Dundee Utd -V- Inverness CT

CaleyD

A great opportunity missed yes if it was 11 v 11 I would have taken that even before the game .but to be a man up and a goal up from  the 7th minute we should have went on to win  according to the BBC in the first half we had 62% possession yet only 4 attempts  the same as Untd  2 on target to Untd's 3  at the end of the game 59% possession  7 attempts to Untd's 8 we had 3 on target to their 4.

Once again we lose a goal at a set piece looks like we need to practice on the training ground. Is Devine injured noticed he was not on the Bench

Come on we would have all taken a point before kick off and we did and do now NOT have a centre forward and we do NOT have a centre Half. That is what happens when you are threadbare and I disciplined. And we are getting drained. Next two games were winnable but now it is PLEASE.

Disappointing, to say the least, to surrender the lead for the fourth time in two matches, this time against a team out of form, low in confidence and down to ten men for almost the entire match.

Sounds from the commentary that we had enough chances to win comfortably but suffered from not having a natural striker. It's difficult to be too critical after the season we've had but we are seeing the consequences of being the only club in the league without a single experienced striker and the folly of not having a viable contingency plan for replacing Billy McKay.

If we do fall short of an historical European qualification it will be down to having no plan in place to deal with something that was pretty well inevitable.

Maybe it's not too late and there is an unattached forward to we can bring in. Marley is working hard and doing sterling work but goal scoring is not his forte.

Very well said that man ... But is anyone listening??

• Agree 1

Listened to the game and although the question from our twitter was why weren't more utd players booked and callum murray not having a great night it does sound like he did let us off the hook a little with raven and Watkins. Raven booked inside 10 secs of ko in the first half is ridiculous but then to immediately dive in straight after half time is criminal and then apparently Marley went in two footed and was lucky not to see a straight red but I havent seen it and it could be the genuinely biased BBC commentary team  making it sound worse than it was.  

That was the most frustrating and bizarre game I have seen in a while. Apart from the first 10 mins I thought we looked disjointed and didn't know where too pass. The old hoof it up was in place rather than Hughes' sexy passing game! Ref was card happy but some challenges deserved it and maybe should have been more while some United tackles same as ours went unpunished. Who knows what will happen next week.....

• Agree 1

In the post match interview Yogi was saying that all the decisions were going Utd's way as if the ref felt he needed to even things up.  It certainly didn't sound that way on the radio and one gets the impression that we were lucky to end up with more than 8 players on the park.  But even if there was serious provocation the level of indiscipline is inexcusable.  Being one goal and one man up for 85 mins we should have been disciplined and focussed on possession and keeping the ball in the opposition half.  We should have won the game comfortably.  Not only has the indiscipline resulted in the gap being 6 points rather than 10, Warren will now be suspended and others are building up disciplinary points which could well be costly later on given the threadbare squad we have.  It will be interesting to hear the views of those at the game.

• Agree 1

Worrying - Sneckboy where are we up to with suspensions ?

That's Watkins with 6 league cautions now, so he's due a one-game suspension. But, usually players in that situation are free for the next match and the ban 'kicks in' for the following game. So, I think he'll be okay for Motherwell and the Cup game v Raith, but will miss the Partick Thistle away fixture.

But Warren, it seems got a straight red - which means he'll certainly miss the next game. Depending on what the referees report states as the reason for his dismissal, he could get an immediate 2 game (all competition) ban - meaning he'd miss Motherwell and then the cup tie.

Won't know for sure until the SFA disciplinary weekly report comes out on Friday!

While I'm on here, that was our first score-draw, away from home, under Hughes. (in his 27th league game with us on the road!)

Edited by Sneckboy

I was out all evening and not able to sneak a look at my phone at all.  My first reaction on seeing the score just now  was,  "I'll take that".  But despite maintaining our 7 point lead over Utd, this thread seems full of doom and gloom.  Ok it is disappointing to lose Warren, and it is another game where we haven't capitalised on our possession. But, lighten up folks, we're still unbeaten this year.  Wouldn't we all have settled for this position at the start of the season?

It is still in our own hands. Believe!

• Agree 6

To sum up that match in one word:  TORTUOUS.

