Inverness CT -V- Celtic

Scotty

Deano's injury overshadowed an excellent result. He looked in some pain. Perhaps a bit harsh but I thought the paramedics were a bit slow getting to him, plodding onto the pitch like they were having a Sunday stroll. A dislocated knee usually puts a player on the shelf for 6 months, so the big man's season is over. In consolation, Esson came on and kept a clean sheet. Hope he goes on and takes up the mantle with both hands (no pun intended).

The performance was a mixed bag. Defensively the whole back 4 (and Esson) were excellent. Draper broke up play well. Our midfield and front 2 also pressed well and did a lot of defensive covering. Going forward we didn't put too many good moves together. Shinnie looked our biggest threat with his surging runs. Ofere had a very impressive first hour, he harried and pressed, held the ball up brilliantly and picked out a good pass most of the time. He was also a threat in the air, even against Celtics mammoth centre halves. After that he started to fade. He surely must start next week.

As the second half went on, we started sitting deeper and deeper, giving Celtic space and time to build moves, and had to resort to hoofball. Real backs to the wall stuff. Sometimes you have to play ugly to get a result. I know I wasn't alone in the stands feeling relieved when the ball was played long, rather than a short hospital pass along the back.

Thought the referee had a poor game today. Some of the yellow cards he dished out were absolutely bonkers. It's a minor miracle that both teams finished the game with 11 men.

• Agree 4

Ofere tired towards the end but getting 90 minutes under his belt will do him a lot of good. He caused Celtic problems with his strength, and you can't complain with two goals from two starts. Deserves to start in the semi final. 

It's great to go into next week with a bit more optimism, especially considering that today, despite our excellent work rate and defending, I don't think we actually think we played that well. The passing could have been better and we didn't work the keeper much. The dynamics of the game next week will be much different. We'll be playing on a big pitch so it will be harder to get in their faces, but if we break quickly it could work in our favour.

Buzzing for round 2, let's make it two finals in successive seasons!

• Agree 1

More than happy to admit I got this one wrong but have to say playing with a centre forward was a big plus today and Eddies first touch is excellent and he brought players into the game well. Some saying he faded after 60 mins but the fact the wind hemmed us back made his job very hard. I now travel south to the semi-final with some expectation to go with my hope.

• Agree 1

Great result - good to see the right selection paying dividends. Shame that DU won, but our future is in our own hands! Celtic won't take us lightly next week. Really bad luck for Deano - hope it isn't career threatening. Such a shame that he'll not be at Hampden, but Esson has not let us down.

Oh and on today's referee. That made Gollum look world class. Scott Brown was getting away with murder and Drapes was being targeted by their players and respect to him for keeping his cool. One thing I didn't like was a blatant dive by Ryan Christie. I know other teams do it but I don't want ICT to become a Divedee United.

• Agree 1

So that's four points we have taken from Celtic this season, which is four more than the challengers elect have managed.

The next time the sheep apologists start bleating on about their title challenge, they would do well to remember if it wasn't for the likes of ourselves, Dundee Utd and Hamilton, then they'd need a telescope to see Celtic.

• Agree 2

For a supposed top ref Thompson was shocking, totally useless, a lot of the tackles were never cards, if he used some sense and talked to players instead of flashing cards he would get a bit of respect.

Anyway, a far better performance by the team, good to see Yogi have a wee bit sense and change the team, bit more composure and we might have sneaked a goal near the end.

Thought the players did very well but I'm a bit concerned with Ryan Christie, he's def gone off the boil lately, made a lot of poor passes today and at times ran about like a headless chicken, maybe needs a rest or a spell on the bench to get his head back together.

Edited by caley100
  • Agree 1

Well Yogi said it all, he summed up all i was going to say. The excellent first half,the quick equaliser, bossing Celtic,the effort Ofere put into the game. A really good first half performance that made Celtic look tired.

