Europa Places

Dargo20

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/europe-201415/

SPFL website doesn't cover the event of should the both finalists be qualified for Europe. In that particular event, hypothetically the final is Celtic vs Caley Thistle and we finished 3rd in the league then regardless of the score the remaining European spot would go to fourth placed team in the league. 

Edited by ICTRoughi

Those are the rules for qualification to this season's European competitions.

I'm pretty sure that this season (i.e. qualification for next season's European competitions) the runners up in the Cup do not get a Europa league place if they lose to the Chanpions. In that case there is no qualifier from the cup, and the third place goes to fourth in the league.

From Wikipedia (so the usual warnings apply):

• When the domestic cup winners (considered as the "highest-placed" qualifier within the national association with the latest starting round) also qualify for the Champions League, their Europa League place is vacated. As a result, the highest-placed team in the league which have not yet qualified for European competitions qualify for the Europa League, with the Europa League qualifiers which finish above them in the league moved up one "place" (the 2015–16 season will be the first with this particular arrangement where the domestic cup runners-up are no longer guaranteed a place in the Europa League in this scenario).

If you make the assumption that us, Celtic, Aberdeen & Dundee Utd finish in the top 4 it makes things much simpler.

If a non-premiership team wins the cup then the top 3 qualify for Europe.

If us, Celtic or Dundee United win the cup then the top 4 qualify.

If Celtic win the league and the cup the runner up in the cup goes in the Europa league draw.

Its simpler to win 2 cups and settle for champions league footy.

No, that's wrong. There is NO runner-up qualification from the cup anymore.

If we keep winning then we won't need to worry as we would end 3rd, maybe even 2nd.

United are dropping points and still have to play us twice (most likely 3 times), St Johnstone twice, Celtic and Aberdeen twice.

If we can beat them twice then we would go 12 clear meaning we could drop points to Celtic and Aberdeen.

Even 2 draws or a win and draw wouldn't be too bad.

We will get into Europe, mark my words ;) :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

If Celtic win the league and the cup the runner up in the cup goes in the Europa league draw.

This season or next ?

'The domestic cup runners-up, provided they have not yet qualified for European competitions, qualify for the Europa League as the "lowest-placed" qualifier (with the earliest starting round), with the other Europa League qualifiers moved up one "place" (the 2014–15 season is the last with this particular arrangement).'

Edited by 12th Man

This season or next ?

From this season (for next season's Europa League).

This season or next ?

From this season (for next season's Europa League).

Cheers.

Any idea on the dates that potential Europa League qualifiers would fall on. I've my honeymoon in July, so it would be Sod's law that they clash!

June 22, 2015

draw for 1st and 2nd qualifying round Europa League

July 2, 2015

1st qualifying round (1st leg)

July 9, 2015

1st qualifying round (2nd leg)

July 16, 2015

2nd qualifying round (1st leg)

July 23, 2015

2nd qualifying round (2nd leg)

• Agree 1

Got a wee tingle thinking about it! (Not you're honeymoon!)

Imagine the anticipation for the draw on June 22nd? - with the first game only 10 days away! Games coming on consecutive Tuesdays....

I haven't looked ahead to any further than that - there is a Third qualifying round and then a 'Play-Off' round before the Group Stages.

In pre-season this year, coincidentally, we played friendlies on the 4 'dates' above -

July 2nd - Clach

July 9th - Forres

July 16th - Brora

July 23rd - Deveronvale

We could be looking at an altogether different scenario this summer!

Any idea on the dates that potential Europa League qualifiers would fall on. I've my honeymoon in July, so it would be Sod's law that they clash!

...honeymoon's gotta go! Or "how about a wee trip to Belarus instead of Barbados, Darling?" Could just work

• Agree 1

The trouble with getting short notice for those early rounds is that there sometimes isn't enough time for fans to get visas for ties in certain places,unless they travel in person to an embassy in London and pay a fortune for an emergency visa, as St Johnstone fans found in one of their recent forays (Minsk?).  I think even the club had to arrange player visas for 2 different countries at great expense while waiting the outcome of a preliminary round tie to see which of 2 teams they were going to face.

Just remember one other point. One of the 3 Scottish teams will start in the 2nd Qualifying round. It's supposed to be the winners of the Scottish Cup, but depending who wins it, it could transfer to being the Premiership runner-up.

June 22, 2015

draw for 1st and 2nd qualifying round Europa League

July 2, 2015

1st qualifying round (1st leg)

July 9, 2015

1st qualifying round (2nd leg)

July 16, 2015

2nd qualifying round (1st leg)

July 23, 2015

2nd qualifying round (2nd leg)

Many thanks!! I'm away 9th to 31st July... so I'll need us to stay in the competition until August... or get an away leg on July 2nd.