Inverness CT -V- Celtic (Cup)

Scotty

Absolutely amazing day. Started in Burnley. Aged 10 years during game. What a result what a performance. Stuck in Perth (broken down) en route back to Burghead. Great memories keeping us warm

• Agree 1

What a day! What a game!

Thought we started very brightly, but Celtic came back into it and we were under the cosh for a bit, but Esson came up with a few good saves. Thought that we might buckle when they scored, but we seemed to defend quite well, although Forrest was giving us problems (as well as diving a lot). Then the huge slice of luck - I still can't believe that ref, linesman and pointless ref all missed that handball. That said, I'm not going to get too upset at getting a bit of luck against Celtic.

We started the second half ok, and then the game changer - Gordon made a late bid for the Scotland World Cup squad - the rugby World Cup that is - by taking Watkins out. Red card and penalty! Twenty minutes later, after Celtic finally found their substitute keeper, his first touch of the ball was to pick the ball out of the net.

After that, I thought we used the extra man very well, and thought we bossed the game for most of the rest of the half. Celtic pressed towards the end, but their final ball was usually poor.

And so to extra time. I wondered if we might regret not finishing it in normal time, but then Ofere popped up to put us in front for the first time. At that point I thought that might be enough, but the ref had other ideas, changing his policy of not giving blatant handballs to one of penalising fair tackles. Not sure if Esson should have done better, because it looked like the ball bounced right in front of him, would like to see it again. Thought we were set for penalties at that point, and when Ross failed to hit the target with the keeper grounded it seemed certain, but then the last man you would expect to turn up with a dramatic, late, semi-final winner ghosted in at the back post, and we were there!

Every player in an ICT shirt was a hero today, they all put in a shift and stuck to the task in hand. One or two had sticky periods in the game, but kept working through them.

No Warren in the final after his booking, but can Meekings expect a call from the Compliance Officer? If so, we may be a bit short at the back at the end of May b

• Agree 2

Well done to Sportscene for demonstrating what Tansey and everybody in our end knew at the time when we got a free kick outside their box - that the ref allowed the wall to be far too close, only 7.9 yards from the ball!

• Agree 1

Fantastic a great team performance from all :clapping:  :clapping: , just seen the BBC highlights where they showed Meekings terrific save four times!  Celtic claim they should have had a penalty but don't mention we should have had another for the keepers assault on Ofere!  Just BAD losers, looking forward to the final now :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:  

• Agree 2

Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant! I can echo all of above, only in writing though as I lost my voice when our third went in. Great day out including winning match bet, which was spent in Ikea and on dinner and a few beers in Perth. Didn't get home til 10pm.

What a disgraceful shower on Sportscene though, especially Nevin. Mostly about Celtic not getting a penalty for the Meekings handball. Well tough s##t. Always the same when the Old Scum lose - ref at fault or other team cheated. Yes the ref was poor but also for us.

Will be interesting to know how Falkirk will keep match fit in the 28 days of no competitive games before the final. I also hope we can take 20,000.

• Agree 3

I was at the game as a neutral today, seeing as you guys knocked us out at Firhill I wanted to find out how you actually beat Celtic ;)

Above is a video of the penalty I took myself, you boys will enjoy it a wee bit more than I did.

Your fans were tremendous despite the stewards being dickish to you and I'll definitely head along to the final, if it's half as exciting as that then it'll be amazing no doubt.

• Agree 17

Absolutely amazing, great game of football and superb performance by the whole team, fans and everyone associated with ICT.

Guys did us all proud and got what the performance deserved.

Buzzing for the final, lets get the mobilisation started

:ictscarf:  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Was there any chance Meekings just stuck his arm out for balance. If it was deliberate his reactions must be the fastest in football any goalkeeper would be proud of

The Ref has taken a lot of stick on this one, as a biased observer I feel in real time the Ref saw it and thought it was too close to call deliberate. Could someone who knows Josh find out if he meant it.?

• Agree 1

Great game and great day. Sportscene did the usual of trying to make the game one sided for Celtic, but on balance I think there were an equal amount of good chances considering the misses by Ofere and Nicky cancelling out the Meekings clearance and hitting the post, both sides had periods of dominance, but Celtic did look a bit more threatening in the final third perhaps because in several cases we let the tempo of the build up drop and they could get back and defend deep in numbers. Love him or hate him, I thought Scott Brown did play well for them and broke everything up just as Shinnie did for us.

Stewards seemed a bit OTT, nobody cared about the standing section the green brigade had. For what was nothing more than a group of about 50-100 ICT fans standing the police and steward presence was rediculous. What did frustrate me was the constant stand up sit down of the fans though, I'm happy enough to sit but my preference for games like this (and anywhere we can get away with it) like Scotland games or last years Cup final is to stand.......so people if you decide to stand up then stay standing, they cant throw us all out - if not just stay seated - the constant up & down is an irritation. So lets all be upstanding for the final please!!!!!

Absolutely brilliant result, made even better by the whingeing from Celtic fans about the penalty. Poor coverage on Sportsecene and Pat Nevin almost in tears as Celtic lost. As for him stating Celtic were the better team, no wonder he wears glasses.

Onwards and upwards.

• Agree 5

I was at the game as a neutral today, seeing as you guys knocked us out at Firhill I wanted to find out how you actually beat Celtic ;)

Cheers for that Marc, I'm old enough to remember when you actually hammered them in 1971, Dalglish and all. Just keep the faith.

For me, yesterday finally made up for when they robbed us in the quarter final of 2007.

Agree with all of the above, a fantastic day out but enjoyed mostly in retrospect, a real emotional roller coaster of a game. I thought the team were immense throughout, and played all the best football. Celtic look really limited when GMS and Armstrong aren't available. So, Nevin, I think we were the better team.

For the disputed penalty, I don't see how it can have been deliberate, but the media furore (including Sportscene) just highlights than when the Old Firm are victims of a dodgy decision, it's news, but when it's the other lot (Warren's soft booking, the sub keeper flattening Ofere, the ref bottling giving Scott Brown a second yellow, Celtic scoring from two free kicks but when we're given them the Celtic wall is allowed to stand on top of the wall) it's just swept under the carpet.

Better team won. Great game, great day, should be a terrific final. Never been to a ScoCuFi before. Immensely looking forward to it.

Final word of caution; though they won on Sat, Falkirk didn't play very well but they're better than that. No complacency.

• Agree 2

Got home at midnight after just about the best ever away day.

Can't say enough about the performance of the team.  I'm so proud of all of them, and for Dave the Rave to get the winner is just the icing on the cake.  So hard to pick a MOM but, if I had to, I think Watkins would shade it from a long list of contenders.

The stewards were idiots trying to stamp their authority over a group of our young supporters near me  who were only enjoying themselves.  Unfortunately at least two lads were ejected. A blind man could see that the lads were not going to be trouble, but the stewards just had to wade in and try and show who was boss. They don't do it when there are two thousand 'Tic fans standing for the whole match in our away end!

On a personal note it was good to put faces to some more forum members (Top Six and Alternate Maryhill for two), who Eagle for Caley and I met in George square and travelled to the match with, via the Clockwork Beer Co pub.  Well done to that pub and to whoever organised it to be open for us.  It seemed to be exclusively an ICT pub for that hour or so before the game.  Will definitely use it again for the final.

And finally, before going to the airport, great to round off the evening with Gringo, Mrs G and Eagle in the Crystal Palace boozer near Central near Central station.  Quite appropriate for Eagle as his 'wee team' is CP.

Another day to live long in the memory following our remarkable team.