venue for Scottish Cup final

We'll need extra capacity for all of Tansey and Raven's Liverpudlian mates, as it transpires they'll be free that day after all.

Never any doubt they would be.  As a Villa fan from my years in England it has been a rather good day. :smile:

Hampden it has to be so let's hope the occasion inspires the folk of both Inverness and Falkirk and encourages neutrals to turn up to a final that epitomises the dreams of smaller clubs in a game dominated by the money that is poured into the big clubs.

• Agree 4

Falkirk had 25,000 at the final in '97.

If tickets are priced well (SFA I know so not much chance) it would encourage fans of other teams to come along for the day. Tickets to sports and children's groups. subsidised buses etc.

If a real effort is made then you could be looking at 40k+

Town teams (aye, I know Sneck is officially a city noo, but...) can put up a real show for a final. This final will be all about football from two good footballing, passing teams and there's no real excuse for anybody from Sneck or Falkirk, or who have any connection with either, not to be there in May. Even the Old Firm jersey wearers in both burgs, if they want to.

It'd take a bit to fill Hampden, bit with the right pricing and marketing there can be a fair turnout from both clubs and maybe a good lot of neutrals.

And even if the stadium isnae full, doesn't mean there's nae atmosphere. Who was making all the noise yesterday?

• Agree 2

I would have been in favour of a venue other than Hampden had we drawn Falkirk in the semis but' for the final it has to be the National Stadium.

Properly scheduled, priced and marketed there is no reason why we can't get a crowd in the region of 40,000.

I Understand that the SFA and the sponsors want the premier cup competition final to be played in an full stadium which is being beamed live on national television. But think back 12 months ago was Celtic park full for Dundee Utd and St Johnstone - no and there was no fuss. so even if there are empty seats, then as people have said if the Scottish authorities for once can work out sensible pricing then the so called worry of empty spaces may not be as bad as people think. They have the power now to show people all across the world that although it is two teams with small supports they can still produce a spectacle and bring in plenty of supporters. Whether this will happen time will tell but their track record is not promising. 

Edited by gingerjaggy
  • Agree 1

The final should be at Hampden - no discussion.

A St J fan on P&B put up the cost last year - £35 for adults £10 for concessions. I suspect it will be the same next month, but would be good if the SFA could bring these down a bit. Somebody suggested £50 for a family, which sounds like the right kind of incentive to me! Frankly, I don't care how many are there.....so long as I'm one of them!

• Agree 1

I really really hope it wont be £35 for an adult, man alive then it really will be only 20,000 or so. The SFA dont even need to think long and hard about this. Keep the prices low and more will come, could easily hit the 40,000 mark if prices were kept the same as yday and saturday.

I would like to ask the club however, would it be possible for all the regulars, ST holders and generally loyal fans be able to sit together in one stand. This will allow for more noise and passion. The families who want to sit down and the knobs in jester hats who come once a decade can sit elsewhere

FInal wouldn't have been at Hampden last year, what with the Commo Games and all, was it Sellick Park? So the pricing structure may be different from how the St J folks remember it anyway.

Fair point, RobRoy. However, I suspect it was the SFA that set the price, not Celtic and I'm sure they'd like to keep consistency year on year. I think we just have to wait and see how they'll manage to screw us over this time!

Some stats to use if any of your mates or work colleagues bang on about Hampden being empty because there's nae big team involved. Crowds at the last eight ScoCuFinals NOT involving either of the uglies;

1986. Aberdeen v Hearts. Att: 62,841
1987. St mirren v Dundee U. Att: 51,782
1991. Motherwell v Dundee U Att: 57,319
1997. Kilmarnock v Falkirk. Att: 48,953
2006. Hearts v Gretna. Att: 51,232
2010. Dundee U v Ross C. Att: 47,122
2012. Hearts. v. Hibs. Att: 51,041
2014. St Johnstone v Dundee U Att: 47,345

• Agree 2

It's interesting how high the crowds have been for non-OF finals, but they've usually involved one of Scotland's other better supported teams.  I think this final will be only the 2nd in 80 years not to include a team from one of the big 4 cities.

Another way of looking at is that the participants this year each get only about 3,000 home fans at their bog standard league matches, and that combined core support of 6,000 must surely be the lowest ever Scottish Cup Finalists and will lead to the lowest ever attendance.