Performance of SNP MPs in Westminster

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Getting back to the "Performance of SNP MPs in Westminster", I note that the SNP's foreign affairs spokesman didn't attend today's debate on the case for UK military action in Syria because he was instead occupied with important constituency business attending the unveiling of a portrait of himself. You couldn't make it up!

If it had been important constituency business we would have had to ask - which constituency? Gordon (MP) or Aberdeenshire East (MSP). So, come to think of it, that also reduces the SNP to "The 53 and a half".

So why is Eck the only politician sitting in both houses? Is it because his ego demands it? Very possibly. Or is it because he is quite happy to see the electors of these constituencies being short changed and sacrificed to the ego of a megalomaniac who clearly considers that having his portrait unveiled is more important than the current most pressing world crisis? Very likely. Or can MPs/MSPs well paid jobs be quite easily be done in half a week (and hence for half a salary), hence enabling Eck to do both? If they give a toss about their constituents, I very much doubt it

On the other hand, maybe Eck stated away because he thought his chum Vladimir might not be very chuffed if he was seen to attend so he went and found an excuse.

Official figures show that between being elected to Westminster and July 20th the man has barely shut up there, having put in his tuppence worth 182 times. Over the same period, the spoke at Holyrood only ONCE. Since he has a seat in each chamber, his abandonment of Holyrood is surely not only a demonstration of total disregard and disrespect for his Aberdeenshire East constituents but also an indication of the trivial importance he clearly attaches to the Scottish Parliament compared with Westminster.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

My view of the  SNP Members of the House of commons is that they frequently make a lot of noise way above their station, it is like they just want to be noticed. Their role appears to be " love us or hate us but don't ignore us". None of them seem to be able to make a speech without reading it, something which really infuriates me, as it has obviously been written by a party Guru.  The order of the day is to be bad tempered and confrontational. I feel it is what is known medically as "little man syndrome",  These are people who by definition are totally opposed to Westminster and don't, give a toss for anything other than making trouble.. They seem to me to demonise anyone who they don't agree with . Their political acumen is virtually zero making cheap points and constant jibes. They should get into their heads that the house represents the interests of 65 million people and that they seem to think that the 6 million they root for are the most  important. Beggars belief.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, Laurence said:

My view of the  SNP Members of the House of commons is that they frequently make a lot of noise way above their station, it is like they just want to be noticed. Their role appears to be " love us or hate us but don't ignore us". None of them seem to be able to make a speech without reading it, something which really infuriates me, as it has obviously been written by a party Guru.  The order of the day is to be bad tempered and confrontational. I feel it is what is known medically as "little man syndrome",  These are people who by definition are totally opposed to Westminster and don't, give a toss for anything other than making trouble.. They seem to me to demonise anyone who they don't agree with . Their political acumen is virtually zero making cheap points and constant jibes. They should get into their heads that the house represents the interests of 65 million people and that they seem to think that the 6 million they root for are the most  important. Beggars belief.

Nothing I would disagree with there, except perhaps to suggest that "Chippy Jimmy Syndrome" might be a more appropriate medical definition.

That's it then..... 397-223 in favour of bombing IS, presumably with "The 53 and a half" unanimously against. And, with this 223 out of 620 votes cast, can we take it that the SNP, in the aftermath of "The 44.7", will now be styling themselves as part of "The 36"?

So, unless someone broke ranks and is already on the first rendition flight to St Kilda, that's a 100% vote against from the SNP, who would therefore appear to be well out of step with the people they claim to represent. I haven't seen many Scottish polls on this but one, albeit with a relatively small sample, produces a modest margin in favour of bombing. Then there's this pure beezer of a much larger, Saltire-festooned multi-issue internet poll. You know the kind I mean -  obviously wide open to mass Cybernattery and it's easy to predict the outcome of every single question without even looking. And even that can only manage to fabricate 72% against bombing! So clearly the 100% SNP Parliamentary vote means The Party is well out of step with the Scottish electorate - which presumably means that this is a clear "trigger" for the SNP to secede from Scotland!!

On the other hand, there are four very good reasons for this presumed 100% SNP response.

* The Party's notoriously Stalinist whipping arrangements, complete with rubber hos(i)epipes.

* SNP apparatchiks' complete inability to think thoughts not fed to them by The Party.

* An unmissable opportunity for a unanimous chorus of "sh!te" to the Tories saying "sugar".

* And who gives a toss anyway about what the Scottish people think when there's discontent and disharmony to be sown within the UK?

53 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Thank goodness the current Scottish government had the foresight to build a new Forth crossing. Something previous administrations, and UK pre-dev, always put to the back burner.

