Inverness CT -V- Raith Rovers

Scotty

We made heavy weather of it, but it's our name that's into the next round. Best on the park was the referee. The rest were mediocre. Danny Williams the pick of our players.

Agree with rigs statement above however I think raith deserve some credit for tonight. They had a game plan to thwart us and it almost worked they had 9 or 10 behind the ball most of the time and sometimes eleven the number of times we had to shoot from distance is testamount to them making us do so. Even when the ball was getting into the box there was very little space for us to use it well. We just seemed a bit slow in our build up which gave them time to get behind the ball if we had been a bit sharper it would have maybe opened up for us a bit. Agree totally with the negativity. There was a couple close to us who criticised the passing then when the ball was hoofed forward and came straight back they complained about that as well. They moaned the entire game, me I'm just delighted to get through yeah it would have been great to score a few goals but the main objective has been achieved Now it's time to start looking forward to a trip to Hampden.

PumpFake - sorry my point about the home crowd was the constant berating of the players offering next to no encouragement. The actual numbers there were better than I expected.

One other thing I noticed was the apparent lack of width in our play. Aside from Shinnie and Raven we barely used the flanks which seemed odd given the strength of Ofere in the air. Watkins and Williams played very narrowly throughout the match and seldom appeared on the wings.

PumpFake - sorry my point about the home crowd was the constant berating of the players offering next to no encouragement. The actual numbers there were better than I expected.

One other thing I noticed was the apparent lack of width in our play. Aside from Shinnie and Raven we barely used the flanks which seemed odd given the strength of Ofere in the air. Watkins and Williams played very narrowly throughout the match and seldom appeared on the wings.

As far as the BBC had it Rig we played a 4-4-2 diamond with watkins alongside Ofere which would explain the lack of width 

Good game to watch with Raith not really coming into it much until going a goal down and even then we snuffed out any attack they made.

Good composure and discipline from the team to pass the ball around safely when 1-0 up near the end,  which is far better than giving it away at one end and  letting them score at the other to force a replay.

Scottish cup semi-  Bring it on.

• Agree 1

We are through and had we taken our chances in the first half it would have been far more comfortable. Raith came here to get a draw and we created more chances for them than they did!

Thought Ofere was good in the air first half, can't recall us crossing one in for him in the second half though! I'd have liked to have seen Watkins on the wing putting in a few crosses, or Doran on for 10 mins before Ofere was taken off.

5 weeks until the Semi gives Ofere and Kink time to get fully fit - Hampden here we come!

Possible banana skin - should win game - Raith cup final and nothing to lose - pressure on Yogi and team as loss would have been highly criticised - anti climax to season - No injuries - No bookings - clean sheet - next round - trip to Hampden - second year in a row - nofeckinbadmun

• Agree 4

The 4-4-2 was quite effective, with width from Shinnie and Raven, who hugged the touchline throughout. The only problem with it is that Raven isn't quick enough to make an impact when he receives the ball so deep and we generally didn't get it to him quick enough to give him space. I would really like to see us playing 4-2-3-1, with Ofere up top and Doran and Watkins wide, Christie in behind. Christie didn't have his best last night.

"Job done" is about the best one can say for that.  Sticky pitch didn't help though. 

Ofere looked useful but needs more and better crosses.  Kink looks to have quick feet and promises to offer something quite different.  I look forward to seeing him play a but more.  Doran looked to have a desire to get on the ball and be more positive in his approach.  I would like to see him back in the starting line up.

In the post match interview Yogi said that he hoped success in the cup would help give us momentum in the league and went on to say that another 2 or 3 games should secure top six.  Perhaps someone could give him the good news that top six is already secured!

• Agree 1

Yes, the ref was as good as I've seem for a while at TCS. Didn't get over-excited and flash cards at every tackle. Mind you, it was a straightforward match to ref - no contentious decisions and very few fouls.

Torture to watch at times but we were clearly the better team.

Now we need the SFA to quickly confirm the date of our semi so I can book our hotel room in Glesca. Surely that can be done regardless of whether it's Sellick or the Arabs. 

Well I travelled up for this game and had a couple of pre-matchpintsin Innes. Not a soul there that I knew and only a half dozen in bar. Think they were preparing for a pool match. Anyway I thought we played some very good football but we were struggling against a very strong defence. Raith never looked like doing any more than defend. I think they had one corner and no real attack in the whole game. Ofere had a good game but wasn't allowed to really perform. My MoM was Ryan Christie. Yes he skyed a few chances be he also put a number of good crosses into the box and created a few half chances for others.

All in all Raith came here looking to stop us scoring in the hope of a replay in Kircaldy and they done a very good job of that for most of the game.

The semi will be a different kettle of fish regardless of who we're up against but I believe if we continue to play like can then a final is there for the taking.

• Agree 1

...interesting to read the posts from Raith supporters on P&B - they're raging at their negativity and pretty complimentary about our play. Most intersting of all is that stat that the teams that have put Raith out in the last few seasons have gone on to win the cup....here's hoping! :wink:

Published: 10/03/2015 21:32 - Updated: 10/03/2015 21:36

Devine intervention sees ICT march into last four

Written byNick Humphreys

Nick has to be commended on his journalistic abilities. Story published 21:32 and updated 21:36. By my watch the final whistle blew at 21:35

• Agree 1