Inverness Of Tomorrow ?

What a complete @rse Highland Council are making of this West Link project.  I mean, how long does it take to build a bloody road?

Now, in 2015, they still haven't got it as far as the planning permission stage whereas Tesco signed up to providing £340,000 towards it on the assumption that it would be FINISHED by 2011!

There has got to be something fundamentally wrong with a system of local government when an urgent need is identified and years later nothing has been done to meet it.

Meanwhile I can't make up my mind which is the bigger problem created by the eternal comings and goings over this road - continuing total traffic chaos in Inverness or these tedious, long winded letters in the papers from that guy John West who is fast becoming the Oddquine of the West Link Road :lol:

• Agree 1

What a complete @rse Highland Council are making of this West Link project.  I mean, how long does it take to build a bloody road?

Now, in 2015, they still haven't got it as far as the planning permission stage whereas Tesco signed up to providing £340,000 towards it on the assumption that it would be FINISHED by 2011!

There has got to be something fundamentally wrong with a system of local government when an urgent need is identified and years later nothing has been done to meet it.

Meanwhile I can't make up my mind which is the bigger problem created by the eternal comings and goings over this road - continuing total traffic chaos in Inverness or these tedious, long winded letters in the papers from that guy John West who is fast becoming the Oddquine of the West Link Road :lol:

I quite agree Charles, Some people seem to have little to do other than to write tedious, long winded and often misguided letters to the local press..

• Agree 4

Im really hacked off that the cost has effectivley DOUBLED. Apparently...only about £1.8 million was allocated to relocationg the golf course, when the actual figure is nearer £9M. Whoever gets away with making such HUGE errors in judgement should be sacked. I could probably provide are more accurate guess than these so called professionals. Its like The Scottish Parliment, ended up costing about 10 times the projected figure. It REALLY annoys me. There are a lot of rich people lining their pockets on such projects, and little is done about it.
Then.....Your going to have two swing bridges close together, so not sure how that will keep traffic flowing in the summer when the canal is busier, coz....many might not know, but due to an old law...boats actually have the right of way over traffic!

• Agree 1

I think the majority of the people in Inverness think the same Scotty but our elected councilors know better!

these animations show how they hope to keep things flowing .... still think a raised bridge or a tunnel would have been the way to go .... 

Edited by IBM
  • Agree 1

Im really hacked off that the cost has effectivley DOUBLED. Apparently...only about £1.8 million was allocated to relocationg the golf course, when the actual figure is nearer £9M. Whoever gets away with making such HUGE errors in judgement should be sacked. I could probably provide are more accurate guess than these so called professionals. Its like The Scottish Parliment, ended up costing about 10 times the projected figure. It REALLY annoys me. There are a lot of rich people lining their pockets on such projects, and little is done about it.

Then.....Your going to have two swing bridges close together, so not sure how that will keep traffic flowing in the summer when the canal is busier, coz....many might not know, but due to an old law...boats actually have the right of way over traffic!

Is that not because they decided to build a centre of sporting excellence

That design won't ease the traffic problems on Kenneth st or Tomnahurich st. The problems there are caused by articulated lorries thundering through the town. Those lorries aren't going to negotiate all those roundabouts. The lorries will continue using the same route. Those roundabouts are there to allow developers to open up building land just like all those ones on the new(ish) road to Milton of leys. If that's the aim of the project, fair enough. But if the idea is to ease congestion through town, the only way is a high bridge or a tunnel.

The last thing we need is another bloody swing bridge though.

Edited by robbylad