Shifty Ciftci

Alex MacLeod

I thought one of the ban games had to be in a cup??-------------- or is that what you mean by saying he is already out of the L cup? 

He was always suspended from the LC Final, a booking in the Semi Final took him over the limit.

It is not clear which two games the ban would relate to.

In Warren's case, it was the next two games (but that was a league game). When McCulloch was cited and banned, his two games were the next game in any competition, and the next Scottish Cup game.

In either case, this would mean Ciftci missing the two Celtic games after the LC Final - the first is a Cup game so if the ban had a Scottish Cup element that would cover that, meaning the Celtic league game would be the next game in any competition. As these are the next two games he is available for, those two games would be covered by the next two games outcome.

The current SFA disciplinary rules are difficult to fathom at times, and I can't find them published anywhere (they used to be on the SFA website, but I can't seem to find them). It would help if the published them for all to see, and so we would only need to speculate about whether the punishment will actually be, rather than how it will be served.

• Agree 1

He was always suspended from the LC Final, a booking in the Semi Final took him over the limit. It is not clear which two games the ban would relate to.

from BBC Website

"Dundee United's Nadir Ciftci is facing a two-match suspension after being accused of kicking Celtic's Scott Brown on the head during Sunday's 1-1 draw. The Turk was issued a notice of complaint by the Scottish FA compliance officer for violent conduct during the Scottish Cup quarter-final. Striker Ciftci has until Wednesday to respond to the complaint. He is already suspended for Sunday's Scottish League Cup final between the clubs. If he accepts the ban, Ciftci will also miss the Scottish Cup quarter-final replay against Celtic on 18 March, as well as the following league match against Celtic."

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/dundee-united-reject-suspension-offer-issued-to-nadir-ciftci-1.849734

''A club statement read: “Dundee United confirms that it has declined the fixed suspension offer in relation to the notice of complaint issued to Nadir Ciftci following an alleged breach of disciplinary rule 200 at the Dundee United v Celtic game on Sunday, 8th March 2015. Nadir will appear at Hampden to put his case on Thursday and the club will fully support him in this appeal.”

No surprise there then.

The second time in less than 2 weeks that TV evidence proves that Shifty committed assaults on opposing players and yet by declining the fixed suspension offer his club effectively deny it happened, again! They are unreal. 

I really hope they take this opportunity to punish him properly this time. He has flouted the rules and his club have supported or minimised his thuggery many times already this season .... thats not over-exuberance or a rush of blood ... that's a pattern of behaviour.

if there is any common sense at the SFA whatsoever then the punishment will be quite stiff and although they cant retrospectively adjust the previous judgments perhaps they can be harsher with this one to compensate. there is no place for this kind of behaviour in our game and I am thoroughly disgusted at both the player and his club for this whole situation. If he were at our club, I would have the same opinion!!!  

• Agree 1

Why am I not surprised?  But I actually think there is more of a case for appeal in this one.  I fail to see any dubiety or alternative explanation about the assault on Warren but I am sure Utd will argue that the movement of Ciftci's boot into Brown's head was  accidental and was simply part of the movement to get up off the ground as quickly as possible in order to keep up with the play.  TBH I think it might be difficult to prove intent in this case. 

It is interesting to see the clip because Ciftci makes himself scarce pretty quick and then, when play breaks down and the referee is aware there is a stramash going on, Ciftci is gesturing to the referee as if to say "Look ref, there's some trouble over there and it's got nothing to do with me!"  To my mind that speaks volumes about his intention.  If he had not intentionally kicked out at Brown and therefore been keen to draw attention away from himself, you can bet your bottom dollar he would have got involved in the mêlée involving Butcher and Van Dyke (but not Paton!).

• Agree 1

Normally I would have thought that refusal of the proffered punishment' if found guilty. would be a very much harsher punishment.

My fingers are crossed that this will be the case and they throw the book at him, also the Club should be fined for being an accessory to an obvious breach of the rules and encouraging acts of violence.

• Agree 1

Normally I would have thought that refusal of the proffered punishment' if found guilty. would be a very much harsher punishment.

My fingers are crossed that this will be the case and they throw the book at him, also the Club should be fined for being an accessory to an obvious breach of the rules and encouraging acts of violence.

I don't think you have a hope in h..l of that outcome.   Maybe I am cynical but I think a certain Club Chairman's megabucks may be involved somewhere, but, don't quote me and I name no names.  Umpteen appeals upheld ?  How many of ours have ever been upheld - even when genuine evidence - once again money talks.   Ciftci is a cheat, a thug and a disgrace to Scottish football and the sooner he goes back to Turkey, the better.

• Agree 3

Just a wee bit of "procedural" info....

• Compliance Officer makes any citations on behalf of the SFA.
  • Club decide to accept or reject.
  • Independent Panel is put in place to hear the case...panel does not include the Compliance Officer as he is the one who presents the evidence for the citation on behalf of the SFA.
  • Panel makes the decision and it's then passed back to the SFA to action accordingly.

Who makes up the panel seems to be a bit of mystery and there's a confidentiality rule that prevents anyone from naming them...!!  For all we know they picked 3 randoms off the street and they just so happened to all be United fans.

If you really want to torture yourself, here's the link to the Judicial Panel Protocols - http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/ScottishFAPublications2014-15/Judicial%20Panel%20Protocol%202014-15.pdf?page=2566

Congratualtions to all those of you who correctly indicated that the SFA review panel would not uphold Cifci's "conviction".

What is the point in all this nonsense? For me, the outcome should have been:

1. Cifci - guilty as charged

2. Van Dyke - guilty as charged

3. Paton - acquitted (mistaken identity)

4. Butcher - guilty of Paton's crime

5. Connelly - guilty of diving

6. (more questionable) - Brown guilty of a dangerous tackle

Only the decision on Paton was correct - FARCE!!!

The body language of Shifty's manager said it all........as guilty as sin but got away with it........he was laughing wryly all through the interview on STV tonight and he couldn't wait for the interview to finish.

Come on SFA how about fair play....or don't you know what that is.. 

Those clearly guilty of violent conduct as evidenced by TV footage have got off scot-free whilst the two who receive bans are one player who reacted to an unprovoked off the ball assault and one who was protecting his face from being hit by the ball.  It is not only these absurd outcomes that bring the SFA into disrepute, it is their secretive processes.  We are not allowed to know who is on these disciplinary panels nor are we allowed to know the reasoning behind the decisions.  This is despite the fact that their website states "as part of our new strategic plan, the disciplinary procedures were radically overhauled to provide greater efficiency, accountability and transparency. "  One wonders how the SFA could possibly be less accountable and less transparent than it currently is!

The website also states that the SFA's disciplinary procedures are "essential in protecting the integrity and reputation of the game at all levels. whilst also providing guidelines of acceptable behaviour for clubs."  We must, therefore conclude that the SFA consider it acceptable for players to push other players in the back into the path of their team mates, off the ball to elbow players in the back of the neck with sufficient force to knock them to the ground, and to kick opposing players in the head.  By their secrecy and their absurd decisions, it is the SFA who do more than anyone (even Nadir Ciftci) to sully the integrity and reputation of the game in Scotland.

Edited by DoofersDad
  • Agree 5