ICT in Europe

EvilWhiteStripe

...why don't they just say "richest wins" and save the bother of playing the tournament? This cr@p drives me mad - all a stitch up to try to manufacture the desired outcome for the sponsors (e.g. Barca v Chelsea in CL). The same is true in the World Cup: of course, we all love to watch Brazil v Germany......but not every tournament! You'll note how slowly these numbers change to reflect performane: English clubs have had a pretty poor laast couple of years, but it's OK because they still rest on previous laurels and the country coefficient, so they retain the 4 CL places. P!sh.

• Scotty featured this topic

...why don't they just say "richest wins" and save the bother of playing the tournament? This cr@p drives me mad - all a stitch up to try to manufacture the desired outcome for the sponsors (e.g. Barca v Chelsea in CL). The same is true in the World Cup: of course, we all love to watch Brazil v Germany......but not every tournament! You'll note how slowly these numbers change to reflect performane: English clubs have had a pretty poor laast couple of years, but it's OK because they still rest on previous laurels and the country coefficient, so they retain the 4 CL places. P!sh.

England's Premier League will drop below the German Bundisliga when the new season kicks-off and the results from 5 years ago are 'dropped'.  And, provisionally, in two-seasons-time, they will drop to 4th behind Italy's Serie 'A' thus losing one of their Champions League places! They can avoid this, of course, by performing well in the Euro competitions.

But, yeah, I agree - it seems that it's a vicious-circle. The more frequently a country competes in Europe, the more points they accrue, enabling them to have more teams, starting at later stages...and so on! When you slip down the rankings like Scotland, it's very difficult to get back up!

In reply to DoofersDad.

Yeah, the coefficient points are awarded for performances in European competition, only!

Individual results in the Qualifying stages don't count per se, but rather the stage in which a club is eliminated. For example, if Aberdeen win both legs of their 1st round tie, they will join us in round 2. If ICT and Aberdeen then lost in round 2, both clubs would be awarded the same amount of points - the relevant points for 'Q2 losing teams'. The dons wouldn't gain any points on us for their earlier Q1 wins. So effectively, Inverness by entering in Q2, are assumed to have won in Q1.

My Screenshots have temporarily 'disappeared' from earlier due to Scotty tampering with something! I love the new layout, by the way. Said nobody, ever! Just kidding - I'm sure there are reasons an upgrade had to be done and it's probably a headache to do. I will get used to it - when Google Maps changed from Classic version to what they have now, I hated it, but have just grown to accept the new format.

The points are awarded as follows:

Q1 loser = 0.25

Q2 loser = 0.50

Q3 loser = 1.00

Play-off loser = 1.50

Reaching Group stage = 2.00 plus the opportunity to add to this with wins/draws in the group.

Knock-out stages = similarly tiered system with more points gained for further progress.

Anyway, from the coefficient table, Scotland are 17.90 points.

Inverness, with no Euro games in the past 5 years were awarded 20% of this = 3.58 All clubs get 1/5 of their country-coefficient.

Aberdeen are rated 4.58 which is exactly 1.00 more than us. they got that extra point for being eliminated by Real Sociedad last year in Q3.

And St Johnstone are on 6.08. Exactly 2.50 ahead of us. They gained 0.50 for a Q2 defeat to a Turkish club from 2012/13, 1.00 for a Q3 defeat by Dinamo Minsk in 2013/14 and 1.00 for a Q3 loss last year to Spartak Trnava.

• Agree 1

Of the 54 UEFA countries, there are only 8 we definitely can't be drawn against clubs from, at our (Q2) stage.

Obviously, Scotland are one, but the others are:

Portugal

Ukraine

Germany

Russia

Spain

France

Italy

Reading report on BT TV new European coverage, they mention that every British team will be shown at least once.  Assuming BT will not rate our chance of qualifying past Rnd 2, at least 1 (hopefully the away leg if drawn in some distant European country needing a month to get a visa) game will be on TV.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-reveals-champions-league-plans-S11363984692816

Team                                                     Airport                                                          Price

Copenhagen                                     Copenhagen                                                  £102

PAOK                                               Thessaloniki                                                    £331

Trabzonspor                                      Trabzon                                                          ----

Legia Warsaw                                    Warsaw                                                        £135

West Ham                                          London                                                         £43

Sheriff Tiraspol                                  Chisinau                                                         £365

Rijeka                                                 Rijeka                                                            £140

Rosenborg                                      Trondheim                                                        £358

Elfsborg                                              Gothenburg                                                  £150

Hadjuk SPlit                                       Split                                                               £266

Apollon Limassol                               ----------                                                             -----

Omonia Nicosia                                        -------------                                               -------

Thun                                                  --------                                                              --------

Astra Guirgui                                   Bucharest                                                              £233

Dinamo Minsk                                  Minsk                                                               £358 

Slovan Brataslava                                Brataslava                                                      £154

AIK                                                   Stockholm                                                            £195

Neftchi Baku                                       Baku                                                                  £570

Mlada Boleslav                                 ----------                                                                   -----

Slask Wroclaw                                  Wroclaw                                                                £178

Zilina                                                 Brataslava                                                           £154

Aktobe                                                     -------                                                             ------

Go ahead Eagles                                   Amsterdam                                                        £163

Red Star Belgrade                                 Belgrade                                                            £468

Debrecen                                               Debrecen                                                          -------

