Inverness CT - V - Kilmarnock Matchday Thread

TopSix

Exciting, yes, nerve-shredding, yes - especially towards the end as both teams lost their shape and resorted to schoolboy football. Either team could have scored again, so we might have lost and dropped 3 points rather than 2. But definitely frustrating too, to have lost the lead 3 times - and the soft nature of the goals we gave away.

Credit to Kilmarnock, they didn't look like a team that has struggled for most of the season, and always looked dangerous on the break and showed some quality. We started strongly and had several spells of good passing and generally decent performances. Over the 90 minutes I'd say we were the better side, but not by much. We had a couple of chances at 3-2 that if we'd sunk we'd have cruised home but it wasn't to be. I didn't see it as dull, certainly entertaining, but ultimately disappointing. I was emotionally exhausted by the end!

Roll on tomorrow night and hopefully can put together a strong performance against Utd...

• Agree 1

Do I feel robbed? No, we should have been able to defend a bit better. I do feel hard done by however.

The first Killie goal was as the result of a speculative shot that took a deflection. The defence didn't track back and left their striker one-on-one with Esson. The free kick that led to the second equaliser was a bit soft I felt, and followed a head shot on Nick Ross that should have been dealt with by the referee but wasn't Killie then got another lucky break when the ball came back off the post and hit Esson on the back and went in. The third came about from some sloppy attacking - that would be my main gripe with us today, we gave the ball away when we had them under pressure too many times - unfortunately we gave the ball away on the halfway line and they scored from the header.

Difficult to judge our first two goals as I was at the other end, but the third by Williams was a beauty. That nob Rob Maclean was spouting some pish about it being deflected - dream on no Killie player got near it, including the keeper.

And now we come to the waste of a skin that was the referee. WTF did Macgennis have to do to get booked? Every jump that he had no chance of winning was either a barge or an elbow into the defender (in fact all the Killie forwards were guilty of that). The last "challenge" that led to his final warning looked like a clear elbow into Warren. A yellow on its own at the least. That the treatment handed out to Nick Ross went unpunished was appalling. And why did he not need to use his vanishing spray for free kicks on the stand side, but did need to on the far side? His "I'm in charge" talk to Pascali when he was shoving Warren at the free kick they scored from was pointless, considering he then proceeded to do nothing. And what was the added time at the end of the match about? 1 minute which was taken up by the Killie defender rolling about after Meekings was booked.

And why was Pascali pulling his own player's shirt at a set piece in the second half? Clumsy attempt to con the ref?

It did take a deflection, though!

I've watched the highlight of that goal four or five times and am still not sure it did get a touch. In real time and from behind the goal it looked clean.

I also, initially, thought it was a clean strike and was perplexed when a couple of different match reports said that the strike 'took a deflection'. I also noted that IHEs player ratings mentioned the shot hit a Killie defender's head. I've looked back at the footage and it appears that there was the slightest of touches - although it was net-bound anyway! But it's almost imperceptible in real-time and slow-motion!

There was definitely some movement of the ball as it passed the defender but there wasn't any contact.  To me the obvious conclusion is that there was an invisible force emanating from the defender - some sort of magnetic field or anti-gravity!

There was definitely some movement of the ball as it passed the defender but there wasn't any contact.  To me the obvious conclusion is that there was an invisible force emanating from the defender - some sort of magnetic field or anti-gravity!

Surely only the likes of Bobby Mann or Mark Yardley possess enough of a gravitational pull to alter the course of a football. Now where's that old photo?