Compliance Officer / Justice for Meekings

RossP

One more argument that others haven't mentioned yet. Looking closely at the incident again, even if Meekings misses the ball, Shinnie is covering the line. So not a 'last man' offence by any means.

That's not what he's been charged with though. He's been charged with denial of a (clear) goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball.

The whole last man thing doesn't even exist in the laws of the game.

It's one of those great footballing 'myths' that persists and is constantly spouted by the punters in the stands and the pundits in the studio! Like the "he got the ball, so it can't be a foul"!

While I'm being pedantic, Alex, the English Conference to which you refer in an earlier post, stopped being called the 'Vauxhall Conference' seventeen years ago.

They're actually dropping the 'conference' tag altogether from next season and (confusingly) rebranding as the 'National League' with 'National League North' and 'National League South' below.

• Agree 1

I don't see what Celtic have got to do with the decision what so ever. Will Celtic be really bothered if Meekings is banned or not... I highly doubt it. The decision means nothing to them.

It's the SFA trying to cover their backsides for their appalling officiating and I'm glad the likes of FIFA and Gordon Smith etc have been throwing in their comments today I honestly can't see how the SFA can uphold the ban when the hearing comes round tomorrow.

• Agree 3

I now want to see Maradona carpeted  and banned for the "hand of god' incident in 1986 and the World Cup final stages of the tournament replayed as a matter of course even if we have to bring out all the old players and have them replay it all. 

This would be consistent with the way the SFA approach a missed hand ball in a match.  Petitions anyone?

• Agree 3

It is an absolute farce that this has happened but there are some important issues here. Firstly they say that had one of the 6 officials seen it then this would have never made it to this ludicrous stage and we would be concentrating on Aberdeen on Saturday. So in a stadium where all the tims saw it and I certainly saw it how did one of the 6 not see it and yet we have not seen anything on the fate of the officials. Here is a question I wonder if Celtic had won would the compliance officer have got involved. I listened to sportsound sound tonight and yes it is a dire programme but I couldnt believe my ears when Chick Young and Murdo Mcleod where defending us. Tom English and the boring drone that is Willie ******* Miller believe that this is right because it is apparently in the rules and that we should stop moaning because we could have had it changed but didnt and now its come to kick us in the stones it is to late. The other two think this nonsense. But the question is what is Celtic's real game here? Yes they are pissed off and because of some of the cretins that they call supporters have thrown their toys out of the pram they send a letter to the SFA. Why? they are not going to get a replay or reinstated and I am sure the club themselves didn't have getting Josh banned as part of their plan as it doesnt help them in anyway. When the Guidetti dive happened at Tynecastle Delia was asked afterwards and he said you win some and you lose some. After Sunday they have to send a letter to be given their god given right to an explanation which of course has opened up all this conspiracy crap. 

But the question is what is Celtic's real game here?

Just what it's always been. To bring down the whole establishment, which for whatever reason, they are convinced has an agenda to stop them winning trophies.

The other notable consequence of this decision, if it stands, is to totally undermine the referee's authority during a match. If a 50-50 incident occurs, the ref will now not be just concentrating on getting it as right as possible, but will try to second guess a potential tribunal if the club doesn't like his decision. Even worse, fans, players and club officials may well see a decision they don't like and think to themselves: we will complain to the compliance officer about this. So any controversial decision during a match will now be perceived to be not the final decision, but open to appeal and change.

If the SFA can't see how this will make a farce out of the results, which won't be final any more, and be a recipe for chaotic reconsideration of all manner of decisions, then they are negligent in their responsibilities. Ultimately they have to back the officials charged with officiating  a game, and if they are dissatisfied with the standards then it is their job to raise them. Not shift the blame to people who they think they can punish for other's sins.

BTW, isn't undermining the integrity of the game and bringing it into disrepute a chargeable offence? The SFA should be charging and fining themselves.

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 1

Ronny Deila now saying that he wants Josh to play in Final.

The SFA have succeeded in so far as they have turned this into a spat between the clubs, when really as a few have said, their whole objective has been to deflect anger and attention away from their own bungling referees and administrators.

I believe Josh will be OK.

There are far too many incidents in previous games on TV that had a stronger case to be investigated and were not reviewed.Which indicates that a panel must prove that Meekings is more at fault than any other incident caught on camera and they can not prove this beyond reasonable doubt.Celtic are not a review panel and should carry no more weight than a fan having concerns during a match.

If the panel are influenced in any way because of a large club request it then the panel must be replaced.

The SFA have succeeded in so far as they have turned this into a spat between the clubs, when really as a few have said, their whole objective has been to deflect anger and attention away from their own bungling referees and administrators.

Deila has also said that he doesn't believe Josh handled the ball deliberately

I am now feeling that if this  is proceeded with and Josh is suspended then the floodgates of complaint are about to open to the great detriment of Celtic F C  and  the SFA.  The can of worms is now pried wide open and, believe me,the genie is now well and truly out of the box. To put it succinctly. the party is about to start and you "aint seen nuffink yet"

If they actually now believe, in view of the rising controversy, that this is suddenly going to end with Josh missing the Final  then they are delusional.  Consider the following:

1.First off there is no evidence whatsoever that any allegation to commit the alleged foul was intentional. At least  one crystal clear photo shows Josh in the traditional, NATURAL, mode of attempting to HEAD the ball which, in itself necessitates  one or both arms to be extended in order to accomplish the task. If his hand was still attached to his arm isn't it a normal physical thing that if the arm is in the position to allow him to thrust his head forward then the hand had to also be in that position too .Unless of course ,. it could naturally be also argued that the arm was on the way back , not forward, IF he was attempting to head the ball....because it sure looks like that to the unbiased me.

