Beware of Falkirk!

Sneckboy

Let's be honest, we will never have a better chance of winning the Scottish Cup!

And, frankly, I think we will do...but, it should be noted, that Falkirk have an outstanding record against us - historically.

We've become an established 'top fight' side, and have now been top-six in three consecutive years, whereas, Falkirk have recently been in the 2nd tier, but not a club unfamiliar with the old SPL. 

Falkirk are not a 'big club', but they are bigger than us and will have more fans there on the day. However, the current teams' form and position suggest we will be favourites.

But, to diminish any thoughts of it being a formality, here are a few facts.

The last time we played them - they relegated us!

We've played them 3 times before in all cups - and lost the lot! 

Falkirk have won 7, drawn 1 and lost 1 of the last 9 games between the sides.

No complacency!

• Agree 5

If we underestimate Falkirk in the slightest then we will deserve to be punished in the same way as we have punished teams who were arrogant enough to dismiss us. ....... They got to the final on merit, just like us, and demand respect. With Yogi having been a Falkirk player and Manager, cant see him taking them too lightly !

• Agree 2

2008-09

23 May – Falkirk beat Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1–0 to stay in the SPL and relegate Inverness to the First Division on goal difference.
24 May – Rangers are crowned Scottish champions after beating Dundee United 3–0, Celtic drew 0–0 with Heart of Midlothian so Rangers won by 4 points.
30 May – Rangers won the Scottish Cup beating Falkirk 1–0 in the final thanks to a goal from substitute Nacho Novo just after half-time.

Yogi engineered that!!!

Falkirk need to beat Rangers away and Hibs at home to stand a chance of a top four finish. QOS have Dumbarton at home and Livingston away. With a far superior goal difference to Falkirk, they basically need one more point.

With QOS qualifying for fourth, Falkirk will have four weeks before their next competitive game i.e. the cup final. They should certainly be rested!!

The Scottish Cup Final.

It is going to be a cracker with both sides going all out to win. I can't see any complacency coming into this game.

:ictscarf:

The last time we played them - they relegated us!

It's even worse than that - they also knocked us out of both cups in 08/09, meaning they ended our participation in all 3 tournaments that season!

• Agree 1

However we've done against Falkirk in the past is neither here nor there. The team who wins the trophy is the team with the heart and desire on the day to win it. Its the team who play better and who score more. We need to be that team and not dwell on past experiences.

Most current ICT and Falkirk players have never played in this fixture before. So past results mean nothing. It'd be like worrying about Forfar because they beat us so often back in Division 3. Reminds me of the old Trigger sketch in Only Fools and Horses. "This old broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in it's time." We're not the same team anymore, neither are they. 

Can't say I'm too familiar with their current squad. Jamie MacDonald is a good keeper. David McCracken is a solid centre half. Mark Kerr and Alan Maybury were tosh in the SPL, and are as old as the hills now, so can see them struggling to cope with our pace. Cooper once scored a goal against us for County, but don't remember him doing much else.

• Agree 2

As excited as i am for this final. Occasionally i cant help but think about the Challenge Cup Final of 1999 where we got beat on pens by Alloa.

I was 10 at the time and was so devastated i cried all the way home lol

So yes, lets beware and be ready for what is likely going to be a tough match

Edited by ForzaCaley
  • Agree 1

As excited as i am for this final. Occasionally i cant help but think about the Challenge Cup Final of 1999 where we got beat on pens by Alloa.

I was 37 at the time and so did I.......

• Agree 5

While we may think that we have an excellent opportunity to win some silverware, I am sure Falkirk will be thinking the same too.

Our past difficulties with Falkirk, and the loss to Alloa in the challenge cup should act as reminders to keep our mind on the job and to stay focussed.

I was so hungover that day there wasn't enough fluid left in me to muster a tear.

I was so hungover that day there wasn't enough fluid left in me to muster a tear.

Or being 2-0 up against Dundee at HT Challenge cup and they win 3-2 at Perth. b***dy  Griffiths.

Apparently top flight English sides have offered Falkirk games against their development sides to help them keep competitive between the end of their season to the Scottish Cup final.

They were pretty unlucky not to beat Newcastle Reserves last Saturday at Ibrox.

• Agree 3