Second half, Yogi right again the belief leaked out of our performance we fell back far too much and too often. Had we pressed up more Ofere would have been less tired and i feel he may well have scored again. Certainly the Celtic backs did not like being up against him, he put in a great shift.

A very biased referee but I will give him some credit for booking the biggest cheat in Scottish football for diving, that was a highlight for me, mind you at one point I thought I was at a swimming gala watching Griffiths and Mackay Steven getting away with a diving exhibition around our penalty area.

Again an enjoyable match but it seems like every time I go to the Stadium it is the same final score.

Final words a very big well done to Ryan Esson he played a blinder today, in the right spot every time.. good game Ryan.

Best wishes to Brill for a speedy recovery he looked in a great deal of pain and yes it was shameful the way the medics ambled across the pitch to attend to him I and those around me just could not believe the lethargic approach to him.

• Agree 1

A great boost for next week, we have a good chance. Celtic will be without GMS and Armstrong I believe? Probably Commons will start. Can't get over how card happy one of our so called top refs was. Shinnie MOM, again, he will be a huge miss.

• Agree 1

I thought the football flowed like a fine wine even in the strong wind.

Every player  matched their man well and it fills me full of hope for next weekend. 

I felt Yogi was a bit critical of the team after the match,(BBC Scotland) a valuable point and our positive goal difference unaffected against a wealthy team on such good form, If he was  critical then I'm sure he's seen the team play far better than that in training which is great news.

Looking forward to our Hampden roar next Sunday.

Hope you all make the semi.

Edited by 12th Man

Really bad news regarding Deano.  Can't remember who made the back pass to him but it was played quite deliberately to his left as though he still thought Esson was in goals.  Good to see Esson have a good game when he came on in those difficult circumstances.

I was very pleased to see a more positive approach to the game and a greater belief in the 2nd half might have seen us get all three points.  However, any points against Celtic are points I will always be happy with.

Ofere took his goal calmly and seems to have a good first touch and distribution.  I don't know whether it was the wind playing tricks but he did seem rather more concerned about where the defenders were than challenging for the ball at times.  We certainly seemed a more balanced and threatening attacking force with him up front and he surely must start next Sunday.

Thought Christie's work rate was top class.  He put a lot of pressure on the Celtic midfield and was a major factor in them being less fluid than sometimes.  But he is also frustrating that when he has the ball his distribution is often so poor.

As for the ref, I would echo the sentiments of others.  Mind you, I was talking to a Celtic boy after the game and he was moaning about the referee as well saying that the referee cost them the game! 

Guest Shaun

If we play that way for rest of season we WILL end 3rd comfortably with games to spare.

As for United, they won yes but it was against a team TWELVE without a win, even St M could probably beat them at the moment so United fans won't be getting carried away thats for sure!

Yep, BRING ON SEMI :ictscarf:.

I am waiting to see what "other tactic" is used next week (he seemed to hint that in his Sky after match interview).

Europe edging closer now :-)

Felt absolutely gutted for Brill. Only 15 minutes into his first game back and then stretchered off again. Very sad and he must be feeling terrible about it. Any guesses as to how long he will be out for? Can only hope it doesn't harm is career as he is such a great player for us

Guest Shaun

Gary Mackay-Steven has been tweeting or messaging Dean, feeling bad about Dean's injury (its on Dean Brill's twitter account) but Dean saying that Gary not at fault so its good to see Gary feel bad about a challenge that he was not at fault for.

Heard either on here or Twitter that its 6mths out for Dean :-(.

In Esson we trust.

Gary Mackay-Steven has been tweeting or messaging Dean, feeling bad about Dean's injury (its on Dean Brill's twitter account) but Dean saying that Gary not at fault so its good to see Gary feel bad about a challenge that he was not at fault for.

Heard either on here or Twitter that its 6mths out for Dean :-(.

In Esson we trust.

Gutted for Brill, but was pleased to see Mackay-Steven checking and re-checking on him during the stoppage, the stretchering off, and apparently later too. He was not at fault, it was one of those things, but not all players would show as much concern or empathy. Fair play to the lad ... and best wishes to Deano for a quick recovery. 