Sorry Alex, you are so naïve and gullible. Do you not realise that they only invest in such vital infrastructure projects, including the long overdue duelling of the A9 and A96 with a view to sewing seeds of discontent and agitation for independence and are not at all concerned with prudent investment in the future of the nation.

In fact, it seems that every step the take at Westminster, Holyrood and local government is so motivated. Worse still, they are guilty of disturbing the equilibrium of 'The Mother of Parliaments' by acting above their, presumably second class, station.

• Agree 2

The SNP are very good at claiming credit for just about anything they can whilst shirking responsibility for their failures. 

There was an inevitability about both projects and it just so happens that the SNP were in power when the decisions were made. They have had to be pushed hard to put money into dualing the A9 and nearly 9 years after coming into office we are only now seeing the first work starting.  It is hardly something to brag about. 

Following discovery of major structural problems which meant the bridge would have a very limited life at full loading, the previous administration commissioned work to identify options for replacement. When the SNP came into office, they simply had no option but to approve it. 

I appreciate that there is precious little the SNP can justifiably claim credit for so I suppose I can understand why they are so desperate to claim credit for these infrastructure projects. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Thank goodness the current Scottish government had the foresight to build a new Forth crossing. Something previous administrations, and UK pre-dev, always put to the back burner.

Well you certainly have to give these Nats credit for consistent and indeed persistent creativity! Doofer's Dad makes a lot of good points a couple of posts before this one. But with regard to Alex' spin on this sorry issue, the reality is that the new Forth crossing is not an factor in this current mess since it is incomplete and merely diverts attention from the real problem. This shambles results from it suddenly emerging that the structural integrity of the present bridge has been allowed to get so bad that the whole thing has had to be closed immediately. This follows an assurance back in May that everything was fine and now it suddenly turns out that there are potential structural problems right across its entire length. And, while operation is contracted out to Amey, the buck stops with the Scottish Government since transport is a devolved matter. This shambolic situation has arisen on the SNP's watch.... unless they happen to claim that a great big Westmonster arose out of the Forth and attacked the underside of the bridge!

Five years ago, almost to the day, Father Jack was obliged to resign following transport chaos during bad weather. Given that the buck for this far more serious situation stops with Derek MacKay, will he be next?

The SNP are indeed, as DD says, great at taking credit for anything they can (or even can't), whilst ignoring failures. So they tell us that:-

They gave us a new Forth crossing...... whilst conveniently ignoring that the current disaster is a result of their incompetent stewardship of the present one.

They gave us a new state of the art hospital in Glasgow.... whilst conveniently ignoring that the place lurches from one crisis to another.

They gave us the Curriculum for Excellence... whilst conveniently ignoring the mayhem that the cack handed implementation of this scheme has created in schools.

They gave us Police Scotland.....I rest my case m'lud!!!!!!

That just about covers most areas of devolved power where the SNP are demonstrably making a complete pig's ear of things whilst telling us all how wonderful they are. It's simply an extension of Peace is War, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength..... oh yes, and GTA is worth more than the oil!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The SNP are very good at claiming credit for just about anything they can whilst shirking responsibility for their failures. 

There was an inevitability about both projects and it just so happens that the SNP were in power when the decisions were made. They have had to be pushed hard to put money into dualing the A9 and nearly 9 years after coming into office we are only now seeing the first work starting.  It is hardly something to brag about. 

Following discovery of major structural problems which meant the bridge would have a very limited life at full loading, the previous administration commissioned work to identify options for replacement. When the SNP came into office, they simply had no option but to approve it. 

I appreciate that there is precious little the SNP can justifiably claim credit for so I suppose I can understand why they are so desperate to claim credit for these infrastructure projects. 

DD you are wrong quoting 9 years, the SNP were wanting to make a start on the A9 in their first term but all the other parties voted against it and the money was used to bail out the Edinburgh Trams!

Edited by IBM
  • Agree 3

Think DD if you look back you'll find SNP were a minority government from 07 - 11 and struggled to get parliamentary approval for many things.

Charles you are so academic and clever perhaps you could give us all a lesson on metallurgy. This bridge is inspected constantly but until now no serious problems have been found and engineers deemed it safe. The most recent inspection has revealed some cracks in structural steel and engineers decided to take precautions. That cannot be blamed on SNP or anyone else for that matter.

As for new bridge perhaps some should research the efforts labour activist Duncan Hothersall went to to stop this happening.

• Agree 1

I noticed recently with the media ( usually STV )  if the news is bad like the bridge  crumbling away

The spokesman / woman  for the Scottish government is not tagged SNP ,

But if the news is good like the buyout of the community  land in the Western Isles , The spokesman is tagged SNP

Is there some sort of love in between the  TV broadcaster and the SNP I wonder ?

