Scottish Cup 2015 - Semi-finals

Sneckboy

Sunday 12:15 it is. If Celtic fans can do early Sunday ko's for the majority of their league away fixtures, Including up North, then so can we for an away day in Glasge.

Celtic take maybe 3000 fans when they visit us but not all travel from Glasgow as large numbers come from "local" supporters clubs and places closer to Inverness. In addition, easier to get the number of buses from Glasgow than it is to get from Inverness. It is not therefore a like for like comparison and this is not a league game but a cup semi final.

• Agree 1

They have to do the very same thing the week before us, I guess we can't really moan when they have to do it nearly every second week. Let's just get on with it, we aren't going to have massive numbers draining all the supplies of busses in and around the highland area IMO. We struggled for the final but that was against Aberdeen who took down over 40,000 fans.

I'm probably a lone voice with this one but, albeit I understand the remit is to maximize revenue - and I guess our Board would take every penny on offer - but when it gets down to the semis I can't see the logic in automatically allowing the big club 75% of the ground. Both clubs arrive there on equal merit so the stands should be divided on that basis. 

Personally I'd prefer an absolutely crammed McDiarmid that would be genuinely 50/50 but I'm pushing myself even further out on a limb. 

:yellowcard:

I'm probably a lone voice with this one but, albeit I understand the remit is to maximize revenue - and I guess our Board would take every penny on offer - but when it gets down to the semis I can't see the logic in automatically allowing the big club 75% of the ground. Both clubs arrive there on equal merit so the stands should be divided on that basis. 

Personally I'd prefer an absolutely crammed McDiarmid that would be genuinely 50/50 but I'm pushing myself even further out on a limb. 

I tend to agree from a sporting merit point of view but, from a practical perspective, the extra revenue generated from the match against Celtic taking place in Glasgow means that our club which would, without the odd windfall, trade at a loss, is likely to break even again, or perhaps even turn a very modest profit, for the financial year.

Given that we all want full time football and a healthy club, the odd sporting injustice is a price we have to pay.

I tend to agree from a sporting merit point of view but, from a practical perspective, the extra revenue generated from the match against Celtic taking place in Glasgow means that our club which would, without the odd windfall, trade at a loss, is likely to break even again, or perhaps even turn a very modest profit, for the financial year.

Given that we all want full time football and a healthy club, the odd sporting injustice is a price we have to pay.

Agreed and it also allows all fans, from either side (whether regular attenders or not), can attend instead of fighting for tickets. I would imagine a smaller venue like St J would mean higher ticket prices?

I totally agree with you Wanderer but, as other s have said, the increased revenue available from a larger crowd will benefit the club more and helps sustain full time football. It will be interesting to see, especially if we win the semi if this results in increased gates for the final few league games.

The semi-finals every year are at Hampden except for last season where the stadium was being developed.  I'm not sure why everyone is whinging about this.  The only thing worth moaning about is the kick off time.  Any kick off time across the whole weekend would have been fine except before 1330 on a Sunday.  Can't understand why it kicks off then, we'll be arriving from Musselburgh on the day and It seems a hassle to get to hampden from their!  But then again who understands anything the SFA does at the moment.

• Agree 2

Suspect if you asked the players did they want Hampden or McDiarmid Park there would be few takers for the latter , just like there would be few takers if 2 smaller championship clubs were offered Birmingham instead of Wembley - that is what professional players are aiming for- a semi, or final, or both at the National Stadium.

I will be there along with 9,999 other I hope

I too am in agreement in most respects with you Wanderer but I cannot forsee  a 50/50 split ever being sanctioned by the powers that be. They would find some way of ensuring the ' big club' would get the lion's share of space allocated to them.

I would be really disappointed if the players thought that. It is a cup semi final so wherever it is played, I would expect them to be up for it.

The practice of playing both semi finals at Hampden, and for that matter Wembley is a fairly recent event and certainly a lot of fans in England are not happy at this. Think of how much more special it would be to plat at Hampden if you could only do so in the final.

Couldn't care less about the ticket allocation as long as we get a sufficient number AND a good location. If i recall correctly we were near the centre line v Dundee and stuck in a corner v Dunfermline. Give Celtic 40,000 tickets and it will make our victory all the sweeter.

• Agree 2

Hampden's where it should be and Hampden's where its gonna be. Are people really complaining about that? I only hope that we get some decent seats not just shoved away behind the goals 50 yards from the pitch.

Absolute idiocy that we're not the Saturday game though which would at least give a couple more public transport options.

• Agree 1

On a side note, when it comes to maximizing revenue, couldn't we go down the English League Cup semi route, i.e. 2 legs home and away? That's as neutral as you can get, and brings in more cash. A sell out Celtic Park, and a sell out TCS. Plus double the TV revenue. Just an idea!

• Agree 1

On a side note, when it comes to maximizing revenue, couldn't we go down the English League Cup semi route, i.e. 2 legs home and away? That's as neutral as you can get, and brings in more cash. A sell out Celtic Park, and a sell out TCS. Plus double the TV revenue. Just an idea!

Yeah but the FA cup doesn't follow that but used to be at neutral venues but changed to Wembley because of the debt in building it. Even then I think it was Wembley at the old ground and would be played at another ground if it went to a semi final replay which got scrapped   

No.  Part of the magic of the cup is the opportunity for the less fancied teams to make it to the final.  Upsets can happen on a one off game but very rarely on a 2 leg basis.

The converse of this is exactly the reason why matches in Europe at the knock out stage are in two legs.  It perpetuates the big teams getting to the latter stages and it's all about money.  Whilst the current arrangements are not without faults, it is at least  a structure that gives the underdogs a better chance of getting to the final.

• Agree 2

Yeah but the FA cup doesn't follow that but used to be at neutral venues but changed to Wembley because of the debt in building it. Even then I think it was Wembley at the old ground and would be played at another ground if it went to a semi final replay which got scrapped

In the old days, when the semis took place at 3 on a Saturday typically one was at Hampden, and the other at a different neutral venue.

The FA Cup was always at neutral venues that weren't Wembley (eg Liverpool v Forest @ Hillborough in 89). When Spurs and Arsenal were drawn together in the early 90s I think they were going to play it at Villa Park, but there was a big fuss and the game was moved to Wembley. Then there was another big fuss over the winner of that game having an advantage by playing at Wembley before the final. I can't remember if they moved the other semi that year, but after that the semis and finals were played at Wembley, or the Millenium Stadium while Wembley was being rebuilt.

No thanks. Reduces the chance of an upset.

Went to see Scotland play last night and was getting goosebumps at the thought of returning in 3 weeks time to see us there. For all its faults as a stadium it really has a special feel to it. Cant wait now!

It's a big game. it's Hampden. Bring it on!

Just a wee note to say that a pub/micro brewery on Cathcart Rd called Clockwork Brewery is taking bookings for coaches for before the game. I can't say I know anything about the place it has come to me second hand.

Just a wee note to say that a pub/micro brewery on Cathcart Rd called Clockwork Brewery is taking bookings for coaches for before the game. I can't say I know anything about the place it has come to me second hand.

tnx for the info. Ive noted it. Not sure there will be much time given the very early start but I will bring it up at the CJT board meeting tomorrow. Nice and local to Hampden tho....