ICT in Europe

EvilWhiteStripe

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2015/competitionformat/

Knockout phase definitely states seeded teams play their home game in the second leg ... surely would make sense the same rule applied to qualification stage?? 

As mentioned already that Uefa manual is out of date.  The format competition changed this season in terms of cup finalists position reverting to next best place in the league. 

Back into work today, had a look to see the staff rota for 16th and 23rd July and there's already 3 folk on holiday. There's no chance being able to make an away trip. Just hope we qualify for 3rd round.

Back into work today, had a look to see the staff rota for 16th and 23rd July and there's already 3 folk on holiday. There's no chance being able to make an away trip. Just hope we qualify for 3rd round.

There will be many in the same boat, gyles - me too! Really hard for most to get time off work, midweek at short notice. My 'annual leave' is submitted and then ratified in February each 'calendar year' - and after that, there's little room for flexibility! I've never booked them around what might happen in football - as It just makes me look a dick! I'll get to the home game though!

What we know, as fact, is that we're un-seeded and will be playing any of 33 teams in our match, as there are 66 teams in the draw. (33 seeded v 33 un-seeded).

With Poland and Greece finishing their seasons on Sunday, there are still some teams, as yet unknown.

However, with Aberdeen and St. Johnstone in the 1st round draw, we will be kept apart from the winners of their ties, effectively meaning we only have 31 teams that we could potentially play.

24 of the 31 possibilities are, at present, winners of [(team x) v (team y)], from the 1st round. And the 'Law of averages' would suggest we'll get one of them.

But there are 7 teams who will definitely be in the opposite bowl:

NK Rijeka (Croatia)

FC Copenhagen (Denmark)

Astra (Romania)

Trabzonspor (Turkey)

Dinamo Minsk (Belarus)

Mlada Boleslav (Czech Republic)

Charleroi (Belgium)

Copenhagen would be something of a glamour tie. And perhaps ICT's previous experience of a pre-season in Denmark would help with the logistics of hotels, training facilities etc.

Edited by Sneckboy

Stick Tranzonspor, POAK or Atromitos (Decided this weekend) &  FC Thun in that list

Great shout! I've altered my previous post to take the Turkish club into consideration. But the othewr clubs you mention, in my understanding, are not yet definite potential oppositions!

All sorted Sneckboy - Train from Chorley to Preston (quick libation) - Train from Preston to Warrington Quay (quick libation) - Train from Warrington Quay to Chester (quick libation) - Bus from Chester to Broughton (more relaxed but more intense libations). 61.6 miles.

May actually consider a Highland March !!

Thun, PAOK and Legia Warsaw confirmed as the final qualifiers this evening. That's as much as we'll know until UEFA start allocating clubs into mini groups ahead of the draw!

I understand that the winners of the games involving Aberdeen and St Johnstone, regardless of who they are, will join us in the unseeded pot for Qualifying round 2.

Therefore, we can face 33 clubs, 23 of whom will be the winners from a Q1 game. The other 10 potential opponents are:

NK Rijeka (Croatia)

FC Copenhagen (Denmark)

Astra (Romania)

Trabzonspor (Turkey)

Dinamo Minsk (Belarus)

Charleroi (Belgium)

PAOK (Greece)

FC Thun (Switzerland)

Legia Warsaw (Poland)

Thun, PAOK and Legia Warsaw confirmed as the final qualifiers this evening. That's as much as we'll know until UEFA start allocating clubs into mini groups ahead of the draw!

I understand that the winners of the games involving Aberdeen and St Johnstone, regardless of who they are, will join us in the unseeded pot for Qualifying round 2.

Therefore, we can face 33 clubs, 23 of whom will be the winners from a Q1 game. The other 10 potential opponents are:

NK Rijeka (Croatia)

FC Copenhagen (Denmark)

Astra (Romania)

Trabzonspor (Turkey)

Dinamo Minsk (Belarus)

Charleroi (Belgium)

PAOK (Greece)

FC Thun (Switzerland)

Legia Warsaw (Poland)

I don't get this at all. You're saying some of the teams who are in rd 1 will be seeded even though we're not? This is because their league is ranked higher or what?

