Can you remember ?

On 2/26/2017 at 9:05 AM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Came third with SS Craig Dunain one year. Commentary was by David Coleman "And Rossleighs are speeding smoothly down the Ness whilst you can see the Craig Dunain cox jerking at every stroke"

The Raft Race ..... great fun. but it was way more fun building and testing the raft for a few weeks in the canal than the actual day of the race !!! better get these posted before someone else does ! 

From Am Baile : HERE (1991)

JTHOMSON_BOX4_0135.jpg

The following year : (1992)

IMG_1738.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Kyle of Lochalsh.  1965.

Were policemen taller in those days or were the wee free just very wee?

Spot on DD were you there?  The police were taller then but you might be on to something on where the term 'Wee Free' came from :lol:

No I wasn't there, but the shape of the hills looks right for Kyle.  1965 was a guess as we came up to the West Coast for a family holiday in 65.  I would have been about the same size as the lad in the right of the picture at the time but I do remember waiting for over 3 hours at Stromeferry.  Later on when I moved up to Scotland I remember my father talking about that holiday and saying that before our holiday he had no idea how strong the influence of the church was regarding Sunday activities and that it had been a bit of a shock.  

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, DoofersDad said:

Were policemen taller in those days or were the wee free just very wee?

I'm absolutely sure they were taller then - and that some London cops aren't called "Metrognomes" :laugh: for nothing! I believe that for a while, Sutherland Constabulary had the greatest height requirement - I think it may have been 5 foot 10. Nowadays, I don't think there's any height requirement at all and there was one cop I used to see around Inverness in the recent past who was absolutely tiny - I mean round about 5 foot 3.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...