Brondby                                                Copenhagen                                                     £102

Charleroi                                                Brussels                                                             £77

Shaktyor Soligorsk                                     -----                                                                 -------

DInamo Tblisi                                        Tblisi                                                                   £573

Litex Lovech                                            Plovdiv                                                             £140

Vojvodina                                                ---------                                                            ------

Spartak Trnava                                           --------                                                           ------

FH                                                              Reykjavik                                                         £449

That is a rough list of who we can get in the 2nd round as they are all the seeded teams.  Some of them may end up losing to unseeded teams in the 1st round but out of 51 teams last year only 8 teams managed to beat the seeded side so I don't think there will be too many changes.  I had a look on skyscanner for a quick look at flights for each destination, there was some places I just couldn't find flights for though.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY
  • Agree 1

From looking at the 1st round seedings it will be very unlikely we will get a trip away to Ireland/Wales.  I just can't see them winning against the seeded sides.

Linfield are also a seeded side in the 1st round so if they win and get through they are then unseeded for the second round so can't play us anyway.

Of the 54 UEFA countries, there are only 8 we definitely can't be drawn against clubs from, at our (Q2) stage.

Obviously, Scotland are one, but the others are:

Portugal

Ukraine

Germany

Russia

Spain

France

Italy

​Can we play Austrian teams?  Could only find one side and they are also unseeded for the 2nd round draw.

Also have a look for:

Liechtenstein

Israel

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

• Scotty unfeatured this topic

Rijeka you can get to by Ryanair via Stanstead for £40 each way. Now that would be a great place to go. Historically ruled by the fabulously named Uzkoks of Senj (pirates/ dodgy/ exceedingly violent) and cheap as chips. Plovdiv from same aiport £41, quick side trip to sunny beach for the uninitiated. Hideous but very cheap.

Edited by davie

Been to split, Dubrovnik and Zagreb before and loved it, Croatia would be one of my fav ties but would be hard going to win. 

I thought the price to Rijeka was quite high actually, it was telling me there was 2 changes, one stopping off in Riga!! Most of the others are all change in London with a couple direct.

There is a team from Liechtenstein and one from Israel in round 1, so technically can face us . But, as far as I can see, you're quite right, it seems impossible for us to draw an Austrian team! I admit, I was lazy and didn't look at all potential first-round permutations that could subsequently affect us!

But having now done so, I'd say I we cannot visit the following:

Austria, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Russia, Italy, Ukraine, France.

(where's the paste button gone!?)

The team from Liechtenstein and Israel are seeded for round 1 though so are not able to be seeded for round 2 as they can't take over a higher ranking.  That's why I think that's another 2 countries we can't go to.

Looks to me like we can eliminate the following seeded sides from Round 1 as they will be unseeded for Round 2 regardless of who they beat.

Bosnia and Herzegovina Željezničar CC: 6.000

• Agree 1

(where's the paste button gone!?)

Just for you ..... it should be back. The new version of CKEditor supplied with the forum upgrade is (purposely) bare bones as there are typically keyboard shortcuts to do the same thing. 

The team from Liechtenstein and Israel are seeded for round 1 though so are not able to be seeded for round 2 as they can't take over a higher ranking.  That's why I think that's another 2 countries we can't go to.

You are right. I have made a total arse of this and am deeply ashamed.

I suppose it shoes I'm not a total anorak - perhaps just a fleece!

• Agree 1

Reading report on BT TV new European coverage, they mention that every British team will be shown at least once.  Assuming BT will not rate our chance of qualifying past Rnd 2, at least 1 (hopefully the away leg if drawn in some distant European country needing a month to get a visa) game will be on TV.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-reveals-champions-league-plans-S11363984692816

​It certainly sounds like we would get one of our games on, however I understand the rights start from the group stages so don't include the qualifying rounds, and the channels don't start until 1st of August, so it looks unlikely. I guess the ' Each participating British team' bit means each British team participating when the channels start.

• Agree 1

I take it that the other minnows from nations like Albania, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Wales etc.,  are all in the 1st qualifying round and not seeded. They don't appear in the list of 66 above.

For me a trip to either Denmark, Holland, Croatia, Greece or Cyprus are the most attractive and reachable by one flight from Scotland. Traveling via hub airports like Gatwick, Milan and Geneva can also put you within easy reach of many other places. 

The draw on Monday is being streamed live on the UEFA website.

Q1 starts at 1pm followed by our draw, Q2 at 2.30pm. (or as UEFA put it, 14.30 CET...which I think is still 2.30pm our time, remembering we're in BST)!

The draw on Monday is being streamed live on the UEFA website.

Q1 starts at 1pm followed by our draw, Q2 at 2.30pm. (or as UEFA put it, 14.30 CET...which I think is still 2.30pm our time, remembering we're in BST)!

I think they CET puts them an hour ahead? 

So it would be 1330hrs here for our draw.

CET is one hour ahead of UTC. (Winter times) CEST is one hour ahead of BST (Summer times). The above is wrong, in that most of Europe are in CEST and not CET, though the outcome is correct.

Anyone want to know the world time zone abbreviations can go here http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/

European countries using CET in the winter and CEST in the summer

• Albania
  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark (mainland)
  • France
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Holy See/Vatican City
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Kosovo
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia, Republic of
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain - except Canary Islands, which are on WET in winter and WEST in summer
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland