Compliance Officer / Justice for Meekings

RossP

I believe Josh will be OK.

There are far too many incidents in previous games on TV that had a stronger case to be investigated and were not reviewed.Which indicates that a panel must prove that Meekings is more at fault than any other incident caught on camera and they can not prove this beyond reasonable doubt.Celtic are not a review panel and should carry no more weight than a fan having concerns during a match.

If the panel are influenced in any way because of a large club request it then the panel must be replaced.

Josh's culpability requires to be proved but not beyond reasonable doubt. He has not been charged with a criminal offence.

Is 'Denying Celtic The Treble' not a criminal offence?

• Agree 6

Well, with the current Celtic manager saying it wasn't intentional, and the former manager saying it is impossible to prove intention, it seems nobody supports the SFA stance, and I don't see how 3 people can unanimously agree that it was a deliberate offence warranting a suspension, when they have no evidence, merely opinion.

My final word on the absurdity of it all before the hearing.

Professional football has been played now for 153 years. It has been routinely televised for half a century. FIFA have 209 national associations as members. Something in excess of ten million professional football matches have taken place over the last century and a half.

In over fifteen million hours of play never before in the history of the World has an allegation of handball been dealt with retrospectively.

If the Compliance Officer can explain to me what is so very different about the second semi final of the 2015 William Hill Scottish Cup from the over ten million matches that went before it then I might just be prepared to accept that there is a case to answer....

• Agree 9

I've been a Celtic supporter for almost 60 years and was at Sunday's Game and of course I was disappointed that we got beat and it does hurt to get so close to a Treble and not get it. But that feeling would have been the same if the incident involving Josh had never happened.

I don't know a single Celtic supporter that want's to see him barred from the final. He should have been dealt with at the time and that might have seen him miss the final - who knows?

But IMO the fact that every official was temporarily 'blind' at the crucial moment isn't good enough reason for the Compliance Officer to act and I think it's a deliberate attempt by the SFA to scapegoat Meekings as a deflection from the gross failure of every single match official.

Celtic fans have many reasons to distrust the SFA - some good and other perhaps not - but they have no impact on what's going on here. As to Celtic's right to ask for an explanation: I would ask if positions were reversed on the day would ICT fans not be demanding an explanation? I'm sure they would.

In the past these kinds of things were dealt with secfretly and privately and surely in this day and age football fans want to move-on into a more transparent approach to governing the game and ways to improve that process. ICT well deserved their victory on Sunday and deserve to be in the final.

IMO so does Josh Meekings - I simply don't care whether it was intentional or accidental although I do think it was a penalty and I don't believe none of the officials saw the incident. Whether they saw his hand hit the ball or 'saw' his face hit the ball or surmied it was his head that hit the ball I haven't a clue. But they - for whatever reason - appear to have taken a vow of Omerta.

Meekings, on the other hand, has been honest since the post-match interview in saying it struck his hand and admitting he was lucky. I admire they guy for that because he didn't fudge the question and told the truth. For that alone he deserves to be in the final!

celtic as a club have no axe to grind with the player or ICT - you have given us good games and the odd roasting and we value you as worthy opponents and good footballers and I would hate to think SFA manufactured nonsense and PR spin could create a rift between us. I'm sure it won't.

• Agree 19

I've been a Celtic supporter for almost 60 years and was at Sunday's Game and of course I was disappointed that we got beat and it does hurt to get so close to a Treble and not get it. But that feeling would have been the same if the incident involving Josh had never happened.

I don't know a single Celtic supporter that want's to see him barred from the final. He should have been dealt with at the time and that might have seen him miss the final - who knows?

But IMO the fact that every official was temporarily 'blind' at the crucial moment isn't good enough reason for the Compliance Officer to act and I think it's a deliberate attempt by the SFA to scapegoat Meekings as a deflection from the gross failure of every single match official.

Celtic fans have many reasons to distrust the SFA - some good and other perhaps not - but they have no impact on what's going on here. As to Celtic's right to ask for an explanation: I would ask if positions were reversed on the day would ICT fans not be demanding an explanation? I'm sure they would.

In the past these kinds of things were dealt with secfretly and privately and surely in this day and age football fans want to move-on into a more transparent approach to governing the game and ways to improve that process. ICT well deserved their victory on Sunday and deserve to be in the final.

