Inverness CT -V- Dundee

Scotty

Dundee are probably the worst team we have played at home this season. So the fact that we have not put them to the sword is so disappointing. We laboured for so long today it was sending me to sleep. Most annoying was getting a free kick inside their half when we should have been attacking but then passing it all the way back to put our keeper to put him under pressure. How negative was that? I now fear we will be taken apart in or next 4 games to the point that our season will finish as a huge embarrassment.

I think we've faced sides at home this season that have been worse than Dundee. Dundee are a side that play very similarly to us and it was evident today. Whilst today wasn't the greatest of showing, it certainly wasn't that bad either.

Not at the game today but if Watkins is to play up front he needs a striker up there with him. Either that or he moves back to the Wing. Too many chances not taken in a lot of recent games. Only reason we are clear in 3rd is the collapse of United.

Yep, agree with most of what's been said here but very surprised no one seems to have brought up how much the pitch played such a detriment in how we didn't win today. I think its clear the players have absolutely no trust in it whatsoever. So many times today we would get round the back or down the flanks and when it was screaming for it to be played in first time constantly the boys were having to take a touch just to make sure they weren't going to swipe thin air. 

When teams like Dundee come and sit in and make no attempt to come out and play you've got to get it on the deck, 1-2's, down the flanks, try and open up the space for the forwards to exploit. On that pitch there's no chance of that. Even our usual faffing about at the back was never going to work on that surface. So many times the bobbles were killing us and seriously I wished after about 20 minutes we took Ross/Christie/Doran off (good players but on that pitch they're wasted) stuck Ofere up top with Watkins and just go route one. By-pass the pitch, get onto the knockdowns (Ofere so nearly scored late on after a long boot/flick on). Not pretty at all but I think you've got to accept sometimes when its just not happening for you and today the passing game was never going to transpire into anything effective.

I've no doubts that on a proper surface today would of been a guaranteed 3 points.

It's almost hilarious and depressing that the only team doing as bad in the league right now is Dundee United. 3rd place could of been wrapped up 2/3 games ago but even more annoyingly Aberdeen are only 8 points ahead and they've been rank rotten recently aswell. Even 1-2 wins from the last 5 would of put us in serious contention for second, never mind third. 

• Agree 1

Encouraging crowd today. Maybe the population of Inverness and district is beginning to wake up to the ICT feats .

Reviewing the text of the BBC commentary of the game, the stats at the end show ICT well ahead in the dominance department.

:clapoverhead: ?

Crowd was better today because of a decent number of away fans.  Poor home support but precious little for the locals to get excited about.  We were the better of 2 poor sides and had more attempts on goal but stats show that despite our supposed emphasis on possession, Dundee saw more of the ball than we did.

Good to see Doran play a full game.  It wasn't his greatest game but at least he looks to get forward and is not frightened to have a shot at goals.  I'd like to see Ofere play a full 90 minutes - Watkins is not a striker and Ofere looked far more likely to score in the brief period he was on the park.  Time to rest young Christie as well, I feel.  His work rate and appetite for the ball are 2nd to none but there is very little creative coming from him at the moment.  As other have said, Shinnie was the stand out player and he certainly answered those who said he would not give 100% for the team prior to leaving for Aberdeen.

• Agree 1

Guest Shaun

Jeez, where is all the positivity, think I will post a positive post :O.

A point at home to Dundee isn't bad imo as they are a decent side challenging for top 6 with a decent gaffer. Plus, United are in freefall and Accies are inconsistent which only leaves St J who we are 9-10pts ahead of so imo we WILL end 3rd even if we take nothing from next 2.

Our next 2 games aren't easy but are also not unwinnable, Dons only got a point at home to Partick (which they got booed off for) so can be beaten and then its Celtic who have played numerous games more than us and who we've already beaten once and run close the other time.

Keep believing :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

I agree, nice post TS, said it in two words 

And Brill back in goals for me too please, as he's fit and after all he is our no.1 goalie. I don't want Ryan to stay in goals until he makes a mistake and gets dropped, he's generally done a very good job but now time to step aside.

