The General Election 2015 Thread

Oddquine

The SNP always strike me as the cuddly party

The Young teenager who has got fed up of living  with Mum and Dad's house rules

It has found that going out on a Saturday night is good fun

There is a cheery auntie who takes them out for tea and cakes, an old uncle who likes to make silly jokes.

The teenager really would like to get a flat, be independent. Mum and Dad  are not too keen on that

They get there spending money every week, don't really understand where it comes from, they expect presents at Christmas, but most of all they think they know best, and they want to fly the nest. Full knowing if things go wrong Mum and Dad will always be there

Congratulations on mastering the caps lock button. There are other formatting options and these include bold which you have left on. Keep practising and one day you will be able to make your patronising posts independently.

The Young teenager who has got fed up of living with Mum and Dad's house rules

There is a cheery auntie who takes them out for tea and cakes, an old uncle who likes to make silly jokes.

The teenager really would like to get a flat, be independent. Mum and Dad are not too keen on that

They get there spending money every week, don't really understand where it comes from, they expect presents at Christmas, but most of all they think they know best, and they want to fly the nest. Full knowing if things go wrong Mum and Dad will always be there

Poor analogy. I'd say the SNP were more like the 30 year old who knows it's past time to move out and start their own life but their parents won't let leave.

• Agree 1

There is a cheery auntie who takes them out for tea and cakes, an old uncle who likes to make silly jokes.

The teenager really would like to get a flat, be independent. Mum and Dad are not too keen on that

Poor analogy. I'd say the SNP were more like the 30 year old who knows it's past time to move out and start their own life but their parents won't let leave.

But he can't afford it  Needs to get an income

But he can't afford it Needs to get an income

He does, he's also been contributing more than his fair share to the mortgage and would like some of that to put down a deposit of his own.

Poor analogy. I'd say the SNP were more like the 30 year old who knows it's past time to move out and start their own life but their parents won't let leave. But he can't afford it Needs to get an income

He does, he's also been contributing more than his fair share to the mortgage and would like some of that to put down a deposit of his own.

Bankruptcy would be around the corner . You can, run on dreams.

• Agree 1

Poor analogy. I'd say the SNP were more like the 30 year old who knows it's past time to move out and start their own life but their parents won't let leave. But he can't afford it Needs to get an income

Bankruptcy would be around the corner . You can, run on dreams.

Seems that you are fiscally illiterate as well....

In other astonishing Labour Party related news, Ian Murray has beaten off all the opposition to be appointed shadow Scottish Secretary....

Off to the bookies to see if I can get odds against David Mundell for Scottish Secretary....

Edited by Kingsmills

The Labour Party post-election bash planned for the ICT Social Club on Saturday night was cancelled.

I wonder what the problem was? Maybe they couldn't get their hands on any Leonard Cohen records.

I guess they were clean out of bitter.  :smile:

Inverness's supply hasn't been replenished yet since the Gelluns used it all on Referendum night.

The Labour Party post-election bash planned for the ICT Social Club on Saturday night was cancelled.

I wonder what the problem was? Maybe they couldn't get their hands on any Leonard Cohen records.

I guess they were clean out of bitter. :smile:

Inverness's supply hasn't been replenished yet since the Gelluns used it all on Referendum night.

Not even a cheeky wee half pint with bitter undertones and an acidic aftertaste? :sad:

Edited by dougiedanger

Confession time, that pic isn't actually from Dingwall.  In fact it isn't even in Scotland, which should be fairly obvious to anyone who has cast their vote today given that this polling station doesn't have the obligatory SNP mob outside. What's that all about, why can't people be allowed to vote in peace?

Given that the police, presiding officers and various local authorities have all confirmed that there has not been a shred of evidence of intimidation anywhere in Scotland,perhaps you would confirm where you came by your 'information'.

I'm afraid that Salmond will find that it is a mouse that has roared not a lion when all these SNP MPs get to Westminster. 

If that proves to be the case then jibes similar to that aimed at Labour's 'feeble 50' far from sticking will simply highlight the SNPs core point. Scotland only gets the government it votes for and the influence over all aspects of policy that goes with that with Independence. 

Confession time, that pic isn't actually from Dingwall.  In fact it isn't even in Scotland, which should be fairly obvious to anyone who has cast their vote today given that this polling station doesn't have the obligatory SNP mob outside. What's that all about, why can't people be allowed to vote in peace?

