Inverness CT - V - Kilmarnock Matchday Thread

TopSix

On another day we would have won that 3-1 and everyone would have been raving about the great play all over the park.

Unfortunately, lady luck shone a bit brighter on Killie and had a big hand in their first two goals.

Such is the nature of the game sometimes and I think it would be a bit unfair to go looking for scapegoats.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the feed back lads you confirm a lot of what I was 'reading' into the game from the excellent but rather biased Killie commentary.

Esson imo never has commanded the box or organised the defence as well as Brill does, though far be it for me to blame him for losing us the lead in the way we did.

It was interesting to note that we didn't really miss any glaring chances this time, which has to date kept our scoring rate down where it is. Strangely I am heartened from this result

with the cup round coming up and the visit to Tannadice. It is a reminder to the team that we have got to be alert all the time at the back and keep scoring goals up front.

We are still on the glory road but it is going to be a rocky one. I think that was what Latapy was inferring in his recent interview,a case of   keep on your toes lads and don't slip back

• Agree 1

Do I feel robbed? No, we should have been able to defend a bit better. I do feel hard done by however.

The first Killie goal was as the result of a speculative shot that took a deflection. The defence didn't track back and left their striker one-on-one with Esson. The free kick that led to the second equaliser was a bit soft I felt, and followed a head shot on Nick Ross that should have been dealt with by the referee but wasn't Killie then got another lucky break when the ball came back off the post and hit Esson on the back and went in. The third came about from some sloppy attacking - that would be my main gripe with us today, we gave the ball away when we had them under pressure too many times - unfortunately we gave the ball away on the halfway line and they scored from the header.

Difficult to judge our first two goals as I was at the other end, but the third by Williams was a beauty. That nob Rob Maclean was spouting some pish about it being deflected - dream on no Killie player got near it, including the keeper.

And now we come to the waste of a skin that was the referee. WTF did Macgennis have to do to get booked? Every jump that he had no chance of winning was either a barge or an elbow into the defender (in fact all the Killie forwards were guilty of that). The last "challenge" that led to his final warning looked like a clear elbow into Warren. A yellow on its own at the least. That the treatment handed out to Nick Ross went unpunished was appalling. And why did he not need to use his vanishing spray for free kicks on the stand side, but did need to on the far side? His "I'm in charge" talk to Pascali when he was shoving Warren at the free kick they scored from was pointless, considering he then proceeded to do nothing. And what was the added time at the end of the match about? 1 minute which was taken up by the Killie defender rolling about after Meekings was booked.

And why was Pascali pulling his own player's shirt at a set piece in the second half? Clumsy attempt to con the ref?

• Agree 3

Given the run we've been on I thought that was a pretty nervy and lacklustre performance against a team we should have beaten.  We have a huge game against Dundee Utd on Tuesday and we are going to have to play better if we are to get anything out of that.  I thought Tansey and Draper were both well short of their normal high standards. Ross and Williams both did reasonably well in midfield (great strike from Williams!) but MOTM for me was Christie by a country mile.  He worked tirelessly and was always wanting the ball despite getting some pretty rough treatment which the referee seemed happy to condone.

Defensively we were not great and there were a number of individual errors which led to goals.  Whilst it is, of course, fantastic that we are still unbeaten in 2015, it is a bit worrying that  after taking the lead against County we were pegged back to a draw, then against both St Mirren and Partick we had a two goal cushion and they pulled one back and then today, we took the lead no less than 3 times and were pegged back each time.  Yogi was talking about this last week saying we have to learn to kill teams off.  Whatever he said to the team clearly didn't work!  That is now 4 games in a row where we have allowed the opposition to score the last goal of the game and these games have been against 4 of the bottom 5.  Interestingly, that coincides with Brill's absence from the team.  It would be good to know how close he is to a return to fitness.

On the balance of play we might consider ourselves a little unlucky not to get all 3 points but to be honest, we never created a lot of chances and at times gifted them opportunities to attack through sloppiness.  So we probably got what we deserved.  A 3-3 scoreline sounds great but in truth it reflected defensive frailties rather than good attacking football.  At least Dundee Utd lost and we strengthen our hold of 3rd place. 

