Can you remember ?

• 1 month later...

When I lived in Edinburgh in the early sixties I bought a stone -built house in Leith. One day, just as an experiment ,I lit some paper and also shoved it up the chimney thinking to give it a good clean out of all the soot. that had accumulated probably from 1850.

Then the whole chimney went up in flames and the roar nearly stifled the pounding of my heart. It's a good job that the house was so well built because there is no doubt that that fire was way out of control and I was  trembling as it died down. That was an experience that I have never forgotten.

East Restalrig Terrace was the location and I wonder if these homes are still standing.

We have had our share of forest fires completely out of control here in B.C., and Washington state just down the road from us in the U.S,  in the last two years as a result of the increasing global warming. And the devastation and power of these fires is daunting. They have huge water bombers dumping water on them day and night , scooped up from a nearby lakebut, no matter what they do, they just keep on growing  and consuming everything in their path.

I saw the results of the massive Kelowna fire a few years after the event  north of us here in British Columbia  several years ago and was astounded by its ferocity.If you were lucky you managed to see a chimney sticking out of the ground but nothing else,. No trees, no houses just an empty  moonscape for miles  ---very eerie.

6 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

How could you forget !!

image.jpg

Memories!!!! And a classic shot too with a man in the chair and Diggar nowhere to be seen! He would either be in the back shop or sorting someone's coupon or out on the street shouting amiable abuse at someone - often not of either of his own two "blue" persuasion. The "D and D" is, I think, Diggar and Dennis, after Diggar took "young" Dennis into the business, maybe mid-late 60s. However Dennis didn't fancy it and I think went and drove buses instead before returning. Note the advert for the next Caley game in the window.

• Agree 1

Yngwie and IBM:

Yes , thank you both----I did bring up the street, looking just the same as it did some 40+ years ago. Gosh but does the width of the street look small. That exterior cladding was sandstone I think ---- would look lovely with a careful power washing. But I have forgotten the house number so.....?

As  for Diggar. ....the barber in that shop before Diggar,  if it's the one on Greig Street right beside the bridge, was named Scott...everybody called him Scotty the barber. Another wag but a decent lad. Does anyone on here remember him.

One of this favorite sayings was  to tell you as a young lad when you walked in the door.. "Sorry, I'm not cutting hair any longer ." and as he looked at your dumb-founded face he would burst out laughing along with anyone else over 20 years old who was also in the shop. Oh, and one other thing--if it is the same shop then the chair was facing the mirror on the wall opposite the window which allowed you to look out on to Greig Street when he would turn you round.

11 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Yngwie and IBM:

Yes , thank you both----I did bring up the street, looking just the same as it did some 40+ years ago. Gosh but does the width of the street look small. That exterior cladding was sandstone I think ---- would look lovely with a careful power washing. But I have forgotten the house number so.....?

As  for Diggar. ....the barber in that shop before Diggar,  if it's the one on Greig Street right beside the bridge, was named Scott...everybody called him Scotty the barber. Another wag but a decent lad. Does anyone on here remember him.

One of this favorite sayings was  to tell you as a young lad when you walked in the door.. "Sorry, I'm not cutting hair any longer ." and as he looked at your dumb-founded face he would burst out laughing along with anyone else over 20 years old who was also in the shop. Oh, and one other thing--if it is the same shop then the chair was facing the mirror on the wall opposite the window which allowed you to look out on to Greig Street when he would turn you round.

Was there not another barber's in Grieg St, nearer the river? Might that have been Scotty's??

That depends on when Diggar started his the Greig Street location?

I was having my hair cut there from about 1947 to, say,1956 and I would have assumed that, with Scotty being seemingly in good health at these times,  he would have continued there for many more years.

His place was on the left side of Greig Street going down towards the bridge and maybe some ten to 15 yards away from the end of the pavement very close to the river. I don't remember any other barber at that location .?