Request for Help to save Football Badges

stevee72

Forgive the intrusion, my name is Stephen i am a member of the Airdrie Supporters Trust. You may have heard how we can no longer use our club badge after this season, our badge is not alone in its supposed illegality we believe that many others including your own may be at risk. I ask if you could spare a few minutes to read about this issue here http://www.airdrietrust.com/savethebadge.html
and sign our petition at the bottom of the page, your help would be greatly appreciated and may stop you suffering the same fate as we are currently experiencing.

Thank You.

• Agree 1

Are you telling me that Airdrie fans are scared of taking on this mob?

http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/215.180.html

But seriously, these heraldic laws seem pretty ridiculous in the 21st century. As soon as I've finished my falconry I'll get one of my attendants to petition the Lord High Constable.

I am told that there was an article in last week's Highland News that was highly scathing of the Lord Lyon Pantomime and supportive of Airdrie. :wink:

Quite honestly, publicly funded nonsense like this in what is meant to be a modern democracy is absurd.

The article concluded with the suggestion that the said Lyon King should pull on his fancy gear (which makes him look like a walking advert for Irish Lager and the local zoo) and take a walk down the main street in Airdrie to expalin his problem to the local punters. :lol:

This now means that  all football clubs whose emblems include letters inside a shield will have to run scared of this circus clown.

• Agree 1

My biggest disappointment in all of this is that it doesn't affect ICTFC and we're not being forced to revise our badge :lol:

I don't dislike our badge, it's just that the asymmetry of it makes it a feckin nightmare to work with.

• Agree 2

I have once again been unsuccessful in reproducing a photo on this forum. (How on earth IHE does it, goodness knows, but PLEASE no one send me a message beginning "you just have to click on...." :sad: )

Anyway, I would still suggest that someone more teckysavvy than I am should post a photo of the comedian responsible for this nonsense. It would provide a timely reminder of where our money is going at a time when our schools are crumbling and our hospitals are struggling.

I genuinely would have dismissed this an April Fool type 'wind up'. It simply beggars belief. I had no idea about this. Looking at the internet, it seems that the most recent 'victims' were Highland League club Formartine United, who had to alter their crest in 2012.

Before - After

post-3020-0-24989700-1429197329.jpg

Edited by Sneckboy

I genuinely would have dismissed this an April Fool type 'wind up'. It simply beggars belief. I had no idea about this. Looking at the internet, it seems that the most recent 'victims' were Highland League club Formartine United, who had to alter their crest in 2012.

Before - After

attachicon.gifcrest.jpg

The story actually broke late March in the Daily Record. They should have sat on it and run it on April 1st to see how many people actually thought that it was an April Fool.

The Record actually followed it up with an April Fool story on the same topic, saying that Airdrie fans with tattoos of the club crest would be forced to remove them! Trouble is, it wasn't much more ridiculous than the original story.

• Agree 1

They probably think they're being terribly progressive by having a woman in their ranks. One does have to wonder how much public money is being wasted on antiquated nonsense like this.

Or, this being 2015, whatever you think of the system, perhaps she is there on merit. Who knows, we might even have a woman as First Minister one day...

They probably think they're being terribly progressive by having a woman in their ranks. One does have to wonder how much public money is being wasted on antiquated nonsense like this.

Or, this being 2015, whatever you think of the system, perhaps she is there on merit. Who knows, we might even have a woman as First Minister one day...

I'm not sure if you quite twigged where I was coming from and if so, it's always a bit of a bummer to have to explain irony. The point was that this Lyon nonsense is so utterly medieval that in the minds of the fossils involved, having the token woman there probably seems utterly revolutionary. That she is there on merit doesn't therefore come into it and in any case I'm not sure what merit is actually required to play a game of Lancelot and Galahad with football club badges.

My biggest disappointment in all of this is that it doesn't affect ICTFC and we're not being forced to revise our badge :lol:

I don't dislike our badge, it's just that the asymmetry of it makes it a feckin nightmare to work with.

Far more left wing than the Labour Party.

Edited by ilpadrino
  • Agree 1

That depends on how Lyon views the thistle.

What constitutes an heraldic device?