2.Not one of three refs said this was intentional.

3. If his intention was to swat the ball to prevent it going into the net then why would his head be bent in such a demonstrative forward position. By swatting the ball the opposite physical backward reaction is generated and his arm should then come back. No ref said it didn't.  So........VOILA!

4. It is just as easy for the neutral observer to suggest that  it was pure happenstance that his hand  touched the ball since at no time has this honest English injun  admitted to making a deliberate attempt to thwart the mighty, untouchable Celtic F.C. which would have been a much worse crime worthy of a death sentence, don't you know, and condemned  him to eternal damnation.

:ohmy:

• Agree 1

Just wanted sportscene again on the iplayer and if you listen to pat nevin he slows it all down and shows the views all the officials had and it's plain for all to see that the ref was looking straight at it.they say josh is charged because no official saw it.this proves he was looking at it and if he missed it then its incompetents and the compliance officer has no case to put to josh.

Its all a disgrace and brings the game into disripute. The SFA need to be transparent as right now it looks like any investigation is prompted by the Celtic complaint and not the SFA own doing - they need to demonstrate that this is not the case and that they operate with integrity. Right now (once again) all over the BBC and therefore global media, the SFA are making us a laughing stock.

If Celtic are questioning the officials, then thats questioning the integrity of the whole game and brings it into disripute so should be dealt with accordingly. SFA need to grow some balls and heavy fine of ban Celtic from the cup next season - drastic actions taht send a clear message. We had a ref strike before and the SFA were not going to stand for this behaviour again (apparently) yet Lawell is again pulling the SFA strings.

We had the outcry (rightly so) when CFC players get abuse on the street and Lennon was attacked yet we see the simliar actions from them towards Josh - social media/online etc. Everything is a conspiracy, everyone wants to stop them winning everything. Its a farce.

Edited by bdu98196

I have read the posts on here and the majority on P & B as well. having calmed down since Josh was first cited, I think there are a few things to consider.

Despite all the camera angles that have been shown, nobody has been able to, nor will they be able to, show the exact view the officials had of this incident. Why - becasue no official had a camera strpped to their head.Unless you were physically standing where the official were, you cannot 100% say from television footage that the officials saw this. If they did not see clearly or were not a 100% sure, they cannot give a penalty. Referees should not try to second guess situations although some do.

The SFA are really hanging the officials out to dry here and I do have sympathy for the officials. All the SFA needed to do was to come out with a statement that they had consulted officials and this is whay they thought happened/why they did not award a penalty. I genuinely believe the officials think they got the decision correct at the time and it must be remembered that they only get to see the incident once in real time, not on endless television replays.

If Josh does get banned for this, then, as has already been said, it opens up a real can of worms for the future and could change how the game is played and viewed. While technically the Compliance officer may be within the rules, it is my understanding that these rules were brought in to basically capture off the ball or violent incidents that the referee missed/did not see and to then discipline the offenders. If the rules are badly written, then the clubs need to get them rewritten as soon as possible as the clubs agreed this.

The final point has to be that if these rules have been in place for 4 years, why have they not been used for an incident like this before as this cannot have been the first time this has happened. An obvious conclusion would be because the SFA did this to shift the blame from the officials and to say, they got it wrong (but did they?), we cannot change what happened but we will ban a player retrospectively to make you/the SFA happy and look like the good guys.

I rest my case m'lud

Edited by Huisdean
  • Agree 3

I hope that's the case, but it does beg the question of why Celtic wrote to the SFA to ask why a penalty was not awarded for deliberate handball when a much clearer penalty against Celtic was also not given.

• Agree 1

Perhaps I am over-estimating Shinniesta, but I honestly think he's good enough to stop it.  

Given that Shinniesta plays for Birmingham yes I do think you are over estimating his ability to get there to block any subsequent goal bound effort! :laugh:

I hope that's the case, but it does beg the question of why Celtic wrote to the SFA to ask why a penalty was not awarded for deliberate handball when a much clearer penalty against Celtic was also not given. I refer the hon gentleman to my previous answer at #258 :lol:

So D-Day in Meekingsgate has arrived.

I really don't know which way this will go. Given that the compliance officer only gets involved for incidents not seen by the officials, you have to assumre that the referee's report has no mention of the incident and that they will all claim not to have seen it. Watching the video again, the movement of the arm is not in Josh's favour, but the position of his head is.

Unfortunately, all the furore in the background is irrelevant for the panel now that it has reached this stage. My hope is that the SFA will realise that they have bitten off more than they can chew and someone will have a word in the ear of the panel members to suggest that if there is any element of doubt, they should return a "not proven" verdict. Let's face it, if even Neil Lennon thinks this is a nonsense, it really must be obvious to every man and his dog.

• Agree 2

...hadn't seen this from FIFA head of refs:

Boyce said: “This decision to suspend the player is setting a very, very dangerous precedent.

“FIFA allow associations to make their own decisions but if this decision stands and Inverness feel it is unjust they would have every right to bring this matter up with the powers that be at FIFA.” (Daily Record)

Bring it on!

• Agree 2

I believe Josh will be OK.

There are far too many incidents in previous games on TV that had a stronger case to be investigated and were not reviewed.Which indicates that a panel must prove that Meekings is more at fault than any other incident caught on camera and they can not prove this beyond reasonable doubt.Celtic are not a review panel and should carry no more weight than a fan having concerns during a match.

If the panel are influenced in any way because of a large club request it then the panel must be replaced.

Josh's culpability requires to be proved but not beyond reasonable doubt. He has not been charged with a criminal offence.