Yogi gets Deila vote

bdu98196

From BBC site

Celtic's Ronny Deila says he voted for Inverness Caledonian Thistle's John Hughes as Scotland's manager of the year because of the style of play he has encouraged. (Daily Record, print edition)

Good to hear JH getting some recognition from his peers for what he is trying to introduce which is a bit of a deviation from the traditional Scottish style of play.

• Agree 1

Through-out the season you will Deila has been praising the way we play and hughes for our success. He also said a wee while back we were one of the only teams he actually fears, so since you can't vote for yourself i fully expected him to have voted for JH 

Finishing second with Aberdeen isn't much of an achievement given their resources. With their wage budget they pretty much have the pick of any SPFL players who are out of contract, and can even afford to drop a £300,000 transfer fee on a Saint Mirren player. The 'revival' under Derek Mcinnes is more of a reflection on the utter ineptitude of his predecessors than anything he's done. They are a decent team but hardly play great football, and certainly can't be described as 'punching above their weight' in any true sense. I applaud him for clearing out all the duds, signing better players and bringing the crowds back, but anything else would have been failure.

The fact that he's such an arrogant, abrasive pr1ck certainly doesn't help his case either.

I had my doubts about Yogi in his first season, but he's won me over. He hasn't had the budget to sign star players, rather he's worked with the squad he inherited and improved them as footballers. That's good management. I think the 'Butcher hoofball vs Yogi passing' comparison is hugely exaggerated. We played a lot of good passing football under Butcher, and also have our fair share of hoof-fests under Yogi, even to this day. But overall, I think there has been an improvement in our style of play. Let's hope the current malaise is just a blip!

Edited by AlexJones

There are two 'Manager of the Year' awards - the PFA (voted for by the professionals) and the SFWA (voted for by the journalists).

As the Celtic boss has already indicated he's voted for Hughes, hopefully the votes were cast a few weeks ago before our 'slump' in form! - keeping Yogi in with a chance...

Neither award must necessarily go to a Premiership manager, but they nearly always are - although, I wouldn't be surprised if the SFWA award went to Gordon Strachan, which is a legitimate option. The national team manager has been picked once before (Andy Roxburgh) in 1989/90, after guiding Scotland to the Italia '90 World Cup.

But, it would be no surprise if Ronny Deila won one or both. Derek McIness took both last season, so he may not get the 'nod' this year - but there's always the possibility of a 'left field' winner like Paul Hartley or even Alan Stubbs!

Maybe we do have a chance in the Semi Final.  Because if Deila is saying that he obviously hasn't had us watched in the last 2 months.  Maybe we could spring a surprise with our new highly congested midfield and no forward pass tactics.

We're really starting to miss wee Billy. Priority in the transfer market this summer me thinks. Hopefully we can get into Europe and provide a draw for players of good calibre to move up. European football might mean having a poor season next term, as opus often the case with early season starts for many spfl teams. But its the aim so we have to go for it.