Can you remember ?

Anyone fer tennis ?

Has Sneck ever produced a single decent tennis player? The weather is terrible for tennis. Ah mind playing up the Craig tennis courts in the summers, seemed like  a good idea but soon found out how sh*te it was when ye could only manage a 3 or 4 shot 'rally'.

Don't know why the asterisks are there it was a perfectly straight question and a legitimate word

One suspects this was therefore a reference to participants in the caber event!

There are one or two interesting features in that photo. The stands centre right could be for the weight over the bar or the pole vault or both. Events like this didn't bother about niceties like landing areas for the vault. The infield is also set out for 6 a side shinty. On the far right you can just see one of the said participants in the caber.

I'm a bit confused by the railings at the bottom of the photo which seem to be some height off the ground. There must also have been some enclosure at that end of the ground in these days.

It was in another photo of these Northern Meeting Games from around that period that I spotted a group of small local toffs which included the very young Lord Burton. I have to say that even then he looked like a miserable, twisted little b*****d :redcard:

There you go :smile: .... I've always wanted to say that about the despicable old sod but have had to wait until he's dead (although I could probably have successfully defended any defamtion action by simply pleading "veritas".)

You must have upset the old Lord Charles!  I had dealings with him when organizing training events on his land on both sides of Loch Ness for the Army Cadet Force and he was always most helpful.

Don't know why the asterisks are there it was a perfectly straight question and a legitimate word

There are one or two interesting features in that photo. The stands centre right could be for the weight over the bar or the pole vault or both. Events like this didn't bother about niceties like landing areas for the vault. The infield is also set out for 6 a side shinty. On the far right you can just see one of the said participants in the caber.

I'm a bit confused by the railings at the bottom of the photo which seem to be some height off the ground. There must also have been some enclosure at that end of the ground in these days.

It was in another photo of these Northern Meeting Games from around that period that I spotted a group of small local toffs which included the very young Lord Burton. I have to say that even then he looked like a miserable, twisted little b*****d :redcard:

There you go :smile: .... I've always wanted to say that about the despicable old sod but have had to wait until he's dead (although I could probably have successfully defended any defamtion action by simply pleading "veritas".)

One of the greatest, if trivial, pleasures of my late uncle's life, which he never tired of recounting, was finding himself standing next to the (ig)noble Lord Burton at a urinal and miss directing his stream. Fair to say it resulted in aristocratic outrage on one part and great mirth and satisfaction on the other.....

My inner pedant has failed to resist commenting that Lord Charles was a mannequin rather than a puppet....

Edited by Kingsmills

One of the greatest, if trivial, pleasures of my late uncle's life, which he never tired of recounting, was finding himself standing next to the (ig)noble Lord Burton at a urinal and miss directing his stream. Fair to say it resulted in aristocratic outrage on one part and great mirth and satisfaction on the other.....

My inner pedant has failed to resist commenting that Lord Charles was a mannequin rather than a puppet....

That's actually a better description since it means that no one pulled his strings!

The urinary anecdote represents a unique and privileged opportunity for your uncle. I can only think of a single more gratifying outcome but can't quite formulate the necessary configuration of toilet seats.

Have to commend you, Charles, on the extent of your English vocabulary but remember, dear lad, brevity is the soul of wit.

And that is why I am on here--like IHE- - to relax, to get Information and to josh and jostle -- to match the three R's" of the Academy.

So remember the poor old owl who could not get a girlfriend  and his friends called him  a twit.

But it wasn't him,  it was just the fact that he didn't have  twit to woo. :smile:

Close Kingsmills but on second thoughts I believe he was a  he was a ventriloquist's dummy.        :tuttut:

Which, unless like Shari Lewis's 'Lambchop' they are glove puppets, are mannequins.

Very close, but the dictionary states ventriloquist's dummy............a large doll called a dummy, used by a ventriloquist

I can recall ICT being run by muppets. But no more of that these days. Can you remember this ?

I'm having difficulty placing this one exactly. It seems to be on the Castle Street side of the castle... in fact is it simply the old library/ museum/ police station/ fire station being demolished. On the other hand the photo seems to predate that.

Reputed to be the old town hall ? But how many remember this shop and keeper ?

It may well indeed now you mention it. The current Town Hall dates from about 1880 so the old one would have been demolished in the late 1870s which would date the photo which looks as if was taken from what became "the front of Woolies".

The John MacDonald premises will therefore be at the bottom of Castle Wynd where Upper Bridge St now begins.

Initially I wasn't bargaining on a photo as early as that - largely on the basis of all these advertising bills which made me think more recently, but that's simply a wrong premise on my part.

As for the shop, I can't placethat or the shopkeeper at all. What I could guess is that it may date from the early 70s because the price tickets are in "new pence" so definitely not before 1971 but on the other hand the prices all look fairly modestly pre-inflation.

And the Italians took over

Interesting reference to the Italian runner (NO!.... resist temptation to revive old WW2 jokes :laugh: ) called Dorando.

The runner in question was Dorando Pietri whose career was a little earlier than the 1920s since his main claim to fame came in the 1908 Olympics in London. Dorando entered the stadium at the finish of the marathon (the first ever to be held over the now standard distance of 26 miles 385 yards) in the lead but in a state of exhaustion. When he collapsed he was helped to his feet by various people and eventually crossed the line first, only to be disqualified for illegal assistance. He did receive a number of consolation awards after this, but he is now probably more famous than he would haqve been if he had finished unassisted and won.