• Agree 2

Some good perspective there too HTG

I have just watched and listened to JH's post match interview there He is handling interviews  better all the time, he picked up on nearly everything that has been said on this forum analysed and made his crit.

There goes a man who knows his football !!

We need Brill back between the posts.

We need a right back.

We need to get more than 2900 at our games.

I thought some players did well, others faded in the second half, and we were unlucky to lose 3 goals.  Williams goal was a peach!  Ryan is a great player(Christie)  but Raven needs some competition for that place, he came close to costing us all the points today.

• Agree 1

We need a right back.

I thought some players did well, others faded in the second half, and we were unlucky to lose 3 goals. Williams goal was a peach! Ryan is a great player(Christie) but Raven needs some competition for that place, he came close to costing us all the points today.

Jeez.

Guy who has had a pretty decent season is a bit below par, so should be punted?

And what exactly has Esson done wrong? Lot less bomb scare back passes since he's been in net.

• Agree 2

Like a lot of folk I was properly fizzing with frustration at full-time - at our players for blowing the lead three times, at their players for kicking us (and, in Magennis' case, shoving) and at the referee for a performance best described as 'inconsistent'.

On reflection, though, it was just one of those days.  We dominated for long spells.  We played some decent stuff.  And of the three goals that we conceded, two were really very unlucky - Eccleston gets a hugely fortunate break of the ball for the first, and the second was a great free kick that goes in via the post and Esson.  The third equalizer was the most hard to stomach.  We're far more vulnerable at set pieces than we used to be, and I think it's crazy that we keep three players up when defending corners.  It just means there's more space in the box, which is one of the reasons why Obadeyi got a clear shot away.

A lot of criticism for Esson from the folk who sit around me, but I thought it was harsh.  He was unlucky for the second, and he'd have been struggling to fight through a scrum of players in the six yard box to get to the cross for the third.

As stated elsewhere, Christie was absolutely magnificent today.  He floated in between their defence in midfield and caused havoc.  On a lot of occasions, I thought he was let down by less talented teammates who weren't on the same wavelength!

Call me a pessimist, but I've never really believed that a second place finish was going to happen.  However, today is the first day I've ever really thought that third place was on the cards, thanks to Dundee United's result.  So let's look back on it as a point gained.

• Agree 3

We need a right back.

I thought some players did well, others faded in the second half, and we were unlucky to lose 3 goals.  Williams goal was a peach!  Ryan is a great player(Christie)  but Raven needs some competition for that place, he came close to costing us all the points today.

You high bud, raven has been fantastic this season 

• Agree 1

We need a right back.

I thought some players did well, others faded in the second half, and we were unlucky to lose 3 goals. Williams goal was a peach! Ryan is a great player(Christie) but Raven needs some competition for that place, he came close to costing us all the points today.

You high bud, raven has been fantastic this season

I suppose it speaks volumes for his form this season that people are disappointed with his performance today, but really?

Raven's the best right back we've ever had, but the third goal today did come from his error in the midfield. These things happen though. A win over Dundee United in midweek and we can start looking out our passports.

Christie was absolutely magnificent today.  He floated in between their defence in midfield and caused havoc.  On a lot of occasions, I thought he was let down by less talented teammates who weren't on the same wavelength!

He's the best footballing brain we've had at the club since Marius Niculae.

• Agree 1

Wow! Some rather conflicting opinions here.         But also some good, insightful posts.

Sounds like  just one of these days, accompanied by inconsistent reffing.

The season is getting on chums and all teams will encounter difficulties as time goes on. Even the best of teams have unaccountable lapses.

The pending release of Shinnie  may also just have had an unsettling influence on the smooth scrolling of the team's energy, used as they are to working with the same lads time after time--people they know and whose moves they also know.

Then again, these things may also prevent complacency creeping in.