I have thought for a long time if a Politian is interviewed on any subject and s/he is given publicity, a view a different party politian should also be taken it is only fair.  Broadcasters should not be seen to favour either side.

The rail bridge nearby is old fashioned metal construction and has stood the test of time.

I wonder why the modern one is cracking up after only 50 years? It is no good saying they did not realise the weight of traffic would rise. It is the job of the designers to anticipate all eventualities, is it not?

I also wonder how our fans will get to the match today in Edinburgh ?

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Think DD if you look back you'll find SNP were a minority government from 07 - 11 and struggled to get parliamentary approval for many things.

Charles you are so academic and clever perhaps you could give us all a lesson on metallurgy. This bridge is inspected constantly but until now no serious problems have been found and engineers deemed it safe. The most recent inspection has revealed some cracks in structural steel and engineers decided to take precautions. That cannot be blamed on SNP or anyone else for that matter.

As for new bridge perhaps some should research the efforts labour activist Duncan Hothersall went to to stop this happening.

I thought all the Scottish governments until the last one where minority governments.  No excuse for being inept often a minority government is a good thing. not an excuse for bad government.

12 minutes ago, Laurence said:

I thought all the Scottish governments until the last one where minority governments.  No excuse for being inept often a minority government is a good thing. not an excuse for bad government.

Not so. First two were Lab/Lib coalitions

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

I also wonder how you've managed to miss the announcement that the game was postponed - almost five hours ago!

He was so busy "Nat Bashing" that he missed it :lol:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IBM said:

He was so busy "Nat Bashing" that he missed it :lol:

Indeed... NatBashing.... part of a longstanding Great British tradition which manifests itself in various forms. For instance during WW2, British prisoners of war used to indulge in "Goonbaiting"... "Goons" being their name for German prison guards. This was especially prevalent in Colditz and no stone was left unturned by way of generally ridiculing the guards or doing anything possible to undermine German morale.

The French got involved too and on one occasion a German officer asked for volunteers among prisoners to work for the Reich. A French prisoner immediately stepped forward, loudly declaring that he would rather work for 100 Germans than one Frenchman. The officer asked him what his occupation was. He replied "Undertaker!"

They also used to put used razor blades in the pigswill by way of depriving the Hun of as much livestock as they could.

These are pretty natural kinds of responses when oppressed by the Forces of Darkness..... hence NatBashing.

• Disagree 2

7 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Come on Charles, you are a bit slow off the mark in laying the blame for the recent inclement weather at the feet of the SNP. It appears that they are at fault for every other ill in the land...

Not even Charles could blame the SNP for the weather. 

He could however, ask where the hell the First Minister is when much of Scotland is affected by the severest flooding for many years, and when much of Eastern Scotland is suffering travel chaos and economic consequences from the closure of the FRB. He could also ask if it was wise or necessary of her to recently commit £12m of our money to assist with flooding in Africa, on top of the massive overseas aid and development  budgets that the UK government controls.

Anyway, to answer the question, whilst the UK was holding a COBRA meeting and the PM visited the flood affected areas, our FM proceeded with a pointless jaunt to Paris.

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

He could however, ask where the hell the First Minister is when much of Scotland is affected by the severest flooding for many years, and when much of Eastern Scotland is suffering travel chaos and economic consequences from the closure of the FRB. He could also ask if it was wise or necessary of her to recently commit £12m of our money to assist with flooding in Africa, on top of the massive overseas aid and development  budgets that the UK government controls.

Anyway, to answer the question, whilst the UK was holding a COBRA meeting and the PM visited the flood affected areas, our FM proceeded with a pointless jaunt to Paris.

Well, the Scottish Government has to do something with the extra money they get through the Barnet formula.  But what is all that about floods in South Africa?  I'm in Africa at the moment and there are water restrictions in places.  In fact it is so bad I'm having to drink wine instead.

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Did you not know that she's really there to get a Parisian artist to paint her portrait and she can then absent herself to have it unveiled the next time something important arises?

Very good point and well made though Yngwie! These SNP people should forget about trying to be the statespersons which, simply as heads of devolved administrations, they are not. They would be far better instead concentrating on clearing up the mess they have created or allowed to happen in various devolved functions like police, heatlh, education and now transport.

Maybe we should simply abbreviate the title of this thread to (under) "Performance of SNP".

3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Well, the Scottish Government has to do something with the extra money they get through the Barnet formula.  But what is all that about floods in South Africa?  I'm in Africa at the moment and there are water restrictions in places.  In fact it is so bad I'm having to drink wine instead.

DD you can read the BBC article on the link below which will give you some more information and facts on the First Ministers trip.  We take our water for granted up here and even south of the border I would prefer a glass of wine instead, enjoy your trip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35020463