With the squad we've got at the moment, we should have beaten Dundee relatively easily. Doesn't bode well for the next two matches. I hope we can keep the score in the league match against celtic respectable to give ourselves any resemblance of a chance in the cup semi. If brill is fit to play, he should definitely be back in the side.

I'm in Jordan at the mo, and strangely happy with the point!

There's probably a bit of end of season look about us with all eyes on the Cup match, who wants to get injured or booked now?

I think there's also the issue of the size of our squad, where the quality peters out after the first 12 -13 players. Even Vincent does not get much of a look in these days.

The key for us for the final run in, is giving Celtic something to think about before the main match, without getting anyone sent off!

I hope we can keep the score in the league match against celtic respectable to give ourselves any resemblance of a chance in the cup semi. If brill is fit to play, he should definitely be back in the side.

Nah, mind tricks, let Celtic beat us 6 or 7 nil then they will go into the semi thinking we have collapsed and it will be a walk over then hit them hard and march to the final, beating them will only make them angry and want to hump us in the cup lol.

Game on Sat was just really flat, Shinnie was stand out and Nick Ross played well other than that I remember very little.

• Agree 2

All you guys who think Sat was flat were obviously not at Partick! That was a lot better honestly!

I think Dundee came up determined not to lose? The last few games have been v stuffy teams who have tried to stop us playing and it will be good to get back to playing teams who also want to play football. ie Dons and Celtic.

Not too despondant with the league table personally. A small squad like ours will always have a bit of inconsitency this time in the season.

Agree with the Watkins comments tho. He needs to go back to his own role. The experiment has run its course imho.

Does anyone think we'll ever see Richie Foran wearing an ICT shirt again?! He seems to have become almost a forgotten man after being out for what feels like an eternity.

Stat attack - Foran and Ryan Christie have never started together and played a total of only 66 minutes on the same pitch!

All you guys who think Sat was flat were obviously not at Partick! That was a lot better honestly!

While that was miles better than the Partick game (no three centre backs again please) the crowd was pretty subdued.

After having time to reflect over the tactics at Partick, I don't think the issue was the three centre backs, it was more the fact that the tactic wasn't executed well. I felt that game we were solid defensively but our attacking fell short because we played Shinnie and Raven as 'wingbacks' and with Danny Williams and Ryan Christie often moving out to the wings making a clash IMO.

For the tactic to work it should have seen a replication of Louis Van Gaal's 5-2-1-2 and I think we could do well with it when executed well. Josh Meekings sending a long ball up to Watkins who knocks it onto Ofere, could give the team another dimension.

In terms of the tactics used last Saturday. We went back to basics which at home especially is needed but where I think we failed was how quickly we moved the ball, granted the pitch may not have helped but we certainly picked up the pace after Dundee scored.

• Agree 1

Some very negative posts on here. On paper, we should beat Dundee but we don't play games on paper. On their day, just about every team is capable of beating each other and we have been very close to getting 3 points in a few of the drawn matches but are carrying very little luck at present. Agree with the poster that the quality is not really there in depth but if we can get something from the next two games, I would be confident we can get at least third place. What does worry me slightly is I don't think Yogi is totally sure of his best team and that could be an issue

Nah, mind tricks, let Celtic beat us 6 or 7 nil then they will go into the semi thinking we have collapsed and it will be a walk over then hit them hard and march to the final, beating them will only make them angry and want to hump us in the cup lol.

I think Dundee Utd have already tried that :lol:

I don't think it's just this last game that people are cheesed off about, but 1 win in our last 7 games is no much fun. Only Hamilton have achieved less than us. Swap ourselves for Counties run over the last seven games and we would be 15 points better off. I know that's not really an equation that is fool proof, but it's a massive points difference and one which would see us challenging Celtic and not trying to fend off equally faltering sides around us. It's getting to the stage where it's difficult to see where our next win is going to come from.

I hope our fortunes change soon, if not then a few teams will be knocking on the Euro door.

• Agree 1