It's up to John Hughes to step in and  show the way. Steady the Buffs and all. :clapoverhead:

Do I feel robbed? No, we should have been able to defend a bit better. I do feel hard done by however.

The first Killie goal was as the result of a speculative shot that took a deflection. The defence didn't track back and left their striker one-on-one with Esson. The free kick that led to the second equaliser was a bit soft I felt, and followed a head shot on Nick Ross that should have been dealt with by the referee but wasn't Killie then got another lucky break when the ball came back off the post and hit Esson on the back and went in. The third came about from some sloppy attacking - that would be my main gripe with us today, we gave the ball away when we had them under pressure too many times - unfortunately we gave the ball away on the halfway line and they scored from the header.

Difficult to judge our first two goals as I was at the other end, but the third by Williams was a beauty. That nob Rob Maclean was spouting some pish about it being deflected - dream on no Killie player got near it, including the keeper.

And now we come to the waste of a skin that was the referee. WTF did Macgennis have to do to get booked? Every jump that he had no chance of winning was either a barge or an elbow into the defender (in fact all the Killie forwards were guilty of that). The last "challenge" that led to his final warning looked like a clear elbow into Warren. A yellow on its own at the least. That the treatment handed out to Nick Ross went unpunished was appalling. And why did he not need to use his vanishing spray for free kicks on the stand side, but did need to on the far side? His "I'm in charge" talk to Pascali when he was shoving Warren at the free kick they scored from was pointless, considering he then proceeded to do nothing. And what was the added time at the end of the match about? 1 minute which was taken up by the Killie defender rolling about after Meekings was booked.

And why was Pascali pulling his own player's shirt at a set piece in the second half? Clumsy attempt to con the ref]

Well said in all respects mate. Essentially the exact same frustrations I had with the game today

Was frustrating listening to OAM that everytime Rob McClean opened his trap when we were leading that it was an equaliser. As said to score three goals at home especially going ahead three times then we should have had the points but the performance sounds like it wasn't to bad so hopefully it hasn't stunted out momentum. I think we should jut right this off as one of those games (high scoring games seem to be against Killie). Dundee Utd is now a massive game and we should feel confident with them suddenly losing form so bring it on!!!!!

All our expectations are naturally high as a result of our great season.  So disappointment at 'only drawing' with Kilmarnock is a natural first reaction. However don't forget Killie have been playing really well recently and have beaten other top six sides..  They may surprise one or two others before the end of the season.  Even County who we also dropped points to seem to have found some form.  So there is no such thing as an easy game and we will have to concentrate hard for the rest of the season to maintain 3rd place and have a chance of Europe. 

I'm still confident that we can do it, barring significant injuries. So lets do our bit and get behind the team without calling for players to be dropped if they have one poorish game. We are still unbeaten this year!  Its in our hands. Believe!

• Agree 8

Not the worst point ever considering that St Johnstone did us a massive favour but we could gain some major ground on United on Tuesday in what has turned out to an even bigger game now for both sides than it was on Friday. Though Killie played well in the 1st half and were well worth going in level however we dominated most of the second half and can feel unlucky not to have won the game.  Killie are the best side in the league when it comes to goals from set pieces they had 9 goals from them before the match started and now can add another 2 to that total.

Christie was decent, looks like his extended break in side was worthwhile but Marley was poor and I thought Yogi was going sub for Ferguson him but instead Ross came off and we changed our shape. When we went 4-4-2 we didn't create much of note and Ferguson is quick but didn't make a real impact. Killie's Chris Johnston impress me today, similar type to Christie as he was easy on the eye and created chances. 

On Esson, agree that Brill comes straight back in for him whenever he's back. Felt he could have made himself bigger for first goal but obviously don't blame him for the actual conceding of the goal. Brill a more commanding keeper who is just better overall, will be very happy whenever he returns. 

Great strike by Williams, who made the Sky Sport News goal of the day list, one of the goals of the season for sure.  

(Sidenote- small minority of people who booed Shinnie after he scored bother me, doesn't seem right)

• Agree 1