- 65% North Sea natural gas production

- 96.5% North Sea crude oil production

- 47% Open cast coal production

- 81% Coal reserves at sites not yet in production

- 62% Timber production (green tonnes)

- 46% Total forest area (hectares)

- 92% Hydro electric production

- 40% Wind, wave, solar production

- 60% Fish Landings (total by Scottish vessels)

- 55% Fish Landings (total from Scottish waters)

- 30% Beef herd (breeding stock)

- 20% Sheep herd (breeding flock)

- 9% Dairy herd

- 10% Pig herd

- 15% Cereal holdings (hectares)

- 20% potato holdings (hectares)

All with 8.3% of the population!

There are very few countries in the WORLD that rival Scotland's resources per head and in such rich diversity. We absolutely, unequivocally can be an extremely successful independent country.

And thats why the fear factor is rife in Westminster

You forgot to add 0.87% of the football broadcasting revenues. That will be making them REALLY worried :laugh:

I see Charles is still boring everyone by going around writing seperation a lot and not much else.

Seperation, seperation, seperation....scary word!! ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

In that case, how about learning to spell it properly?

I can't. It's too scary to spell it correctly, such a scary word. A bit like saying Beatlejuice three times, gives me nightmares the thought of it. Perhaps it is the same for you and the word independence, a word you are too scared to use.

• Agree 3

At the end of the day British General Elections are between the Red and the Blue. Between the two main parties over 25million people will vote. The rest between them will be lucky to top 4 million

Why should the 4 million tail wag the 25 million dog

So much for democracy

No, Laurence.....democracy according to Westminster rules is that, in a hung Parliament situation, the party which can cobble together a working majority arrangement with other parties gets to do the governing with the help of those parties. After all, it won't just be the SNP   tail, it will also be the Plaid tail, the Green tail and possibly the SDLP tail and maybe even the LibDem tail, if Labour is the party to manage to do the cobbling. A  Government truly representative of votes in the whole UK in fact .

Perhaps you would prefer that it was solely an English Parliament, with a Labour/Tory Coalition....after all, there isn't a lot of difference in policies...but that would not bode well for the future of the Union. Or nearly as bad, would you prefer a reprise of the last five years with a Tory/LibDem Coalition, maybe with the help of UKIP and the DUP.?

If you don't like the way Westminster style democracy works.....did you vote to change it at the AV referendum?  And if not, why not?

The thing all of them are saying is that the SNP are ONLY interested in independence and will stop and nothing including ruining the whole United Kingdom to get it. Several contributors to this thread are peddling that myth.

Right then so, adding in that one, the SNP manifesto, in summary, becomes roughly as follows: -

* "We actually quite like the English." At no time has SNP or its followers ever said they didn't like the English. We dont like the Westminster way of rule

* "NHS Scotland is safe in our hands." Yep. We're even able to build state of the art hospitals within our budget.

* "The oil is only a bonus." Oil price makes no odds to amount of revenue. Its company profit thats taxed in UK

* "We want to throw out all nukes and depend on a nuclear alliance to defend us." Have you ever seen the mess a nuke can make against on islamic terrorist with a rifle and sword

* "The crowdpleasing, giveaway policies we've suddenly claimed to espouse are not Marxist but just commendably "progressive". Nothing sudden, we've claimed it since day one

* "Even though we've banged on only about independence until the day before yesterday, it ain't all that important any more (honest)." We actually stopped banging on after september last year. Its everyone else thats doing it now.

• Agree 5

Oh well, at least Alex can sleep easy.

Islaamic State is the only threat to our security, a single Glasgow hospital opened yesterday means NHS Scotland is totally hunky dory, the SNP isn't packed with Anglophobes :laugh: , the current international consternation about the increasingly lengthy oil price slump is completely imaginary, the SNP no longer bang on about independence, the current outbreak of SNP neo-Marxism has nothing to do with conning the gullible.

Oh God I forgot......having 10% of the UK's pig herds means the Scottish economy is sorted for all time :amazed:

But on the other hand it must be hell of a worrying that all these little green men are about to descend from their space ships on to our flat earth :hiding02:

Oh well, at least Alex can sleep easy.

Islaamic State is the only threat to our security, a single Glasgow hospital opened yesterday means NHS Scotland is totally hunky dory, the SNP isn't packed with Anglophobes :laugh: , the current international consternation about the increasingly lengthy oil price slump is completely imaginary, the SNP no longer bang on about independence, the current outbreak of SNP neo-Marxism has nothing to do with conning the gullible.

Oh God I forgot......having 10% of the UK's pig herds means the Scottish economy is sorted for all time :amazed:

But on the other hand it must be hell of a worrying that all these little green men are about to descend from their space ships on to our flat earth :hiding02:

Views of Inverness in the recent and not so recent past aside, interesting as they are, do you ever have anything positive or constructive to say about anything ?

• Agree 4

At the end of the day British General Elections are between the Red and the Blue. Between the two main parties over 25million people will vote. The rest between them will be lucky to top 4 million

Why should the 4 million tail wag the 25 million dog

So much for democracy

Oddquine has addressed your above post more than adequately but, since you may well feel neglected if I don't, I will chip in.

Whilst your figures are way out as they usually are, you are right in that Labour and Tory, red and blue,will each have, by a good margin, more votes than any other party that is why either the leader of the Labour Party or the Conservative Party will get to be Prime Minister and go on  to form a government. According to the polls neither of them is likely to get much more than about a third of the popular vote and neither will be close to commanding a majority of seats.