Given that the police, presiding officers and various local authorities have all confirmed that there has not been a shred of evidence of intimidation anywhere in Scotland,perhaps you would confirm where you came by your 'information'.

A somewhat legalistic observation, if I may say, in an environment where, amid all the saltires that fly from cars with impunity, I would certainly never risk my insurance excess by flying a Union flag from mine.

I never said I saw anything that would require police intervention.  But at several polling stations there were groups of up to 6 people standing outside, in SNP regalia. Presumably they are there because they believe their presence can influence the vote, otherwise why bother?!  I know other parties do it (on a smaller scale) but would it not be preferable for all (including the poor activists) if there was a pact between all the parties to stop doing it altogether?

I never said I saw anything that would require police intervention.  But at several polling stations there were groups of up to 6 people standing outside, in SNP regalia. Presumably they are there because they believe their presence can influence the vote, otherwise why bother?!  I know other parties do it (on a smaller scale) but would it not be preferable for all (including the poor activists) if there was a pact between all the parties to stop doing it altogether?

It is legal. Highly regulated and has been a factor at elections for decades. Intimidation or attempted intimidation at polling stations is a criminal offence. I reiterate, not a single crime was committed or even reported. They are not permitted, by the way, to attempt to influence the vote. 

Other parties can't find enough people to stand at  polling stations any more, because if they could, they would be there,if only because there are people who arrive, polling card in hot little hand, who won't decide until they are faced with the options and have to make a decision. 

They are there partly to make sure that the agents of other parties are playing by the rules, and partly to be available if any undecided voter comes along and says "why should I vote for you?" (which has happened more than once, though I don't know if they did vote for us in the end), and to show that at least we think our candidate is worth electing to the extent we are prepared to freeze our bahookeys off to make the point.

Influence! Take her to the Tower!

What Neil Hay said was wholly unacceptable for someone seeking election to public office and the fact that others in other parties may have being saying worse makes it no better.

In my opinion he ought to have been suspended from the party even if, at this late stage, it left the SNP with no candidate in what is looking like a winnable constituency.

I see this twit Hay suffered an even greater punishment than the one you proposed: the ignominy of being the only SNP candidate in all of Scotland to finish behind Labour!

A somewhat legalistic observation, if I may say, in an environment where, amid all the saltires that fly from cars with impunity, I would certainly never risk my insurance excess by flying a Union flag from mine.

I think one of those clown cars would look like quite fetching with a Union flag on it.

It is legal. Highly regulated and has been a factor at elections for decades. Intimidation or attempted intimidation at polling stations is a criminal offence. I reiterate, not a single crime was committed or even reported. They are not permitted, by the way, to attempt to influence the vote. 

You cannot say with certainty that no crime was committed at any point. You might try to say that none was reported, but on the other hand an individual alleged to have been wearing "SNP regalia" :lol:  has been charged with assaulting the son of the Conservative candidate for Inverness in the city centre on the "Rentamob Saturday" of Sturgeon's visit. And there have certainly been other instances where criminal behaviour by SNP supporters was alleged but not reported.

People do not actually have to break the law to influence behaviour. A couple of large skinhead bouncers standing at the door of a night club are likely to deter patrons from misbehaving inside. Similarly a posse of party apparatchiks outside a polling station in what Yngwie delightfully calls "SNP regalia" might well be perceived as intimidating by some old lady who has hitherto voted Tory for her entire life.

Indeed on the subject of "SNP regalia", on the other side of the fence, Orange Walks largely keep within the letter of the law but are widely perceived as intimidating.

SNP supporters have spent decades converting aggressive practices which still remain inside the law into a fine art.

The party's problem now is that, following their recent populist policies, their subsequent large increase in membership will most certainly include a disproportionate number of knuckledraggers - even upper class ones like Piers Doughty-Brown :laugh: - who are going to put themselves about aggressively more and more.

Just ask the Germans.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

With the sound of SNP jackboots echoing through the land while terrified Unionists cower in their cellars clutching their terrified children to their breasts it is surely time for the UN to step in before the streets are awash with blood and there are genetically modified giant hedgehogs on every corner and it is too late....Perhaps you better write to the Press and Journal when you're at it.....