Managed to watch the game on TV today and thought we could have snatched it. Actually felt disappointed with just a point. Referee was absolutely terrible for both sides ... it was not a 7 yellow card game. 

• Agree 3

Great to be able to watch the whole match down here tghanks to Sky.....in many respects a great result

Brill very unfortunate, and not Mackay-Smiths fault at all, he had every right to go for the ball, and barely touched him, I think his knee jarred in the turf, but credit to M-S that he showed so much concern....Esson looked pretty safe, bar a nearly fluffed clearance, he made two or three good saves.

Ofere was excellent in his physical presence and ball control, if a little slow and tired later.....I felt he he had been playing more regularly one or two of our players would have got closer to him to pick up knock-ons/passes.....also Christie played a couple of through balls in to space for him, that he was never going to get, ball to feet will be the better option. However the Celtic CB's certainly knew they had been in a game, which bodes well for next week.

Largely very impressed with Christie, he did so much closing down to help keep Cetic under pressure and allow others to close down their man....one of our best options

Watkins a bit quiet but he was doing alot of defensive work...I wamt him to peak next week not this!

Although Celtic were dominant for periods, there were good sections of play for Caley too.

Some nice stuff from Tansey and Shinnie especially, and our CB's weren't over-run

Overall a solid game for Caley, a well earned point, and we avoided what Celtic did to Dundee U before their cup matches, which was morale damage along with getting suspensions

Can't wait for next week!

Great result for Palace as well, so I have had a great weekend football-wise

• Agree 2

Great to be able to watch the whole match down here tghanks to Sky.....in many respects a great result

Brill very unfortunate, and not Mackay-Smiths fault at all, he had every right to go for the ball, and barely touched him, I think his knee jarred in the turf, but credit to M-S that he showed so much concern....Esson looked pretty safe, bar a nearly fluffed clearance, he made two or three good saves.

Ofere was excellent in his physical presence and ball control, if a little slow and tired later.....I felt he he had been playing more regularly one or two of our players would have got closer to him to pick up knock-ons/passes.....also Christie played a couple of through balls in to space for him, that he was never going to get, ball to feet will be the better option. However the Celtic CB's certainly knew they had been in a game, which bodes well for next week.

Largely very impressed with Christie, he did so much closing down to help keep Cetic under pressure and allow others to close down their man....one of our best options

Watkins a bit quiet but he was doing alot of defensive work...I wamt him to peak next week not this!

Although Celtic were dominant for periods, there were good sections of play for Caley too.

Some nice stuff from Tansey and Shinnie especially, and our CB's weren't over-run

Overall a solid game for Caley, a well earned point, and we avoided what Celtic did to Dundee U before their cup matches, which was morale damage along with getting suspensions

Can't wait for next week!

Great result for Palace as well, so I have had a great weekend football-wise

Good to hear a summing up from how it appeared on telly. I would that I think Esson is improving with game-time ... He had an excellent tip-over late at Pittodrie late on. We can go into next Sunday with confidence. Fingers crossed for brave, strong, impartial, competent refereeing - that is my remaining concern.

Watching back SKYs coverage of the game - another Christie who performed well yesterday was Charlie, in the studio! He comes across very well and 'talks us up' - for example, when the presenter, slightly patronisingly suggested that next week would be 'a great day out' for ICT. Would he have used that expression if it was Dundee United or Aberdeen or even Hearts or Hibs? Maybe my hangover's making me overly sensitive, this morning!

Was odd to see Hughes' downbeat demeanour in his post-match interview - "we're better than that" - but it's likely he'd literally just been informed of the severity of Brill's injury and was naturally disappointed and frustrated.

Big occasion for young Cammy Mackay - probably best avoid playing him in the Development League game tomorrow - ironically against Celtic....bubble-wrap for Esson, too, this week!

Edit: It's Steven McLean refereeing our game on Sunday.

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 3