Accordingly, one of them is going to have to form an alliance or alliances or at least seek the support of other parties who's MPs have been elected on an equally democratic basis just what is undemocratic about that ? Did you believe it was undemocratic in 2010 when the Lib Dems entered government thus locking out the Labour Party despite receiving less than half their popular vote ? If not, just what do you find so different and objectionable this time around ?

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2

SNP up to 54% in the latest IPSOS Mori poll , red tories doon to 20%.  :amazed:  :smile:

Mon the neo-Marxist, sassenach hating, Willie Bell loving, kiltie, hooching, shortbread munching, tail wagging the dog, Jimmy Shand/Calum Kennedy listening, irn bru swigging, bagpiping, Mein Banff reading, sweaty sock separatists!! :cheer01:

• Agree 2

SNP up to 54% in the latest IPSOS Mori poll , red tories doon to 20%.  :amazed:  :smile:

Mon the neo-Marxist, sassenach hating, Willie Bell loving, kiltie, hooching, shortbread munching, tail wagging the dog, Jimmy Shand/Calum Kennedy listening, irn bru swigging, bagpiping, Mein Banff reading, sweaty sock separatists!! :cheer01:

Good spelling...

More seriously, a caveat, these are just opinion polls and there is still a week to go during which project fear, which won the day at the referendum, will be ratcheted up more than a notch or two so no room for complacency.

Perhaps of even greater interest, I am no good with links, is the poll that shows that the First Minister's approval and trust ratings are far and away greater than every other party leader not just in Scotland but in each and every nation and region of the mainland United Kingdom.

Edited by Kingsmills

Good spelling...

More seriously, a caveat, these are just opinion polls and there is still a week to go during which project fear, which won the day at the referendum, will be ratcheted up more than a notch or two so no room for complacency.

Perhaps of even greater interest, I am no good with links, is the poll that shows that the First Minister's approval and trust ratings are far and away greater than every other party leader not just in Scotland but in each and every nation and region of the mainland United Kingdom.

Indeed, no room for complacency, though that poll did say that 80% were certain to vote, which is remarkable.

And yes, wee nasty sassenach hating Nicky is doing no bad for a small-minded separatist. :smile:

• Agree 1

Whatever the polls are doing in Scotland, what is remarkable at a UK level is how static the polls have been over the last 6 months.  There seems to have been a very gradual drift away from UKIP but the rest seem to be flat lining (in more ways than one, maybe).

I guess the reason for that is that no party or party leader has remotely inspired the voters in the way that has happened North of the border.  Cameron gives the impression that he just assumed the polls would increasingly move back his way when folk woke up to the prospect of red Ed in Downing Street and is now resorting to stupid gimmicks like his proposed law against further tax rises.  Miliband is trying his hardest to look Prime Ministerial but is failing dismally whilst also trying to pull more offers out of the hat.  Clegg meanwhile looks increasingly resigned to his party being all but wiped out despite some pretty decent achievents in the last Parliament keeping the Tories in check.  It looks as though it is between the Tories and Labour with voters voting for the one in order to keep the others out. 

I predict a slight shift towards the Tories and Lib Dems before polling day with UKIP polling a little better than the polls predict.

What aboot the English members of the SNP or those across the UK who would love to vote for the SNP--are they anglophobes too? :blink:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  As an Englishman living in Scotland for the last 40 years I have never encounted any

anglophobia nor do I sense any in the changing political climate.  That may, of course, be because I'm just such a nice person :blush:

But why do folk in the rest of the UK not have the opportunity to vote for the SNP?  We have it rammed down out throats that the SNP MPs will be working for improvements in the Westminster system and for progressive policies that will benefit folk throughout the UK.  So if the SNP have something positive to offer voters in the rest of the UK, why are they not giving voters elsewhere in the UK the opportunity to vote for it?  Voting for the SNP would surely be a good vehicle for those disilluisioned with the UK- wide parties and Westminster system to register a protest vote. 

• Agree 3

Tend to agree with DD. The biggest problem in Britian is that we've lost the left wing slant and the duopoly are so similar that folk havent a clue whats best. I also think the LibDems done themselves no favours by siding with Tories. They would have looked better had they formed a vote by vote partnership and didn't have ministers on the cabinet.

What aboot the English members of the SNP or those across the UK who would love to vote for the SNP--are they anglophobes too? :blink:

Dinnae fret too much about Charles. He's just a total wind up merchant who is more out of touch with whats good for us and whats working that Cameron is. One day he may wake up and produce some realistic counter arguements to the current debates.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  As an Englishman living in Scotland for the last 40 years I have never encounted any

anglophobia nor do I sense any in the changing political climate.  That may, of course, be because I'm just such a nice person :blush:

But why do folk in the rest of the UK not have the opportunity to vote for the SNP?  We have it rammed down out throats that the SNP MPs will be working for improvements in the Westminster system and for progressive policies that will benefit folk throughout the UK.  So if the SNP have something positive to offer voters in the rest of the UK, why are they not giving voters elsewhere in the UK the opportunity to vote for it?  Voting for the SNP would surely be a good vehicle for those disilluisioned with the UK- wide parties and Westminster system to register a protest vote. 

Up until the referendum we were the independence party. Since then I dont think Nicola's popularity south of the border could have been predicted. Could the SNP install candidates to seats outside Scotland? How would that go down with the other countries of UK? Would it not be along the lines of 'Oh fekk the Jocks and invading again but with ballot papers instead of bayonets'? As I said above the big problem is the majority in UK are disillusioned by lack of left wing arguements. SNP continue to peddle left of centre politics so popularity is up.