Motherwell -V- Inverness CT

hislopsoffsideagain

Well....i for one aint got ANY complaints about sitting in 3rd place in the league, going into March. i think its remarkable and i think Yogi should be handed the Manager of the year award right now!

• Agree 4

on looking back we still have an excellent opportunity because of a couple of factors.

Are we playing worse than United? - no we certainly not and although we failed to capitalise on this week we haven't played that badly and still look dangerous and hard to beat. Killie wasn't the best but we scored 3 goals, Dundee UTD we should have been out of sight before half time and then today we may not have had a great day but we got back into it and by the sounds were unlucky with the winner being deflected.

Dundee Utd need to win Severn more points than us. Both sides have to play Celtic, Aberdeen and each other twice before the end so certainly very tough for both sides to make lots of points. But if we stop united beating us with either a draw or a win then they cant gain and may fall further back. Their next game is away to Celtic in the league and we go to Partick after a little break so there is a good chance we could still increase the lead.

Football is an up and down game which is why we love it and although we have failed to capitalise this week I would still rather this scenario than be a Dundee Utd fan at the moment.   

• Agree 1

I'm sure we are all delighted to be at the sharp end, but the last few results have been mediocre to poor. The fact we have not been at our strongest is just a smokescreen, it's all about a whole season and once again we are found wanting. I'm all for having tinted glasses or happily clapping, but we need to dig deep and play a bit better.

Can't you see it is all part of yogi's strategy  :wink: Roll on the rest of the matches.

Looking forward to our away gang's opinions,

Incidentally BBC  :lol: count on shots on target......one someone said !  Typical two hit the woodwork worthy of goals and one cracker from Tansey just over, I'll watch them and the rest tonight on Alba highlights. i.e. if they are not edited out.

• Agree 1

Was at the game today and I felt that the first half was a non-event from our perspective. Our passing was not slick at all and very sloppy and slow. If we want to dominate next week then we need to pick up in the intensity especially in the first half.

Second half, they started well and there was no chance that Esson was getting anywhere near that bullet header from Laing. After we scored our equaliser, we sat back to try and defend the point but when they brought on Ainsworth we couldn't cope as Ainsworth is a very pacey player but I need to see the second goal as I think it took a wicked deflection.

In terms of Ofere's debut I thought he done well considering he was only brought to the club 24 hours before today's game. I felt he added a good bit of strength up front to hold the ball and interesting to see him drop very deep at times to defend but I could see the logic when defending set pieces because of his height. Anyways fair play to him getting a goal today and from today seems like a very welcomed addition but I agree with Yogi that he is a few weeks short of match fitness, once he is training with the lads and settled in the team, we could see a decent player on our hands.

Credit to Motherwell, despite being the 'Whipping boys' they put up a great performance today.

A must win game next week - very important to get to the next stage of cup!

• Agree 7

Probably the biggest factor in a poor overall performance today was players that have been pretty heroic all season apparently having off days. Draper's passing was very poor; Raven similarly so; Shinnie, in the first half at least, seemed very reluctant to take people on; and Christie's brain seemed to be working just a split second ahead of his feet, so that the ball didn't always follow him to where he wanted to go.

The opposition and conditions also played a significant part: Motherwell set up really well against us and stopped us getting into any sort of rhythm, a tactic that worked really well for Partick earlier in the season, and the pitch became increasingly heavy as the game went on, which made it difficult for us to establish any sort of fluency once we came into the game.

Apparently there has been some criticism of Ofere on social media. I don't see why. He worked hard, showed a decent first touch and tried to bring people into play, and considering he must know next to nothing about his teammates, I thought he did well. Could be a decent signing as we push, now, for what is a very realistic and achievable third place finish.     

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 6

Yes, sounds like Mr O'Fere  made his O'ferring really count. --a GOAL? :clapoverhead: What more could you ask of a Newbie on his Dewbie (oops! sorry.... debut)? Welcome to the club.

