brace on from his thigh to his ankle, keeping his leg straight and looks like the sides of it are screwed into either side of his knee.

didn't recognise him at first, only when he said something to his son I heard the irish accent.

Disappointing news indeed.    Hope whatever is the problem is sorted soon. 

Robo-Foran to play upfront on Saturday.

Well we lose our vice captain in the summer, in one respect this is a plus, in the sense that our new leader on the park whoever is chosen can posses a more dynamic role. Putting urgency and drive into the minds of the players. Taking a theoretical grip of all situations on the park and leading us out of trouble. Be it a quiet word or the use of the K I T A principle

We need someone with the ability to have his players channel their energies into taking their frustrations out by getting the ball in the opposition net instead of having a yellow card competition.

Graeme has been a very valuable player for us and would be for any team but I do question his ability of captaining a side.

I was gutted we only got the draw, the collection of cards and suspensions all together this game could have cost us dear.

Incidentally it is not a striker for the sake of having a striker, we need but an opportunist who puts away the chances regardless of position he plays in.

• Agree 1

Having been at the game, got home late (approx. 2am)  and had to be up early (6am) for work, I was thoroughly cheesed off reading the comments of those on this forum who seemed to believe the rubbish spouted by the commentators at the game - utter tosh for the most part.  Surely, by now, those who listen to radio commentary, must know the bias against ICT.   We, at the game, were very vocal regarding a referee (usually reasonably good) who (as Yogi saw) seemed to believe every United player who play-acted, moaned, waved their arms, complained, whatever.   Ciftci, for example, should have an Oscar for his play acting - he was involved in virtually every incident - he is a cheat, (remember the day he nearly throttled Graeme Shinnie but got off with it later), and will always be a cheat.  Leopards don't change their spots and unfortunately Gary Warren is now red-carded for this United players actions.   Surely it is time that the "high heid yins" in the SPFL were brave (as if) and made a stand (huh, again as if) to stamp out these actors/histrionics.   They are a disgrace and have no place in football.   

Sorry for this rant - overtired due to lack of sleep, but......ever an avid ICT supporter, despite Ciftci and Dundee United.   Onwards to Mudderwell on Saturday and then stopping any dancing in the streets of Raith!! the following Saturday. 

As a postscript - anyone (please) (just hope Andycam has it)  got footage of an ICT corner near the end.   Ciftci, standing beside his own goalkeeper, as the ball comes in - Ciftci throws his OWN goalkeeper to the ground! obviously in the hope that the referee will think that an ICT player has fouled the goalkeeper.   Now - who has planned that?   Ciftci?  the goalkeeper?  the manager?  who?  It seemed planned so someone must have thought of it.    Really dirty work at the cross roads .... typical of a cheating team and, time action was taken.   Those of us who saw it were appalled. 

Just watched the highlights and i am appalled by a couple of things. First off davie was right in his description of the pitch, that was a disgrace that not even weeds could grow on let alone actual grass. As for ciftci he was a disgrace and I hope he gets what is coming to him because he is a veil player goes to far. Although they didnt score what does he do not to get a yellow card for what wasn't just a push but almost an assault that left our player (think it was meekings) not just falling on the floor but actually sliding along it the force was so hard. As for warren silly to get involved but perfectly understandable as another blatant act of trying to hurt another player. There is physicality in football and i do believe that it may have got a bit to soft on what is a foul and what is not but this is a genuine attempt to hurt another player. When we play them again at our place I hope he gets what he deserves with a few nice little kicks to his shins and the crowd give him pelters. As for the BBC i know they don't particularly give us much but I feel totally conned by some of their commentary. I said last night that although people were talking about evening the game up with Calum Murray I thought he had done us a favour with Raven and especially Watkins which sounded a shocker. Raven was lucky from the hightlights but Watkins apparently went in two footed and was a straight red. Now the tackle was stupid and reckless and justified his yellow but it was no where near a two footer so wow thanks BBC i thought you couldnt get any lower.   

The comment from the commentary team I disliked most of all was when Raven committed the foul near the end, someone said Raven is walking away looking rather sheepish the retort was what would you expect from a player from up there, then sniggers and silence.

• Agree 1

How about we forget all this paranoia about the media being biased against us and get on with trying to win matches and qualify for Europe ? The sheep reference wasn't particularly funny but nor was it the insult of the century.

We may not get much coverage the central belt media but when we do it's generally favourable.

• Agree 2

Not mentioned above but I detected some considerable disharmony on the pitch and off during the game. Esson and the bench were having a right ding dong at one stage. The bench appeared to be telling him to kick the ball long and he was disputing the validity of this. (purely my interpretation). At other junctures various other players got involved. Never seen so many verbals this season. What was going on on the pitch must have been unsettling but, in the stands, I was thinking.....".just pass it and keep it like we know you can and the second goal will come....game over". It's easy on the terraces though!

• Agree 1

How about we forget all this paranoia about the media being biased against us and get on with trying to win matches and qualify for Europe ? The sheep reference wasn't particularly funny but nor was it the insult of the century.

We may not get much coverage the central belt media but when we do it's generally favourable.