I'm a bit like Johndo. Hope to be there unless it's Boratland. Would have preferred the likes of Iceland, Faroes, Wales, Ireland but hopeful we can get Charleroi or Copenhagen or Thun or somewhere accessible like that...

Yeah, it is a bit clumsy, but as UEFA do the 2nd round draw immediately after the 1st round draw, and it does cause some confusion.

Looking at the list below, we are on the right-hand-side (unseeded) and will remain there regardless of what happens in the 1st round games.

The teams on the left will definitely be seeded. The asterisk effectively means 'winner of the tie involving that club'. If an asterisked club loseses their 1st round game, the victors would assume those coefficient points for the purposes of the 2nd round draw. eg if West Ham lost to say Cork City in the 1st round, Cork City would 'take over' West Ham's 16pts coefficient.

The 10 clubs I've listed above, you'll notice are not asterisked, as they are definitely seeded for the 2nd round draw! Complicated? You bet!!

post-3020-0-33559000-1433756164_thumb.jp

• Agree 1

Fundamentally, if an unseeded team beats.a seeded team they assume that teams seeded status.

It's the similar to what happened in the league cup this season past. Because the Huns were a round behind, they got our seeding when they beat us as the SPFL held the draw before we played them.

Yeah, it is a bit clumsy, but as UEFA do the 2nd round draw immediately after the 1st round draw, and it does cause some confusion.

Looking at the list below, we are on the right-hand-side (unseeded) and will remain there regardless of what happens in the 1st round games.

The teams on the left will definitely be seeded. The asterisk effectively means 'winner of the tie involving that club'. If an asterisked club loseses their 1st round game, the victors would assume those coefficient points for the purposes of the 2nd round draw. eg if West Ham lost to say Cork City in the 1st round, Cork City would 'take over' West Ham's 16pts coefficient.

The 10 clubs I've listed above, you'll notice are not asterisked, as they are definitely seeded for the 2nd round draw! Complicated? You bet!!

attachicon.gifseeding.jpg

Ah. So the coefficients are mainly with the clubs, not the strength of the league they play in (so Copenhagen are much stronger than West Ham). We've got a low coefficient because of our lack of experience so plenty of potential for a shock then  :wink:

The country a club comes from has only a 20% bearing on that club's coefficient. (it used to be 50%, then 33% but now 20%).

The other 80% is from that club's results over the preceding 5 seasons.

As we haven't attained any points from the last 5 seasons, our coefficient (as can be seen from the chart above in post #144) is 3.58

As this is 20% of the Scottish coefficient, it follows that Scotland should have a coefficient of 5 x 3.58 = 17.90

From UEFA's country coefficients chart, Scotland are currently ranked 23rd, with a 5-year coefficient of, indeed, 17.90

post-3020-0-03662500-1433763595_thumb.jp

By results, does this mean results in European matches only and if so, is this simply a measure of what stage a team progresses to or do they take account of the coefficient of the team they played?  It all seems unnecessarily complicated and unnecessarily flawed.  Surely what matters is how good a team is now rather than how good they were 4 or 5 years ago.  St Johnstone have a higher coefficient than we do despite the fact that we won the cup and finished above them in the league.  The same nonsense applied to golf would probably have Woods ranked as in the top 10 and Spieth a long way back.  It would also seem better to seed according to the performance of teams from that country as the strength of a league will be more consistent than that of an individual club within the league.  Inverness are in the competition this year because in the last domestic season we did better than teams who qualified for Europe in previous years and therefore should have a coefficient which reflects that.  Of course, none of this would make any difference on whether we were seeded this year but it could have a bearing on our Champions League campaign next year.

Actually passed KR Reykjavik and Hafnarfjörður yesterday as well as a few other stadiums in Iceland during the week. Unfortunately couldn't fit in a game anywhere despite my best efforts. Did think of going to Keflavik last Sunday night, right off the plane but thought better of mentioning it to Mrs Mantis.

• Scotty featured this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured this topic