car park fines Scotland

Feb82000

4 hours ago, jagster said:

I'm working with a sparky on a job just now and he was saying he received a fine/invoice for the same car park almost a year ago and he is still receiving letters from debt collectors even now . They are obviously persistent 

I have to say that I'm not aware of anyone who has been pursued to the ultimate degree by these people but have also heard other anecdotal reports that thy eventually go away if you ignore them.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Upon receipt of the letter just cross out your address on the front of the envelope and write the following above this.."Post Office, please return to sender, no longer at this address ." and then repost it. :clapping:

I am stunned since I thought that this parking malarkey only happened in Canada where any  store like Sears, Zellers, Walmart etc. would never dream of losing your business by allowing parking issues to affect you like this. The stores are almost certainly getting a cut from the firms "running the parking".

However, my challenges are with hospitals where finding a  parking spot alone is a real issue and the related fees can be very stiff.  But your fees (60 pounds, etc., are completely ludicrous even if that's a fine for not paying up or something). When you go to a hospital, especially to see a close relative who may be very sick, the last thing you want to worry about is parking fees or even finding a spot. And I have been advised by hospital staff that the hospital gets a cut off the fees charged....nice one, Cyril ! So I have found a local church down the street where there is free parking so long as you don't overstay. The church I use encourages this and actually allocates spots set aside for cars for those of us hospital bound. .

Remember,     "Once you pay the gelt to the Dane you will never be rid of the Dane." so never pay up.:whoosh:

• Agree 1

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:47 AM, Scarlet Pimple said:

Upon receipt of the letter just cross out your address on the front of the envelope and write the following above this.."Post Office, please return to sender, no longer at this address ." and then repost it. :clapping:

I am stunned since I thought that this parking malarkey only happened in Canada where any  store like Sears, Zellers, Walmart etc. would never dream of losing your business by allowing parking issues to affect you like this. The stores are almost certainly getting a cut from the firms "running the parking".

However, my challenges are with hospitals where finding a  parking spot alone is a real issue and the related fees can be very stiff.  But your fees (60 pounds, etc., are completely ludicrous even if that's a fine for not paying up or something). When you go to a hospital, especially to see a close relative who may be very sick, the last thing you want to worry about is parking fees or even finding a spot. And I have been advised by hospital staff that the hospital gets a cut off the fees charged....nice one, Cyril ! So I have found a local church down the street where there is free parking so long as you don't overstay. The church I use encourages this and actually allocates spots set aside for cars for those of us hospital bound. .

Remember,     "Once you pay the gelt to the Dane you will never be rid of the Dane." so never pay up.:whoosh:

You may be happy to learn Scarlet that the Scottish Government outlawed charges for hospital parking some time ago.

Very interesting, Kingsmills. You would think that doing this, not charging parking fees at hospitals in Scotland,  was common sense but whoa!- how wrong can you be in Canada?

Our Provincial Government  charges us  about $136 Can. per month per family depending on how many people are in the group for Medicare . That's about eighty two pounds using the average of the buying and selling rates of exchange.  Then they get a return of some of the money from the Federal Government.

At this time they are screaming because they want the Feds to cough up a lot more than the  annual small increase of about 3 times the Federal inflation rate which the Feds do refund and which, personally I think is reasonable. Alternatively , in view of the varying financial needs of each Province I think that the Canadian Federal Government  (like the National Health Service) should pay 100%of all the  outlays for the Medicare expenses. In short, the Provincial Governments really want the Feds to finance the bulk of the outlays which, in British Columbia for annual Health care, runs to several Billion dollars. My Retinal surgeon started off billing the Province $500,000 per annum  about 4-5 years ago but her last  billing, for 2014, was $2,500,000. And she has only one other competitor in B.C. who beats her figures and is  the top biller.

So, naturally, any car parking fees that they can hive off from the car parking administrators is grist to the mill for  them and that's why they won't change the system any time soon. So the solution is...just don't pay up....of find a nice church parson nearby. :laugh:

Could these contracts not have been bought out, like the Skye Bridge one was?

Anyway, this free parking isn't quite so great when you realise that it deprives the NHS of vital revenue. Probably the right thing on balance, though.

• 2 months later...

Hahahaha

Another letter from the Smart Parkers. Debt recovery letter stating our ingnoring their recent correspondence. They say they put the account on hold for a stipulated time and since I have not responded they will now recommence the recovery process to collect the full amount. If I do not pay by the 29th of March it will be transfered to the creditors legal team.

Date of my waiting for my kids offence was 11th of April 2015.

Do you think they have a 2 year cutting off point where they are legally no longer allowed to try and scare people into paying such a wrong discredited overcharge?

18 minutes ago, bauhaus said:

Hahahaha

Another letter from the Smart Parkers. Debt recovery letter stating our ingnoring their recent correspondence. They say they put the account on hold for a stipulated time and since I have not responded they will now recommence the recovery process to collect the full amount. If I do not pay by the 29th of March it will be transfered to the creditors legal team.

Date of my waiting for my kids offence was 11th of April 2015.

Do you think they have a 2 year cutting off point where they are legally no longer allowed to try and scare people into paying such a wrong discredited overcharge?

In a word no. Such obligations do not prescribe for five years.

Don't know if the law in Scotland re parking fines is the same as down here in Englandshire.

I got a £100 fine ticket stuck to my windscreen back in November (2016) in a retail park in Reading which had a two hour limit.  My offence was that I had been seen leaving the retail park on foot within the 2 hour period.  This was true as I'd nipped into town for 10 mins after shopping in the retail park. I'd gone back to my car with the purchase in the retail park before leaving the park, and I was back well within the 2 hours.

I didn't pay and so far have not received any follow up demands.  I did check out on line if the DVLC were legally obliged to give out personal details to these parking companies.  I found that the DVLC's policy is to release such personal details only if the parking company is a member of an approved 'parking company association'.  On checking out the parking company I fell foul of, UK CPS Ltd, I found that their membership of the approved association had lapsed in October 2016, for non payment of their annual subscription.

So, I'm assuming that the DVLC will not release my name and address to them.  But with you guys being harried for payment after 2 years, maybe I'm counting my chickens in thinking 'I've got away with it' after only a mere 4 months.

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

This week they have also recommenced threatening letters regarding my wife's 1 minute overstay in 2015, after a year of silence. £160 for 1 minute's parking seems rather steep to me!

Yngwie,

I too had a golden silence for over a year. I was a similar fault, took 11 minutes from me arriving in the car park, to the wife and kids pay there shopping in TK Maxx, and to us leaving the car park. I did not get out of the car, I did not use a parking space as they were full! Take it this means if you enter the parking area, find its full and wait, then leave out of frustrations at not getting a space, it can still cost you £ 160 to drive around!!!!! Not right at all, these people are scum

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...