Most of that game was just agony for us, knowing that we had failed to capitalise on the possession and pressure we'd had and Utd grew in confidence.  We were panicky and the passing was the most atrocious we've seen under Hughes. Just couldn't keep possession. Players who have been doing well recently had off nights (sorry Ryan - footballing brain was certainly in gear tonight but the passes and through balls just weren't working at all for some reason, alternating between overhit and underhit). Couldn't get the game under control and an equaliser grew more and more inevitable, albeit it was a scrappy goal.

That goal sparked a bit of life into us and the game opened up, helped by Utd sensing our weakness and boldly making attack minded substitutions.  The sad truth is Hughes didn't make substitutions because we had NOBODY on the bench of sufficient calibre to influence a game like this one. Nobody.

This game was not a good advert for the SPFL. Pretty terrible football and very few real chances created.  Not sure what the foul count was but it seemed very high, and the ref had dug a hole for himself by booking Raven in the first few seconds, setting a fairly low bar for yellows.

Very hard to pick our MotM as nobody stood out. Perhaps Shinnie, one of the calmest heads when on the ball.  And Draper was the only presence in midfield.

Fair result in the end, and one we'd have all taken before the start.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

Would have taken a point before the game. This could be our best ever season, top 3 / 4 and on a great cup run, however...... this was a disappointing result given Utd were down to 10 men for so long.

Utd came out and went for it in the second half and we couldn't cope. Why did Hughes not make any changes - Tremarco for Raven (Shinnie to right back) or Polworth on for Christie to regain control of  the midfield. Against Killie on Saturday I thought we faded in the last 15 - 20 minutes and was therefore not surprised by our second have performance given the same players were on the pitch today.

And why did we lose our discipline - Warren gets tangled up with Ciftci (why  :frustrated01: ) and will likely miss the next 3 matches which I think includes the cup game. A few players must be close to suspensions and we have very little cover, we need Doran, Devine and Vincent fit asap.

Anyway let's hope can put the disappointment of dropping 4 points in 4 days behind us and get a comfortable win on Saturday!

Just back from game. Shocking performance,worst I have seen in ages, so many players ineffective. Not often I have seen us being outmuscled, but tonight was in that category, and why when we have a card happy ref, do we give him so many decisions to make by making silly challenges. Would like to have seen changes, but looking at bench would have meant a re jig of what has served us well this far this year. Sending off seemed to effect us as much as it did the ref. neither him or us took a grip of the game, and in the end can have no complaints about the result. On a bright note still unbeaten this year,

Again Board no conviction too scared to give decent contracts to all players so we lose players and do NOT replace them

There have been a few fairly daft and unrealistic comments on here since full time tonight but this one really must take the biscuit for its utterly crass cluelessness.

In a sentence, there are some people complaining that a club with a turnover of less than £4 million (which would fund just over 34 minutes of the EPL on Sky/BT) but is still now enterting a third month unbeaten in all competitions, isn't consistently churning out victory after victory in the upper reaches of the SPFL Premiership against rivals with player budgets often several times as large.

Does Brian have the remotest scooby about the board's strategy to fund a team which is now heading for its third season in the top six on gross revenues of less than £4 million derived from crowds which fail to hit 3000 with alarming frequency? Clearly Brian does not.

• Agree 3

although we are annoyed at tonight there is room to be optimistic. This weekend is the last weekend where United play in the league before they face a very difficult month facing Celtic three weeks in a row.if the gap is still 7 or we can improve it again then this could be the pivotal time. United play in the cup like us so we don't gain there but the weekend after we get a two week gap so if the guys need a little recharge then that would be good with United in League cup action. Then they face Celtic away in their first league match so we may not have games in that period to rack up points and put pressure on but having that break may do the players good and if they take some batterings off Celtic in all 3 games or even just the final then their morale could plummet. We just have to keep our feet grounded and keep going. We can beat anyone on our day and we just need to gain some composure back and see out games. I think the battle will go to the end but with them having to play us again on a midweek but up north we are in the driving seat. I mean we haven't actually been beaten so to be disappointed in 2 points out of our last 2 matches shows how far we have come so Comon lads lets not undo the good work this season and push for that finishing line