Absolutely right.  I'm starting to get quite bored of this constant "they hate us", "the commentators/press/referees are biased against us", "we were last on Sportscene cause they hate us" clap trap that permeates from ICT fans whenever something doesn't go our way.  Some people are starting to sound like OF fans and it's fast becoming cringeworthy and tedious in the extreme.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

Just watched the highlights and i am appalled by a couple of things. First off davie was right in his description of the pitch, that was a disgrace that not even weeds could grow on let alone actual grass. As for ciftci he was a disgrace and I hope he gets what is coming to him because he is a veil player goes to far. Although they didnt score what does he do not to get a yellow card for what wasn't just a push but almost an assault that left our player (think it was meekings) not just falling on the floor but actually sliding along it the force was so hard. As for warren silly to get involved but perfectly understandable as another blatant act of trying to hurt another player. There is physicality in football and i do believe that it may have got a bit to soft on what is a foul and what is not but this is a genuine attempt to hurt another player. When we play them again at our place I hope he gets what he deserves with a few nice little kicks to his shins and the crowd give him pelters. As for the BBC i know they don't particularly give us much but I feel totally conned by some of their commentary. I said last night that although people were talking about evening the game up with Calum Murray I thought he had done us a favour with Raven and especially Watkins which sounded a shocker. Raven was lucky from the hightlights but Watkins apparently went in two footed and was a straight red. Now the tackle was stupid and reckless and justified his yellow but it was no where near a two footer so wow thanks BBC i thought you couldnt get any lower.   

If Cifci gets what he deserves we'll not be seeing him again this season.

Having seen the highlights I don't think Raven did anything to warrant a 2nd yellow, in fact, I'd question if it was a foul at all.  Utd player made a meal of an inocuous challenge and did his best to try to get a fellow professional sent off.

Watkins is a different matter.  The commentry team may have had it wrong in that it wasn't a two footed lunge but instead it was a one footed stamp.  That to me is a red card every time and I think he was very lucky only to get a yellow.  Seemed to me he got a little nudge in the back which caused him to lose control of the ball and as a result he lost his composure as well.

The team needs to quickly move on from this and focus on playing football and keeping their cool.  Motherwell may be bottom but they are fighting for their lives and having seen how we reacted to a bit of roughing up, they will give us a very hard game.  With a lengthy gap in league action after Saturday it is vital we get the three points on Saturday so we can go into the run up to the split with a clear advantage in 3rd place.

Looking at the current United starting eleven, the kinds of antics being described by returning spectators should have been predictable. The flair players have gone, and all that remain are a team of hatchet men. The continual selection of Butcher ahead of Rankin belies the media myth of McNamara's 'football philosophy'. I don't think I've ever watched a United game where Paul Paton didn't feign serious injury at some point to try to get an opponent sent off. Playing the hardman one minute, rolling around holding his face the next. 

It's pretty ironic really. Only a year ago after deservedly knocking them out of the league cup they were denouncing us as a team of hammer throwers. How the tables have turned.

Ciftci is definitely a bad egg and his behavior is decidedly Shifty.

I remember some bizarre incident on the touchline with Terry Butcher and him....?

The suggestion of "fair play '' will rarely if ever enter his mind. He will not change until someone gives him a real "doing" but for that act the miscreant would suffer  a punitive reaction from the beaks and so it will never happen, unless it's done swiftly and silently in a heated match  whilst the play is at the other end.

Now, if someone were to carry an electronic shock device like the police do .....?. :laugh:  You know, hide a Taser up yer breeks and bump into him accidentally which contact releases an automatic charge to activate the taser, This followed by rolling around on the ground in agony as a neat diversion...

I dunno--what else could one do when the authorities will never suspend him "sine die" like Willie Woodburn of the Rangers in days gone by..... :sad:

I don't think the media is gainst us, I just think the quality is terrible.

I am sure that there are 38 other clubs that feel the same as us (the ugly sisters and for some reason Aberdeen seem to get ample coverage).

I don't feel offended by the sheep reference, I just found it pointless and embarassing (but that would sum up the commentary team that evening), particularly from a national broadcaster.

I've never really felt any media bias against ICT. The other night, however, was a little different.

When a team from our country plays a team from another country, I would expect the commentary to be a little biased towards the team from our country.

Just felt that we were the team from the other country!

I've never really felt any media bias against ICT. The other night, however, was a little different.

When a team from our country plays a team from another country, I would expect the commentary to be a little biased towards the team from our country.

Just felt that we were the team from the other country!

The Highlands are another country....and that country is ours !

I don't wish to 'ram' this point down your throat KIngsmills but I do think that media reporting should be unbiased and impartial, as indeed should moderating be,  so if a slur or sarcastic remark is made against our team then I or anybody else is entitled to make a comment on this forum.

I sometimes do wish the Highlands are another country, unfortunately we are not, despite the alienation given us by many southern counties or regions in the United Kingdom.

• Agree 1

I don't wish to 'ram' this point down your throat KIngsmills but I do think that media reporting should be unbiased and impartial, as indeed should moderating be,  so if a slur or sarcastic remark is made against our team then I or anybody else is entitled to make a comment on this forum.

I sometimes do wish the Highlands are another country, unfortunately we are not, despite the alienation given us by many southern counties or regions in the United Kingdom.

I agree entirely, this is an open forum and any poster is free to allege media bias against ICT. Equally, other posters, even Moderators, are also at liberty to voice a different opinion. There wouldn't be much activity on here if we all agreed with one another.

The comment from the commentary team I disliked most of all was when Raven committed the foul near the end, someone said Raven is walking away looking rather sheepish the retort was what would you expect from a player from up there, then sniggers and silence.

The best one I ever heard was by someone actually from "up there". Just last Saturday there was a Sportsound discussion on some club which had engaged a sleep therapist to help their players sleep properly.

Willie Miller then came away with a thoroughly brilliant one liner the gist of which was "When I was at Aberdeen, if we had any problem sleeping we just counted sheep." :lol:

• Agree 2