IMO so does Josh Meekings - I simply don't care whether it was intentional or accidental although I do think it was a penalty and I don't believe none of the officials saw the incident. Whether they saw his hand hit the ball or 'saw' his face hit the ball or surmied it was his head that hit the ball I haven't a clue. But they - for whatever reason - appear to have taken a vow of Omerta.

Meekings, on the other hand, has been honest since the post-match interview in saying it struck his hand and admitting he was lucky. I admire they guy for that because he didn't fudge the question and told the truth. For that alone he deserves to be in the final!

celtic as a club have no axe to grind with the player or ICT - you have given us good games and the odd roasting and we value you as worthy opponents and good footballers and I would hate to think SFA manufactured nonsense and PR spin could create a rift between us. I'm sure it won't.

There is only one part of your post that I take issue with. Whilst we would, without doubt, have felt aggrieved and disappointed, I am as certain as I can be that ICT would not have written to the SFA to ask for an explanation. We would have simply accepted that we were on the wrong end of a bad refereeing decision at a crucial time as every single club is from time to time.

In fact, I can only think of two clubs in the land who would have the arrogance to write to the governing body demanding an explanation. One is your own and one is barely four years old. You are each as bad as each other and football in this country would be much the healthier and far fairer without either of you.

• Agree 8

So what time does the tribunal convene?

And when is Josh due to be hung from the gallows outside Hampden?

Are the SFA supplying rotten tomatoes to throw at him or are they being provided by Celtic?

Would have thought 12.15 would be more appropriate!!

• Agree 1

Are the SFA supplying rotten tomatoes to throw at him or are they being provided by Celtic?

probably about an hour before the first bus or train from Inverness arrives in Glasgow

• Agree 2

@

Kingsmills

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However you appear to have missed the point. Celtic was inundated with demands from supporters to provide an explanation wrt the incident.

I personally believe that clubs even if they are ultimately owned by a Plc have a duty to respond to valid issues raised by their fans. Perhaps ICT fans don't raise issues with their club that they are unhappy about - if they don't then that's their decision  and I have no comment to make on it.

Some Celtic shareholders have been pursuing Res 12 which you may have heard of and that began with a shareholder resolution to the club's agm. It could have major consequences for football in Scotland and IMO is an issue that needs answered.

I think most football fans, irrespective of club, want a level playing field and the rules to be honestly applied without fear or favour. In an incident like this fans are left with no actual answers as to what the officials saw or didn't see and what decision they made or didn't make.

In these circumstances I think it essential that clarification is sought - not to punish Meekins or detract from ICT's well deserved victory but to see if there are any rules changes required or any ways in which a similar incident can be prevented in future or at least reduced.

I therefore don't see Celtic's move as 'arrogance' but more a direct and necessary reaction to their support and also something which might improve the game by ensuring fair play is the standard which must always be the goal.

Obviously you have some real issues with Celtic and Rangers which IMO have absolutely nothing to do with this incident and detract from the cool discussion that is required not to dragged into the SFA PR spin to turn an ICT player into a scapegoat for the abject failure of the refs.

Let's deal with the matter in hand and not get dragged-off into virtually calling for the expulsion of two clubs from Scottish Football.

• Agree 1

probably about an hour before the first bus or train from Inverness arrives in Glasgow

You mean they have taken this into account :lol:

My final word on the absurdity of it all before the hearing.

Professional football has been played now for 153 years. It has been routinely televised for half a century. FIFA have 209 national associations as members. Something in excess of ten million professional football matches have taken place over the last century and a half.

In over fifteen million hours of play never before in the history of the World has an allegation of handball been dealt with retrospectively.

If the Compliance Officer can explain to me what is so very different about the second semi final of the 2015 William Hill Scottish Cup from the over ten million matches that went before it then I might just be prepared to accept that there is a case to answer....

Fifteen-million hours of play and ten-million matches! Have you been hacking my database again?! :lol:

• Agree 1

I actually disagree with some of the comments above tbh. Im sure clubs query decisions all the time but its done behind closed doors. Celtic clearly decided to do it publically to play to their own support. Tbh I think they had the right to query but not in the manner theyve done it in. I do however blame the central belt based press who clearly have stirred and stirred making this so high profile that the SFA decided in intervene.

Most Celtic fans I know disagree with Josh being cited and want the referee dealt with. Personally I also feel that wrong as refs are human and we all moan about decisions and then move on. Doubt wed still be seeing this discussed in press if it had been the other way round tbh....