The teams that we assumed would either win, or at least not lose, today did the opposite. What a let0off for us

However, the outcomes suited ICT to the tee. We really didn't lose ground that much did we? But, from now on, we have to find  the way back to the rhythm of before otherwise the lack of it will condemn us to merely the blues.

Summer football would allow us to flourish, not flounder. Long overdue.      Let's start a "save the pitches " theme. Crowds would rise too.

Disappointed to lose today, although we didn't do enough to win.

We should have gone in ahead at half time but Williams couldn't take it round the keeper. Our defence appear to have turned into vampires in that they just can't deal with crosses.

Thought Ofere showed some promise, nice flick on to set Williams up at the end of the first half and held the ball up well. Having a target man will add a different dimension to our play.

Slightly nervous about next week as I'm not sure how our defence will deal with Nade

• Agree 1

I think that I am beginning to like Yogi as much as I hated Terry Butcher !! - at least his cover up bullshit actually comes across as being honest and genuine and was a roundabout way of saying "Sorry fans we fecked it up but are trying to sort it out". Kilt is pressed and ready to go.

• Agree 1

........continuation of what we saw on Tuesday in Dundee. Our ability to keep the ball and move it about at pace appears to have deserted us, albeit, as Maryhill suggests, in the face of two sides who have been up-and-at-us. Too many players having an off day methinks and the up-and-coming break could be timely. Initially not at all convinced by our new man up front but , as the game went on and on reflection, he did quite well. His was a difficult task, being parachuted into a team of guys he had never even heard of, let alone met and played with. His holding up and linking will be an asset. He won balls in the air. His post-hitting effort looked like a strange contact as it travelled throught he air in slow motion but he buried his goal. Do we get Marley back next week? Motherwells two goals should have been better defended. I left very disappointed. Mrs Naelifts ( bad omen) says " Thats it, never again".but she says that every year. I'll bet she wants to come when we draw St Lucia in Europe! We can't win every game and our recent run has outstripped any sane mans expectations. Still in third place by a margin.

So.......keep giving the effort lads.....you can never be accused of not doing that; believe in yourselves; we are where we are on merit.......

• Agree 2

Warren will not be available. His punishment is two first team matches and not two SPFL first team matches. http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/Disciplinary/CurrentSuspensions/Season2014/15/PlayerSuspensions/LOS32%20%2826%20FEB%29%20CW.pdf

After yesterdays game where are Devine, Draper and Tansey in totting up process

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Warren will not be available. His punishment is two first team matches and not two SPFL first team matches. http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/Disciplinary/CurrentSuspensions/Season2014/15/PlayerSuspensions/LOS32%20%2826%20FEB%29%20CW.pdf

After yesterdays game where are Devine, Draper and Tansey in totting up process

It was only Devine's first caution of the season so he's ok. Tansey's on 8 yellows, so still a wee bit off any danger but Draper has 10 now - he must be close! I think it's 6 bookings before a suspension, but I'm not sure if it's then 'another' 6 before the next one!

You're absolutely right about Warren missing the Raith game. I posted somewhere that he'd be suspended. I had looked at that SFA document last night and could swear it said 'Two SPFL games' for Warren - but I obviously misread it (or they subsequently have amended it!) and indeed it's 'Two First Team' matches.

So, yeah, he'll miss Raith, but be back for the following league game.

From STV Sport

Players receive a one-match suspension when they accumulate six yellow cards in league matches. A further game ban is applied for every six bookings thereafter, eg. two-game ban for 12, three-match suspension for 18.

Bans kick in 14 days after the sixth yellow is shown. Cautions are not added to the record if a player is shown two yellow cards in one game.

• Agree 1

^^Great find, Alex. A bit of clarity.

So we've nobody on the 'tightrope' but Drapes is two bookings away from a two match ban and Shinnie & Raven are also two cautions away from a suspension (although only for a one match ban).

Scottish Cup this weekend - Shinnie and Draper will miss the semi if they get booked - but obviously we must win for it to be relevant!

And, of course, a sending-off would mean that player missing out.