Compliance Officer / Justice for Meekings

RossP

To be a fly on the wall of Hampden H Q would have been fun.

My guess when comments and pressure from the outside world including FIFA started to pour in. The powers that be got mighty nervy. It is one thing to support your champions and biggest team it is another to be pressurised by the outside world. There are signs that the pressures on authority we see in the T V drama "  Blacklist"  probably had  nothing compared to what happened behind the scenes at Hampden.  A few years ago a senior rugby player referred to the officials of the English rugby union  controlling body as a bunch of old farts.  Beginning to ring true of the people at the top of Scottish football

• Agree 1

Regardless of conspiracy theories, here we have Scotland football's top legal adviser not even knowing the basics of his job. He cannot read and was made to look completely stupid before the tribunal was due to start. The process was abandoned because of his incompetence.

Based on TV evidence it is impossible to blame Alan Muir. His view is completely obstructed by Leigh Griffiths. Even the referee has just the same nanosecond as Josh to assess if the ball hit his hand or head. I do not regard what he did as a mistake. He was not certain, asked Alan Muir and possibly the linesman and none could see what those higher up in the stadium, or on TV could see.

As for conspiracy theories, remember that Yogi is always trying to outwit Mr Ranger!!

• Agree 4

This time last week Josh was an ICT player known mainly by his fans .

This week there are not many in the football world who hasn't heard

of Josh Meekings .Our Josh has made history .Go on now Josh and

make history for ICT on the pitch .We are all very very proud of you.

• Agree 7

Not to add fuel to the fire but this page of the newspaper has some very interesting ,apparently neutral, comments on the affair.

Unless the SFA officials /management have skins as thick as large Valencia oranges this should shake them to their foundations.

Take your pick of these articles. especially the main one on the left side.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/sports-hotline-meekingsgate--fans-left-5576069

As for "Meekingsgate 2", is there any official confirmation yet that he was indeed eligible to play yesterday, and that for the 2nd time in less than a week the SFA wrongly tried to ban him?

Administrative error I believe. Or possibly a huge anti - Highland conspiracy? You decide.

As for "Meekingsgate 2", is there any official confirmation yet that he was indeed eligible to play yesterday, and that for the 2nd time in less than a week the SFA wrongly tried to ban him?

Administrative error I believe. Or possibly a huge anti - Highland conspiracy? You decide.[/quote

I think you should write a letter....

• Agree 1

I've been a Celtic supporter for almost 60 years and was at Sunday's Game and of course I was disappointed that we got beat and it does hurt to get so close to a Treble and not get it. But that feeling would have been the same if the incident involving Josh had never happened.

I don't know a single Celtic supporter that want's to see him barred from the final. He should have been dealt with at the time and that might have seen him miss the final - who knows?

But IMO the fact that every official was temporarily 'blind' at the crucial moment isn't good enough reason for the Compliance Officer to act and I think it's a deliberate attempt by the SFA to scapegoat Meekings as a deflection from the gross failure of every single match official.

Celtic fans have many reasons to distrust the SFA - some good and other perhaps not - but they have no impact on what's going on here. As to Celtic's right to ask for an explanation: I would ask if positions were reversed on the day would ICT fans not be demanding an explanation? I'm sure they would.

In the past these kinds of things were dealt with secfretly and privately and surely in this day and age football fans want to move-on into a more transparent approach to governing the game and ways to improve that process. ICT well deserved their victory on Sunday and deserve to be in the final.

IMO so does Josh Meekings - I simply don't care whether it was intentional or accidental although I do think it was a penalty and I don't believe none of the officials saw the incident. Whether they saw his hand hit the ball or 'saw' his face hit the ball or surmied it was his head that hit the ball I haven't a clue. But they - for whatever reason - appear to have taken a vow of Omerta.

Meekings, on the other hand, has been honest since the post-match interview in saying it struck his hand and admitting he was lucky. I admire they guy for that because he didn't fudge the question and told the truth. For that alone he deserves to be in the final!

celtic as a club have no axe to grind with the player or ICT - you have given us good games and the odd roasting and we value you as worthy opponents and good footballers and I would hate to think SFA manufactured nonsense and PR spin could create a rift between us. I'm sure it won't.

Celtic supporters solely have caused this entire sorry @ssed situation.

I have followed ICT since the 3rd division and experienced many, many highs and lows over the past 2 decades plus.

We have just reached our first ever Scottish Cup Final.  We played better on the day.  We merited our victory.  Even if we hadn't, and we had won the game with a lucky 89th minute own goal, the fact is we have just reached our first ever Scottish Cup Final. The feeling on Sunday was fantastic, one of the best I've had on my ICT journey - now?...

Now I'm just extremely angry at the whole pathetic shambles your fans have created.  A great feeling that should have lasted all week, ruined by your fans because they cannot accept that they were beaten.

Yes - the ref has messed up.  Yes - you should have had a penalty.

Was the handball deliberate?  Not for a second.

It's quite reasonable to believe that the linesman behind the goal thought the ball had hit Josh in the face/head.  And that is what he told the ref immediately.

Either way -  he was still wrong.

Unfair decisions have affected every club in Scotland.  Every club in Europe.  Every club in the world.  Yet your fans have to go out complaining it's not fair, and demand something happens.

And what has happened?

- An honest, young player has been thrust into the world media, received disgusting abuse and been made to feel like a cheat.  Josh is not a cheat.  It was handball - it was not deliberate.

- Our fans are left talking about this pathetic story rather than enjoying a fantastic achievement and an historic day in our clubs journey.

- Scottish football had been made to look even more ridiculous.

And who's caused this?

Your fans.  Your club.

Why?

Because you are nothing more than sore losers.

This entire sorry @ssed, pathetic, embarrassment has been caused by your fans and your club.

For years we've seen rangers claim they are too big for Scottish football - and now you're too big to lose in a cup game or to have a bad decision go against you?

Your fans have damaged the perception of your club throughout Scotland and further afield far worse than a bad officiating error has tarnished our game.

So you'll excuse me and many of my fellow football supporters if we don't meekly accept that you were right to do what you've done and if our club stands up for itself this time.

As far as this poster is concerned you can f**k off and leave the rest of us to get on with things - you've caused enough trouble as it is.

I now fully expect a warning or a ban from the mods for this rant.  That's a ban that's acceptable and won't be contested.

Fantastic post, exactly how I feel about the situation.

• Agree 1