• Agree 3

I believe Josh will be OK.

There are far too many incidents in previous games on TV that had a stronger case to be investigated and were not reviewed.Which indicates that a panel must prove that Meekings is more at fault than any other incident caught on camera and they can not prove this beyond reasonable doubt.Celtic are not a review panel and should carry no more weight than a fan having concerns during a match.

If the panel are influenced in any way because of a large club request it then the panel must be replaced.

Josh's culpability requires to be proved but not beyond reasonable doubt. He has not been charged with a criminal offence. 

Correct.  If culpability is beyond resonable doubt then you get let off. This has been demonstrated by Ciftci's various appearences before the panels.

• Agree 2

As to Celtic's right to ask for an explanation: I would ask if positions were reversed on the day would ICT fans not be demanding an explanation? I'm sure they would.

I appreciate the sincerity of your post but, with all due respect, supporters of clubs outside the Old Firm (no matter how much you detest the term) have long since stopped being surprised by anything that happens in matches against either of them. As a wee club I doubt we would be 'demanding' anything.

• Agree 5

If Josh's case is admonished or he wins will Celtic pay our costs? plus compensation for stress and anxiety they have caused him.

According to STV Sport's piece on the whole affair, there is no cost to defending this - apparently it is different from appealing a red card (!?) The only cost would therefore be travel and I think club officals are at Hampden today anyway for discussions about the cup final. I think it should actually be the SFA that should pay Josh for "pain and suffering".

Celtic supporters solely have caused this entire sorry @ssed situation.

I have followed ICT since the 3rd division and experienced many, many highs and lows over the past 2 decades plus.

We have just reached our first ever Scottish Cup Final.  We played better on the day.  We merited our victory.  Even if we hadn't, and we had won the game with a lucky 89th minute own goal, the fact is we have just reached our first ever Scottish Cup Final. The feeling on Sunday was fantastic, one of the best I've had on my ICT journey - now?...

Now I'm just extremely angry at the whole pathetic shambles your fans have created.  A great feeling that should have lasted all week, ruined by your fans because they cannot accept that they were beaten.

Yes - the ref has messed up.  Yes - you should have had a penalty.

Was the handball deliberate?  Not for a second.

It's quite reasonable to believe that the linesman behind the goal thought the ball had hit Josh in the face/head.  And that is what he told the ref immediately.

Either way -  he was still wrong.

Unfair decisions have affected every club in Scotland.  Every club in Europe.  Every club in the world.  Yet your fans have to go out complaining it's not fair, and demand something happens.

And what has happened?

- An honest, young player has been thrust into the world media, received disgusting abuse and been made to feel like a cheat.  Josh is not a cheat.  It was handball - it was not deliberate.

- Our fans are left talking about this pathetic story rather than enjoying a fantastic achievement and an historic day in our clubs journey.

- Scottish football had been made to look even more ridiculous.

And who's caused this?

Your fans.  Your club.

Why?

Because you are nothing more than sore losers.

This entire sorry @ssed, pathetic, embarrassment has been caused by your fans and your club.

For years we've seen rangers claim they are too big for Scottish football - and now you're too big to lose in a cup game or to have a bad decision go against you?

Your fans have damaged the perception of your club throughout Scotland and further afield far worse than a bad officiating error has tarnished our game.

So you'll excuse me and many of my fellow football supporters if we don't meekly accept that you were right to do what you've done and if our club stands up for itself this time.

As far as this poster is concerned you can f**k off and leave the rest of us to get on with things - you've caused enough trouble as it is.

I now fully expect a warning or a ban from the mods for this rant.  That's a ban that's acceptable and won't be contested.

• Agree 8

If Josh's case is admonished or he wins will Celtic pay our costs? plus compensation for stress and anxiety they have caused him.

According to STV Sport's piece on the whole affair, there is no cost to defending this - apparently it is different from appealing a red card (!?) The only cost would therefore be travel and I think club officals are at Hampden today anyway for discussions about the cup final. I think it should actually be the SFA that should pay Josh for "pain and suffering".

Although they may not have to pay anything to the SFA, they will still need to pay for a lawyer to defend Meekings.....I'm sure that won't come cheap.

Josh has an exemplary disciplinary record this year with regard to bookings. He is an honest guy.