There is no explicit guidance on this from the office of the Lord Lyon. Where certain elements are enclosed in a shield and used by an entity as a statement of its identity, then that is likely to be deemed an heraldic device. Symbols such as lions, thistles and saltires are particularly likely to attract attention. Confusingly, a shield does not necessarily have to be “shield shaped”. It can be circular, square, diamond shaped etc.

He could decide that the roots of the thistle are being hidden by the lettering scrolls

Does all his mean the badge of my boyhood team is in Jepody   Bury Football club

Background

Bury%201892-93-300px.jpgToday Bury are a modest club, struggling to survive in the Manchester metropolitan area against competition from big city clubs but once they were among the aristocrats of Lancashire football. Formed in 1885 at a public meeting in the White Horse Hotel in the centre of the town, the club rose to local prominence very quickly.

Passed over when the Football League was formed, Bury became founder members of the Lancashire League in 1889. Before a Lancashire Senior Cup match against Everton, the club chairman JT Ingham announced, "We'll give 'em a shakin'. In fact, we are the Shakers." This has remained the club's nickname to this day. They started out wearing chocolate and light blue shirts but in 1888, plain white shirts were adopted. A team photograph taken in 1889 reveals that a crest-1888.gifcrest was worn, apparently a version of the town's coat of arms.

In 1894 Bury successfully applied for a place in the expanded Football League Second Division. After winning all 15 of their home games, they won a test match against Liverpool, who had finished bottom of Division One, to secure promotion in their first season in the League. In 1900 the Shakers won the FA Cup, beating Southern League Southampton 4-0 at Crystal Palace. In 1903, they won the cup again, beating Derby crest-1903.gifCounty by 6-0, still a record score for a final. In 1912, Bury were relegated and spent the next 12 years in Division Two. Immediately after the First World War, the club was unable to get hold of their traditional white shirts so turned out in red and white hoops for a couple of seasons. Promoted in 1924, they remained for five seasons in Division One, finishing in in fourth place in 1926, before dropping back into the Second Division and crest-1952.gifthey have never returned to the top flight since. For the next twenty-six years, the Shakers stayed in Division Two, generally in or below mid-table.

The town crest appeared again between 1952 crest-1957.gifand 1955 against a shield.

In 1957 Bury were relegated to Division Three (North) where they played for a single season. The crest reappeared the following season, now without a shield, and was used for the next ten years.

When the regional divisions were scrapped in 1958, the club were placed in the new national Division Three. In 1961, Bury were promoted as champions and remained in the Second division for the next six years. With more clubs now promoted and relegated each crest-1973.gifseason, Bury went up and down with bewildering crest-1974.giffrequency. Relegated to Division Three in 1967, they were back after only one season only to suffer relegation again immediately and in 1971 they dropped into the Fourth Division.

Between 1967 and 1973 Bury's shirts did not carry a crest and then, for the 1973-74 season a rather curious badge was adopted, consisting of a single star underneath the legend, "Bury FC." This was replaced the following season with the distinctive "V" design that proved both popular and recognisable, surviving until 1982.

crest-1991.gifcrest-1996.gif1974 brought promotion back to the Third but six years later they were back in the basement. The V crest was dropped and "BFC" was embroidered onto the shirts in cursive script between 1982 and 1986 when the old town crest was revived.

The pattern of promotion and relegation continued with Bury moving between the lowest two division until successive promotions in 1996 and 1997 took them up to Nationwide Division One (the old Second Division).

In 1999 Bury slipped back down to the third tier on goal difference and by 2002 they had crest-1999.gifcrest-2009.gifdropped into the lowest division where they faced a constant struggle to survive, selling on promising players at the expense of building long-term success.

To mark their 125th anniversary in 2009-10, Bury adopted a home kit based on their original strip from 1885 alongside a change strip based on that from 1892-93. The specially designed crest combined the traditional coat of arms with the iconic V design from the Seventies. The two gold stars represent Bury's FA Cup wins from 1900 and 1903.

The old crest was reinstated the following season with "Bury FC" crest-2011.gifembroidered underneath and in 2011, the two gold stars appeared again.